2014 Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

was at the hursty v diamo game on Saturday. Hurstbridge were very good early but diamo fought back well and seemed to have the momentum going into the last qtr. diamo kicked the first 2 goals of the last qtr and got out to a 3 goal lead before hurstbridge kicked the last 9 goals i think it was. pretty impressive fightback. Diamo now looking very likely to be relegated.

Have done the maths though and if diamo can beat epping by over 40 points then they go ahead of epping. Its basically a 90-100 point differential between them relegated or any of Hurstbridge, epping and panton hill (depending on other results)

So as long as Panton hill and Hurstbridge either win or dont lose by too much it will be out of epping and diamo to go down (diamo most likely)
Not impossible for Diamo but from what I'm hearing I don't think the players will muster the effort required. Overheard one Diamo person in the fish n chip shop at Apollo a Parkways discussing players already making exit plans for next season. And that was before there game v Hursty! It's inexplicable that a club like Diamo should be in div 3 and surely some if not all of the hierarchy from the top down need to have a very long look in the mirror and make some decisions on there own futures.

Not impossible for Diamo but from what I'm hearing I don't think the players will muster the effort required. Overheard one Diamo person in the fish n chip shop at Apollo a Parkways discussing players already making exit plans for next season. And that was before there game v Hursty! It's inexplicable that a club like Diamo should be in div 3 and surely some if not all of the hierarchy from the top down need to have a very long look in the mirror and make some decisions on there own futures.
AGREE...

That Diamo are just one loss or even a small win away from relegation, after not having missed the finals since they were relegated from Division One in 2008, beggars belief.

With Banyule potentially coming in going straight back up might not be easy.

Also did the sums on Fox Sports Pulse (which I've used in my Div 2 preview this week):

Diamond Creek 89-52 Epping
Lalor 100-53 Hurstbridge
Mernda 100-64 Panton Hill

End result if this happens? 5th to 8th seperated by 0.04%. It most likely won't happen but the fact it can is crazy.

That Diamo are just one loss or even a small win away from relegation, after not having missed the finals since they were relegated from Division One in 2008, beggars belief.

Also did the sums on Fox Sports Pulse (which I've used in my Div 2 preview this week):

Lalor 100-53 Hurstbridge

End result if this happens? 5th to 8th seperated by 0.04%. It most likely won't happen but the fact it can is crazy.
We usually just focus on the end score, but with this scenario almost every play during a game may affect a clubs fortunes for 2015. Sure is crazy but I think it has made for a great competition.

We usually just focus on the end score, but with this scenario almost every play during a game may affect a clubs fortunes for 2015. Sure is crazy but I think it has made for a great competition.

Certainly I think this is the craziest season of Division Two I've ever seen. Imagine winning five games, which has generally been enough to comfortably escape relegation in the past, yet get relegated, while you are only % behind fifth at the same time. It's nuts.

(this is of course if Diamo beat Epping which I can't quite see happening)

Overall this is probably the best standard of footy I've seen across the league this season. The fact that not one single spot in the top five in Div 1 has been sorted, and that there's seven teams still in the running is insane, that any one of the bottom four could be relegated in Div 2 is mad, and that Div 3 has been largely competitive (Parkside aside) has been very good as well. Immense.

Lalor 100-53 Hurstbridge

You appear to have done the maths tasmanlvr,in what order did the bottom four end up

I've heard 5 or 6 to Lower Plenty, including both the "big names" creek got from them over the last couple of seasons

At the risk of sounding like a smartass.. "Big names" surely that is taking the piss Creek have no big names Norman & co from Lower will be bit players at best in Div 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final round couldn't have been scripted any better with all four games having some bearing on the finals and next season respectively.
Round 18.
Epping vs Diamond Creek. Plenty of scenarios if the Demon scan get across the line but their recent form hasn't been one to inspire confidence against an equally desperate Blues group.
Lalor vs Hurstbridge. The scenario for the Bridges after last week's big win is to not lose by too much to the Bloods, depending on the other game up at High Street.
Mernda vs Panton Hill. A similar scenario for the Redbacks in that they can't afford to succumb to the Demons by too much ljust n case the other Demons spring a surprise.
Fitzroy Stars vs North Heidelberg. Will be interesting to see how the Doggies and Stars take this match given they'll meet again next week. Think the Doggies will want to keep the momentum going and inflict the first loss to the Stars at home.

Well epping have tumbled from div 1 to div 3, big fall. Decent effort by Diamo to save their skins in the last round.

Panton Hill & Hursty with good wins. Got to think both Mernda and Lalor were looking ahead to next week but good effort all the same Panton Hill & Hurstbridge. Hurstbridge certainly showed some great form over the last 5-6 weeks

Well epping have tumbled from div 1 to div 3, big fall. Decent effort by Diamo to save their skins in the last round.

Panton Hill & Hursty with good wins. Got to think both Mernda and Lalor were looking ahead to next week but good effort all the same Panton Hill & Hurstbridge. Hurstbridge certainly showed some great form over the last 5-6 weeks

massive fall for epping, surely carnt be good for a club like epping to be playing div 3 footy. Hear they re-signed there coach for another 2 years, Any thoughts on wheather this was a good/wrong decision

massive fall for epping, surely carnt be good for a club like epping to be playing div 3 footy. Hear they re-signed there coach for another 2 years, Any thoughts on wheather this was a good/wrong decision
Probably nothing wrong with current coach, but I'd be going along the path of getting someone who can bring some players.

Seems some people are listening to the wrong station. Id say the players mustered the required effort just quietly. Not many gave us a chance.

There hasn't been a shortage of people giving there opinions about Creek this season with most of it just crap and drip tray gossip. I'm the first to admit this year obviously hasn't been a great but gee people like to put the boots in when you are down. Gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

Lets just wait and see who leaves or stays or who joins already there. Some may be surprised????

Seems some people are listening to the wrong station. Id say the players mustered the required effort just quietly. Not many gave us a chance.

There hasn't been a shortage of people giving there opinions about Creek this season with most of it just crap and drip tray gossip. I'm the first to admit this year obviously hasn't been a great but gee people like to put the boots in when you are down. Gotta take the good with the bad I suppose.

Lets just wait and see who leaves or stays or who joins already there. Some may be surprised????

I wouldn't exactly say people have been putting the boots in but rather marking Diamo to the standards of previous years, the standard they have set for themselves. Finding something to avoid relegation to div 3 while is commendable isn't exactly something to be cheering about (that club should never have been in the position in the first place). But i guess it all comes down to what the local football public expect of Diamo and what the club expect of themselves. The off season will surely be a defining period for the club, one way or the other.

With Banyule probably coming in I wouldn't guarantee they'd go straight back up. As for the coach, nothing wrong with him, they played a lot of kids and they still won five games - in any other season five wins would keep you safe. So bit unlucky to go down, just found themselves on the bottom for the only time when it mattered most having won two of their last 13 games.

Probably nothing wrong with current coach, but I'd be going along the path of getting someone who can bring some players.

Wow, haven't been taking too much notice of the NFL this season but certainly a bit of a shock to see Epping tumbling down to Division 3, and re-signing the coach as reward! o_O

The club has been a joke for as long as I can remember. Your probably right, can't completely blame the coach, he can only work with the cattle he has. However something is clearly wrong. There is obviously a reason why they don't retain & attract quality players to the club.

Oh well, I guess some things will never change & Epping will continue to be one of those clubs who are just there to make up numbers. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back