Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why I said if it was a hypothetical trade.

Just interested to see what supporters thought their worth was when lined up together.

Pretty similar value imo. Merrett has had a better career but in my admittedly biased opinion I think Dunkley has a higher ceiling. His big body and his contested marking are points of difference that not many midfielders have. So all things considered I'd say they'd be close to equal in trade value. This is all hypothetical though, if the Dogs were going to trade Dunkley they'd be looking to bolster their defence.

Pretty similar value imo. Merrett has had a better career but in my admittedly biased opinion I think Dunkley has a higher ceiling. His big body and his contested marking are points of difference that not many midfielders have. So all things considered I'd say they'd be close to equal in trade value. This is all hypothetical though, if the Dogs were going to trade Dunkley they'd be looking to bolster their defence.
I haven't seen nearly enough footy to get a gauge on each player so thanks for your thoughts. :thumbsu:

Here's a hypothetical to assume each player's worth.

If Merritt was to be traded to the Dogs and Dunkley to the Bombers, what would a trade be worth to even things up?

- If a trade is done in 2021, considering their contract statii, I'd think Essendon would need to add a 2nd rounder to the deal. Pick 25ish. Merrett could be gotten for free (theoretically) and Dunkley has a year remaining on his contract.

- If we ignore contracts and the clubs they are both currently attached to (their needs/salary cap etc.)... Merrett is worth more and would probably need a decent pick upgrade or a pick in the low 30s attached.

IMO

More quality input from yourself.

These are my feelings of the thoughts and comments I’ve read in this thread.

One would almost think playing for Essendon was a detriment, lucky the real world has a grip on reality.

Dunkley v Merrett? Essendon adding on top for Josh is one of the most laughable things I’ve read on here for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon he'd add a bit to the mix. A midfield of Mitchell, Merrett, OMeara, and Worpel is pretty solid.

And a downgrade to who he is already playing with imho.

Mitchell clearly the standout player but O’Meara is no better than Shiel whilst McGrath has Worpell covered quite easily.

Mitchell clearly the standout player but O’Meara is no better than Shiel whilst McGrath has Worpell covered quite easily.

Mitchell would be our best mid.

The difference between the rest of the group's is negligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not like-for-like players, but I’d take Worpel over McGrath.

The midfield’s are pretty even overall.

McGrath has Worpel covered?? Right. Bloke won a BnF as a 20 year old in his 2nd year at Hawthorn.
2019 Worpel I'd take over 2019 McGrath no question.

2020 versions I'd take McGrath though.

Interested to see how 2021 plays out, Worpel looked lost playing #2 at times.

Yes, struggled when Mitchell's head was in the trough first, most of the time.
If McGraths trajectory continues upwards, and he's the one Essendon player I'm probably bullish on, than Worpel may struggle to keep pace if he doesn't get over that.

He may very well do so though, he's what 22 this season? Plenty of times to add strings to the bow.

It's blatantly obvious the best fit for Merrett is the Saints.
Absolutely.
I suspect with Carlisle in his last season they'll be able to make room for him in the cap, they have inside mids sorted so Merrett could probably play his best style of football at the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back