Your Top 10 UK Bands of All time

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I'm four years late, but U2 shouldn't count for UK bands. They're Irish.

My list:

Pink Floyd (no. 1 with a bullet)
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Blur
Dire Straits
Rolling Stones
Cream
Radiohead
Wolf Alice
Fleetwood Mac

Just missed the cut: The Police, The Prodigy and Sex Pistols

Early U2 were very, very good, reckon people judge them harshly because Bono seems a bit of a knob.
Yeah, that's probably right. He does come across as an insufferable knob. Their early stuff I don't mind up to and including Rattle and Hum. After that I tuned out.

Did BB play his own set?

I saw the Rattle and Hum tour at the Perth Entertainment Centre, BB King's band played first then U2 and then they both played the encore.

One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Yeah U2 aren't a UK band, they are Irish.

Should be pretty bloody obvious from this song.

Last edited:
My Top 10 UK bands

10. Cream
9. Roxy Music
7. Dire Straits
6. The Rolling Stones
5. The Pretenders
5. The Stranglers
4. Duran Duran
3. Radiohead
2. Doves
1. Alt-J

Unlucky to miss out, Oasis, Blur, Gomez, The Cure, The The, Supergrass, Soandau Ballet, Turin Brakes and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Top 10 UK bands

10. Cream
9. Roxy Music
7. Dire Straits
6. The Rolling Stones
5. The Pretenders
5. The Stranglers
4. Duran Duran
3. Radiohead
2. Doves
1. Alt-J

Unlucky to miss out, Oasis, Blur, Gomez, The Cure, The The, Supergrass, Soandau Ballet, Turin Brakes and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.
Any love for Depeche Mode and Genesis

Depeche Mode had an epic run in the 80s-90s, can see them being top 10 worthy. I’ve been in a DM phase in recent months, few more of their albums clicked with me. Still, UK have so many damn contenders.

Last edited:
I'll be certain to have inadvertently left someone off the list, but anyway ...

1. Pink Floyd
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Rolling Stones
4. Led Zeppelin
5. The Who
5. Deep Purple
6. Sex Pistols
7. David Bowie
8. The Stranglers
9. Supergrass
=10. King Crimson
=10. Roxy Music
=10. Motorhead
=10. Uriah Heep
=10 The Police

And if it were a top 20 I'd probably want to include The Clash, The Cure, Elephant Tree and Psychlona

If this were just based on a band's first 2 or 3 records I'd have Muse, Radiohead, Genesis, Yes and maybe even Billy Bragg in the Top 20 or so, and if it were just their first album only then Queen would be knocking on the door (way too much dross after that though).

I'll be certain to have inadvertently left someone off the list, but anyway ...

1. Pink Floyd
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Rolling Stones
4. Led Zeppelin
5. The Who
5. Deep Purple
6. Sex Pistols
7. David Bowie
8. The Stranglers
9. Supergrass
=10. King Crimson
=10. Roxy Music
=10. Motorhead
=10. Uriah Heep
=10 The Police

And if it were a top 20 I'd probably want to include The Clash, The Cure, Elephant Tree and Psychlona

If this were just based on a band's first 2 or 3 records I'd have Muse, Radiohead, Genesis, Yes and maybe even Billy Bragg in the Top 20 or so, and if it were just their first album only then Queen would be knocking on the door (way too much dross after that though).
You must really rate Porcupine Tree. Admittedly I haven't listened to their music before and don't recall hearing them either.

I think they're pretty good.
Open Car is solid, actually most of the top 5 are good so far. will definitely listen to more of these guys.

My list:

Pink Floyd (no. 1 with a bullet)
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Blur
Dire Straits
Rolling Stones
Cream
Radiohead
Wolf Alice
Fleetwood Mac

Just missed the cut: The Police, The Prodigy and Sex Pistols
Not sure Wolf Alice have done enough yet, maybe Ellie Rowsell gets them over the line

You must really rate Porcupine Tree. Admittedly I haven't listened to their music before and don't recall hearing them either.

I think they're pretty good.
Open Car is solid, actually most of the top 5 are good so far. will definitely listen to more of these guys.
Yeah, relatively late to the party on Porcupine Tree, having been introduced to them probably about 11 or 12 years ago. I certainly tossed up on them vs the Stones who' I've loved for over 40 years for second place - although ironically nothing post-Tattoo You has ever really appealed to me.

With PT, I'd suggest an entry with either Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet and In Absentia, and then branch out (mainly backwards) from there. Steven Wilson's first few solo records are brilliant too - Insurgents, Grace For Drowning, The Raven That Refuses To Sing, Hand Cannot Erase, in no particular order.

Hopefully you end up digging them as much as I do. It has turned me into a bit of a progger though, when I was previously firmly grounded in hard rock and punk.

Four years later and I'd make a couple of changes to my list, out go Badfinger and Pink Floyd and in come Wolf Alice and Broadcast.

1. Curve
2. Siouxsie & The Banshees
3. Roxy Music
4. Lush
5. The Pretenders
6. Electric Light Orchestra
7. Wolf Alice
8. Broadcast
9. The Hollies
10. King Crimson

I was really late with my discovery of the Birmingham band Broadcast, it was about a decade after the death of their lead singer Trish Keenan that I first heard Paper Cuts and thought it was such a brilliant song that I checked out a few others.

I was late discovering Wolf Alice as well, I hadn't heard of them until I saw the Last Man On Earth video on Rage one Friday night, and then a few weeks later they hosted on a Saturday night and loved all their videos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back