Your teams current spine and your teams spine for the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Current (I rate this the best spine in the competition)

FB: Daniel "sauce head" Merret
CHB: Patfull
Centre: Simon Black
CHF : Brown
FF : Bradshaw

Future.

FB: Daniel "sauce head" Merret
CHB: Patfull/Tyler/Collier
Centre: Rich/Proud
CHF : Henderson
FF : Mitch Clark

Just looking at that spine makes the mouth water :D

Current

Glass
Hunter
Kerr
Hansen
Lynch

Future

Wilkes
Mackenzie/Brown/Spangher
Ebert
Kennedy/Brown
Notte

Currrent:

FB: Hudghton
CHB: Maguire/Fisher
C: Ball
HF: Riewoldt
FF: Kosi
RR: King

Future:

FB: Gilbert
CHB: Maguire (he's only 24)
C: Armitage/BJ
CHF: Allen/Cahill/Anyone
FF: Lynch
RR: McEvoy

Kosi and Roo should be around for another 6 years though. Not really sure if Lynch is big enough to command FF. We got Roo for at least 5 years so we don't really have an up and coming CHF. And I don't really think we have a nailed down CHB. Fish, Maguire and BJ seem to rotate through it.

Ball's still young enough to be our main centreman in 5-6 years, but I chucked Armo in there cos he's the sex.

Current:

Gilham
Croad
Mitchell
Franklin
Roughead

In five years time (provided all goes well):

Lisle/Croad
Schoenmakers
Mitchell/Ellis
Thorp/Franklin
Roughead

big concerns over the Saints backline if Maguire doesnt get the foot right. Gilbert looks vitally important but he is just so unco.

Defenders draft next year for the saints i reckon.

Gilbert's a very good player in the making. Would love him down at Hawthorn.

This thread was created by a dons supporter I'm assuming, they've been going on about their spine for years and a day, a spine is pointless without a midfield, when will they learn.. I also think it's a bit funny that the futures of so many clubs rely on players who only joined the club 5 days ago...

FWIW, here is St Kilda's

Current -
FB: Hudghton
HB: S.Fisher
C: Hayes
HF: Riewoldt
FF: Kosi
R: King

One of the best going around, however when Ball went down our lack of midfield depth cost us a spot in the GF...

Our future is -
FB: Maguire
HB: Gilbert
C: Goddard
HF: T.Walsh (And he's not even at the clu yet :p:p)
FF: Allen

This is so irrelevent though, because who knows how many players will come and go between now and the next 5 years, I would be surprised if Sam Fisher, Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke weren't still playing in 5 years...

Let me help...

Present:

Lake
Williams
Cross
Hahn
Welsh/Johnson

Future:

Lake
Williams
Higgins
Jarryd Grant
Jordan Roughead

Not bad but I would put Grant FF and swap Roughead for Cordy. (Roughead will more likely be our ruckmen)

big concerns over the Saints backline if Maguire doesnt get the foot right. Gilbert looks vitally important but he is just so unco.

Defenders draft next year for the saints i reckon.

Our defence is just about our best 'third' I reckon right now. But yeah, for the future we're looking a little lackluster.

Likely round 1 lineup:

FB: Dempster (24) Hudghton (32) Gilbert (22)
CHB: Ray (23) Maguire (24) Fisher (25)

With maybe Begley, R. Clarke and Gram to rotate through. Although I don't think Gram's gonna play much in the backline anymore.

It's not all bad, but yeah I wouldn't have minded taking Trengove at pick 13...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gilbert's a very good player in the making. Would love him down at Hawthorn.

The question is, can he make it as key back?

IMO he should be playing a third tall forward role like Brad Fisher..

However due to the recruiting of Tom Lynch I don't see that happening...

We should be looking like this in a couple of years now...
FB: R.Clarke Maguire S,Fisher
HB: Gram Gilbert X.Clarke
C: Goddard Dal Santo Montagna
HF: Lynch Riewoldt J.Steven
FF: Milne Allen Schneider
R: McEvoy Ball Armitage

Cartoon-Skull-Small.jpg

Bruce
Mclean
Green
Mcdonald
----------
Mclean
Jones
Watts
Blease
Grimes
Garland

Now thats a spine!

Our defence is just about our best 'third' I reckon right now. But yeah, for the future we're looking a little lackluster.

Likely round 1 lineup:

With maybe Begley, R. Clarke and Gram to rotate through. Although I don't think Gram's gonna play much in the backline anymore.

If Maguire returns to be half the player he was before being injured our backline is set for another 5 years...

However Dempster wont be there for round 1, Begley will play just about every game I would imagine... and Gram and Ray will probably rotate off the back flank and wings quite a bit...

Likely round 1 lineup:

No doubt its a good lineup on paper.

But in practice Hudgton will miss around 7 games due to soft tissue problems, Maguire is lucky to get back out on the park, Gilbert is effective but don't think he'll hold up on his own and Fisher enjoys playing loose more than he does one on one, as does Goddard who is not the best body on body player.

How the Saints defence will fare in 2009 will interest me.

But in practice Hudgton will miss around 7 games due to soft tissue problems, Maguire is lucky to get back out on the park, Gilbert is effective but don't think he'll hold up on his own and Fisher enjoys playing loose more than he does one on one, as does Goddard who is not the best body on body player.

Some good points mate but we played without Gilbert, Hudghton AND Maguire for large periods of time in '08 and we still managed to hold up alright... Don't forget that Jason Blake proved he can be quite a handy CHB also.

I do agree we need some more young defender talent coming through though, that probably should be the aim in the '09 draft.

It will also be interesting to see how young Luke Miles goes off the rookie list, he has a lot of potential but obviously being an older rookie it is still a major gamble...

Current:

Jamison
Waite
Judd
Cloke
Fevola

Future:

Zagambe
Lucciola
Zovonovic
Stevonski
Ng

Year: 2022

Zovonovic is a superstar.
Your defense leaves a lot to be desired. Zagambe, don't get me started...
When Ng finally takes a mark of the year I'm wondering how the commentators will call it...

Fair points, although Max only missed one game this season IIRC. So hopefully he'll miss only a similar number next year.

Our defence is completely screwed without him though, we lost to the Eagles when he went down. I'm surprised the club hasn't gone for a KPD this year, hopefully it means they have high hopes of Max playing out the year. Or maybe they want to make Cahill or Lynch into a KPD.

Should be interesting either way.

Now
FB- Glass
CHB- Hunter
C- Kerr
CHF- Lynch
FF- Mckinley

Future
FB- Wilkes
CHB- Mackenzie
C - Masten
CHF- Kennedy
FF- Brown

Geelong

Current

FB: M.Scarlett
CHB: H.Taylor (Should be M.Egan)
C: J.Bartel
CHF: C.Mooney
FF: T.Lonergan

Future

FB: T.Gillies
CHB: H.Taylor (Still hope it could be Egan, with Taylor moving to FB)
C: J.Selwood
CHF: T.Hawkins
FF: T.Lonergan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back