young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

young key forwards, who will be the best and why long term?

• jesse hogon

Votes: 107 36.3%
  • josh schache

Votes: 32 10.8%
  • jonathan patton

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • tom boyd

Votes: 40 13.6%
  • paddy mccartin

Votes: 31 10.5%
  • darcy moore

Votes: 33 11.2%
  • joe daniher

Votes: 44 14.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It just reminded me of the usual "look how good my teams young player is" type threads when the answer is really, really obvious. I still shutter at the Buddy threads earlier in his career.
No Jeremy Cameron?
He'd be ahead of everyone else on that list
agree, when i started the thread i intended it to be a thread on non-established young key forwards, that was why i didn't include players like jeremy cameron and the suns tom lynch.
in hindsight a few days later i realized i shouldn't have included jesse hogan either, (too late, i think he already had 20 of the first 23 or 24 votes).
my thinking at the time was that he had just 1 admittedly very good season but i thought you could still compare him to the others i included in the poll.
i know now that was an error in judgement, ahh well you live and learn hopefully:). it would have been a lot more interesting without jesse in the poll, and a lot lot closer i would say. without jesse there i go for josh schache, but i admit a hint of bias.

You'd expect a 4 year 70+ game player would.

Although I wouldn't swap Hogan for him.
Cameron was arguably against every player on the list at the equivalent stage of career as well, although Hogan is also well ahead of where you'd expect a young KPF to be

I repeat my contention that Hogan has been VERY overrated.

He started at a higher level than many young talls do, but the expectation that he would hold a trajectory that would keep him rated higher than some of the other young talls that needed some time didn't sit right with me.

Imagine Hogan after a couple more years. Will destroy it

Same can be said for Boyd.
You can clearly see he's still incredibly raw but slowly but surely he is starting to work out his own capabilities.
Improvement is noticeable this year compared to last. With his leap and an extra 5-8 kilo's of pure muscle, Boyd will be kicking bags on a regular basis.

He started at a higher level than many young talls do, but the expectation that he would hold a trajectory that would keep him rated higher than some of the other young talls that needed some time didn't sit right with me.
Same can be said for Boyd.
You can clearly see he's still incredibly raw but slowly but surely he is starting to work out his own capabilities.
Improvement is noticeable this year compared to last. With his leap and an extra 5-8 kilo's of pure muscle, Boyd will be kicking bags on a regular basis.
yep. some said this was a ridiculous thread when i started it ie. it's obviously hogan, a lot said.
i stick by my original thoughts any of those listed in the poll could very realistically be the best KPF in 4 or 5 years IMO.
after schaches first 2 games he has shown a lot for a first year KPF, not bad being 3rd for contested marks (admit small sample size) in the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Moore is my overwhelming favourite to be the best KPF of this generation. I think with the way the game is currently heading, players who jump and take the mark at the highest point are the most valuable, as well as those who have the mixture of speed to get seperation, a mix I think Moore has better than others. He can get free of his man through his athleticism as well as jump on the pack and take contested grabs.

Daniher is going to be great too as in he has that extra height and really good mobility. Hogan doesn't have the extra height but he has a much stronger frame to outwrestle opposition KPD's.

As of such I don't think Tom Boyd will be a top 5 KPF. I think he should slot into the top ten but the big string to his bow is that he can probably play another position better than any others in that he's a pretty decent ruck option as well.

Instead of being a 70 goal forward he might be a 45 - 55 goal forward who can maintain a physical presence in the ruck when the main ruck is resting. That versatility is invaluable. But he certainly is more one dimensional as a forward than most of the others. His only real avenue to kicking goals is taking contested marks/drawing frees. He's not going to get a whole lot of easy ball on the lead, nor can he produce much on ground level.

Tom Boyd simply isn't required to kick 70 + goals a season for the dogs to get to where they want to be. Obviously have other more dangerous goal kickers.

Hogan on that list but no option for Jeremy Cameron?
If Daniher gets his kicking right he could be anything - super athletic, great hands and flies for a grab like not many others.
posted this back in january in reply to similar queries.
agree, when i started the thread i intended it to be a thread on non-established young key forwards, that was why i didn't include players like jeremy cameron and the suns tom lynch.
in hindsight a few days later i realized i shouldn't have included jesse hogan either, (too late, i think he already had 20 of the first 23 or 24 votes).
my thinking at the time was that he had just 1 admittedly very good season but i thought you could still compare him to the others i included in the poll.
i know now that was an error in judgement, ahh well you live and learn hopefully:). it would have been a lot more interesting without jesse in the poll, and a lot lot closer i would say. without jesse there i go for josh schache, but i admit a hint of bias.

1. He's a loafer and will have difficulty with AFL quality defenders.
2. The reason why he dominated the champs was because he was playing in the team that dominated the champs. He now plays for Brisbane.
3. He's just nowhere near as talented as Hogon, Danniher, Boyd, and Patton (excluding injuries). Also a few players you didn't didn't mention like Jeremy Cameron and McCarthy

I rank them as:

1. Cameron
2. Danniher
3. Boyd
4. Hogan
4. Moore=McCarthy
5. Schache
6. Patton
7. McCartin

3. Boyd
4. Hogan

the *

So where does that trajectory end according to you?

So where does that trajectory end according to you?

No idea. I'd suggest he's probably going to be a very good forward for quite a long time.

BUT, the knee jerk reaction (as evidenced by this poll) that suggest he will be the best of the mentioned group simply because his FIRST year was better than that of his peers is short sighted and foolish.

No idea. I'd suggest he's probably going to be a very good forward for quite a long time.

BUT, the knee jerk reaction (as evidenced by this poll) that suggest he will be the best of the mentioned group simply because his FIRST year was better than that of his peers is short sighted and foolish.

It isn't just his first year though, it was how he did it. Out bodied guys like Rance (The only time he got towelled up in 2015 was by the AA CHB in Hurley), was great at ground level, kicked very accurately. I'll be fair and say there is also a bias because he plays that traditional CHF style that everyone loves to watch as well. He isn't a guarantee to be the best of the group, but he is definitely the favourite.

It isn't just his first year though, it was how he did it. Out bodied guys like Rance (The only time he got towelled up in 2015 was by the AA CHB in Hurley), was great at ground level, kicked very accurately. I'll be fair and say there is also a bias because he plays that traditional CHF style that everyone loves to watch as well. He isn't a guarantee to be the best of the group, but he is definitely the favourite.

No it is just his first year.

If that level of performance was shown in his fourth or fifth year, he'd be considered 'decent' or 'good'.

And normally taller players take four or five years to start performing consistently well.

He was performing well in his first year, bravo. But my assertion was completely correct; people assumed that he would continue an upward trajectory and stay ahead of his listed peers. In reality, he simply got to a level sooner than others. Doesn't mean he'll continue upwards, in fact I think it's far likelier that many of the other names listed here will meet or exceed his capacities as they develop and mature.

So no, he is not 'definitely the favourite'. The only thing definite about this comparison is once again the denizens of BigFooty are shown to be rather short sighted, and prone to ignoring historical lessons.

He's undersized and add to that he's a high impact forward which is going to affect his longevity as a player. He's a man child and players like Daniher, Boyd and Moore all have much more development in them - all are 200cm+, are very mobile and kick better than Hogon. They're effectively in a different weight division and I'd expect all three to have better careers if they fulfull their potential.

Also, now that Daniher is showing what he can do I don't Hogon is even the favourite to be the best anymore.

He's undersized and add to that he's a high impact forward which is going to affect his longevity as a player. He's a man child and players like Daniher, Boyd and Moore all have much more development in them - all are 200cm+, are very mobile and kick better than Hogon. They're effectively in a different weight division and I'd expect all three to have better careers if they fulfull their potential.

Also, now that Daniher is showing what he can do I don't Hogon is even the favourite to be the best anymore.

Oh I don't know about that, Daniher is a bit wonky with his kicking.

If he wasn't, he'd probably be the form forward of the comp at this early stage of the year.

Undersized? Just because 200cm are coming into vogue doesn't make his 194cm undersized (Note: the tallest player to win a coleman in recent memory was Buddy at 198, the rest are around the 195 mark). He is far better at ground level and around the ground than any of those you just mentioned, and is at worst equal to any of them in goalkicking (Except Daniher, who is a shocking kick). 'Man child'? Look at his body? He has 0 definition in his arms, just because he came in with a big frame doesn't mean it isn't going to develop at all. Compare Tom Hawkins in 07-09 and 2013 onwards, you will see a very big difference in his body. I guess guys like Kennedy, Walker and J Riewoldt are also stuffed because they are in a 'different weight division'.

Back