Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice fit to replace an older edwards or houli?

Potentially a win-win-win (clubs and player?)

He'd be a good addition anywhere really, more than capable of being a centre square player but also very effective coming off a wing. I think he's most damaging on the outside where he's a genuinely good user.

All depends what he's after, money-wise he'll get as much at EFC as he would anywhere else, success-wise Richmond might appeal in the short term, but St Kilda would probably give him a 5ish year window given their age demographic.

Any chance Jake Stringer will finally develop into a Dangerfield-esque power midfielder like Essendon fans always claim he can? Was borderline flying last season before his injury (averaging under 10 touches a game but they were effective).

Might be a good replacement if Merrett does move on and add some size Essendon desperately needs in the engine room after Dodoro whiffed on the Dunkley deal.

Last edited:
Any chance Jake Stringer will finally develop into a Dangerfield-esque power midfielder like Essendon fans always claim he can? Was borderline flying last season before his injury (averaging under 10 touches a game but they were effective).

Might be a good replacement if Merrett does move on and add some size Essendon desperately needs in the engine room after Dodoro whiffed on the Dunkley deal.

Training reports do say he's looking trimmer.

He was good before his injury, struggled after that.

With Caldwell being added there's another midfielder to accomodate though.

Training reports do say he's looking trimmer.

He was good before his injury, struggled after that.

With Caldwell being added there's another midfielder to accomodate though.

So you're saying there's a chance? I'll be watching more Essendon games if that's the case.

Free Agents go to contenders

That instantly rules out Carlton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They did just get Zac Williams (even if they overpaid), and North did the same with Corr.

Free agents go to non-contenders so long as they get more than they're worth. In Merrett's case, would probably require $1mil+ per season to get him going to a non-finalist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did just get Zac Williams (even if they overpaid), and North did the same with Corr.

Free agents go to non-contenders so long as they get more than they're worth. In Merrett's case, would probably require $1mil+ per season to get him going to a non-finalist

My apologies

The good free agents go to contenders

If he wants to go to a club that is closer to success than his own then the Blues is an option.

Given the past 20 odd years Carlton have had, I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's a bit like assuming Melbourne was closer to success after 2018.

St Kilda seems the obvious choice if he wants to stay in VIC and play with a side that has a fairly well placed list imo, I think they've done very well to set themselves up for the future.

Neale went to Brisbane when they were a lower ranked team. There's always the possibility of snagging a gun player if you're showing enough on field, and your list composition is looking good. It's easy to project improvement if the right pieces are in place to allow the team to get to the next level, though I suspect by the end of year Carlton will have taken another step in the right direction and that discussion will be irrelevant.

My apologies

The good free agents go to contenders

Williams is a very good player already, and his the opportunity to get even better with more midfield opportunity.

The perfect addition with where our list is at.

Last edited:
Given the past 20 odd years Carlton have had, I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's a bit like assuming Melbourne was closer to success after 2018.

St Kilda seems the obvious choice if he wants to stay in VIC and play with a side that has a fairly well placed list imo, I think they've done very well to set themselves up for the future.

I feel like St.Kilda might want key defenders, rather than more mids.
Carlisle has just turned 29, and they've taken on Frawley as a DFA who is 32.
This really only leaves Howard as a young KPD on their list.

Perception and reality are often irrelevant in the eyes of players looking to move clubs. Melbourne made marginally inroads in 2017 and managed to snag Jake Lever, and then made a big move up the ladder in 2018 and that put them in the prime position to nab Steven May.

Plenty of players would have looked at Melbourne's season in 2018 and been happy to join at that stage of their build, and it's not as they're a particularly bad team now either. In a salary-capped league there is never one clear path to success, which is why players bet on their incoming teams improving and taking the next step forward.

I could see Merrett ending up at St Kilda, but it depends on what they can offer him in a contract and whether he wants to continue playing in bigger fixtures during the year. I'm also not sure they'll be able to outbid any other team and also retain Billings, who is a pretty similar player.

I feel like St.Kilda might want key defenders, rather than more mids.
Carlisle has just turned 29, and they've taken on Frawley as a DFA who is 32.
This really only leaves Howard as a young KPD on their list.

They likely have higher priorities, but if Merrett was available I'd think they'd be a good fit if he was looking for a big window of success. Money-wise he'll earn as much at Essendon as anywhere, so it would be success that likely drives any move.

But yes with Carlisle on his last legs and Frawley being the break-glass guy, they could use a solid 22 - 25 year old KPD.

Perception and reality are often irrelevant in the eyes of players looking to move clubs. Melbourne made marginally inroads in 2017 and managed to snag Jake Lever, and then made a big move up the ladder in 2018 and that put them in the prime position to nab Steven May.

Plenty of players would have looked at Melbourne's season in 2018 and been happy to join at that stage of their build, and it's not as they're a particularly bad team now either. In a salary-capped league there is never one clear path to success, which is why players bet on their incoming teams improving and taking the next step forward.

I could see Merrett ending up at St Kilda, but it depends on what they can offer him in a contract and whether he wants to continue playing in bigger fixtures during the year. I'm also not sure they'll be able to outbid any other team and also retain Billings, who is a pretty similar player.

I could see Merrett fitting pretty well anywhere, his ability to play Wing / Mid / HBF would mean most teams could accommodate him somewhere. It's more a personal thing that if it was me and I was chasing success, St Kilda making finals in 2021 again with a fairly young list, with King leading the forward-line, would be a very appealing side to play for.

I would think if it comes down to money he stays at EFC, if he moves I don't think it'll necessarily be to the highest bidder. But I'm just guessing at what he seems like as a public persona.

They likely have higher priorities, but if Merrett was available I'd think they'd be a good fit if he was looking for a big window of success. Money-wise he'll earn as much at Essendon as anywhere, so it would be success that likely drives any move.

But yes with Carlisle on his last legs and Frawley being the break-glass guy, they could use a solid 22 - 25 year old KPD.

I could see Merrett fitting pretty well anywhere, his ability to play Wing / Mid / HBF would mean most teams could accommodate him somewhere. It's more a personal thing that if it was me and I was chasing success, St Kilda making finals in 2021 again with a fairly young list, with King leading the forward-line, would be a very appealing side to play for.

I would think if it comes down to money he stays at EFC, if he moves I don't think it'll necessarily be to the highest bidder. But I'm just guessing at what he seems like as a public persona.

I could see most Victorian clubs wanting to secure the services of Merrett. From a Carlton perspective he'd be my #1 target at the end of this year. Would round off our midfield nicely.

I could see most Victorian clubs wanting to secure the services of Merrett. From a Carlton perspective he'd be my #1 target at the end of this year. Would round off our midfield nicely.

Merrett or Kelly would suit very well I'd think, or if they thought they could challenge over the next 2 years, I think Luke Parker would be an underrated acquisition.

Jake is an AA capable forward or a midfielder who is going to get run-off by most opponents. One day he may wake up to this and become an elite player again. He just doesn't have the natural tank for it but his power/weight measurements were off the charts pre-draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back