2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

There goes my theory of resting a few for the trip. Looks like we're really looking to bed down combos this off season. Not good for Paine that he doesn't get a run nor Maguire. We appear to be narrowing down our fwd and backline options now.

BRISBANE LIONS
1. Luke McGuane, 4. James Aish, 5. Mitch Robinson, 6. Josh Green, 7. Jed Adcock, 8. Rohan Bewick, 9. Dayne Beams, 10. Daniel Rich, 12. Stefan Martin, 14. Brent Staker, 15. Dayne Zorko, 17. Claye Beams, 18. Nicholas Robertson, 21. Daniel Merrett, 22. Marco Paparone, 23. Matthew Leuenberger, 24. Liam Dawson, 25. Daniel McStay, 26. Tom Cutler, 27. Darcy Gardiner, 28. Lewis Taylor, 29. Jaden McGrath, 30. Jack Redden, 32. Sam Mayes, 33. Michael Close, 35. Ryan Lester, 38. Thomas Rockliff, 42. Justin Clarke, 47. Zac O'Brien

The Swans have named a reasonably strong team for Friday nights game so I am really glad Brisbane have as well.

Would really like to see cuts and Nick Robbo get a run this week. I see both the Robbo's vying for the same position, both have there strengths and weaknesses as to what they bring to the team and I think the Mitch Robbo will slightly nudge nick out due to his experience but I think nick will be the superior player. His size and fitness level is going to make him an absolute weapon potentially!!!
EDIT: well there goes that idea Robbo18

Nicks not travelling to this one either.
That sucks! At the moment due to the strength of the midfield I can understand that he might be just on the periphery but I would've thought to at least give him the chance to put his hand up and put pressure on those there already. Hopefully next game then.

So basically;

In: Martin, Dawson
Out: Archie, Andrews

If NRobbo is not travelling, I suppose we could still have two more come out for O'Brien and Cutler (emergencies last week).

Interesting that Paine, Goose and Golby miss another selection. Sign of good depth?

Not surprised Christensen is missing after watching the Bupa Recovery video yesterday.

SYDNEY SWANS
2. Rhyce Shaw, 4. Daniel Hannebery, 5. Isaac Heeney, 6. Tom Mitchell, 7. Harry Cunningham, 9. Abaina Davis, 11. Jeremy Laidler, 12. Josh Kennedy, 13. Toby Nankervis, 14. Craig Bird, 15. Kieren Jack, 16. Gary Rohan, 17. Jack Hiscox, 20. Sam Reid, 21. Ben McGlynn, 22. Dean Towers, 24. Dane Rampe, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Daniel Robinson, 29. George Hewett, 31. Harrison Marsh, 32. Lewis Jetta, 33. Brandon Jack, 35. Sam Naismith, 38. Mike Pyke, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 42. Xavier Richards, 43. Lewis Melican

SYDNEY SWANS
2. Rhyce Shaw, 4. Daniel Hannebery, 5. Isaac Heeney, 6. Tom Mitchell, 7. Harry Cunningham, 9. Abaina Davis, 11. Jeremy Laidler, 12. Josh Kennedy, 13. Toby Nankervis, 14. Craig Bird, 15. Kieren Jack, 16. Gary Rohan, 17. Jack Hiscox, 20. Sam Reid, 21. Ben McGlynn, 22. Dean Towers, 24. Dane Rampe, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Daniel Robinson, 29. George Hewett, 31. Harrison Marsh, 32. Lewis Jetta, 33. Brandon Jack, 35. Sam Naismith, 38. Mike Pyke, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 42. Xavier Richards, 43. Lewis Melican
Geeze, lucky the Lions dropped Archie and Andrews for this game. Having six academy kids trotting around in the one game would've made Eddie's head explode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed Golby and Paine have been left out. Clearly Leppa has some sort of standard they can't meet which I'm unable to see.

Good to see we are going against pretty much a full-strength Sydney midfield. Good test for our mids. They clearly were two tiers above the Saints mids.

And then we get another great test in a fortnight against Ablett and co. Good tests before the season starts. Will give us a bit of a hint as to where we are at

Good to see we are going against pretty much a full-strength Sydney midfield. Good test for our mids. They clearly were two tiers above the Saints mids.
Good call but similarly it would've been a good test for our defence against some quality talls had they been picked - which is the bigger concern atm

Yeah a good test for our all star midfield. It is our biggest strength, so will be good to give them a good test, even if we are still working out our combinations.

Glad that we are going as strong as possible. There are times to play the kids, and this isnt one of them for us. Very different team make up, and they havent played much together. Really need to get our set ups settled for round 1.

A good test but if they play poorly we can't make any negative comments because it's only preseason and they are rusty.

I know the result means nothing in the practice match... but can't see us winning this one after last weeks display. Midfield will get a good test and hopefully they can defend better than last week which has always been a huge weakness for our midfield group for year now... we just get cut up from opposition outside run so often...

Our defence will get a decent test this week after the Saints poor midfield just bombing it long onto their forwards heads made it easy for the likes of Merrett and Clarke. Hopefully Swans can deliver some good inside 50 for us and we can see how Paps and Lester goes with a bit more pressure.

Forward line is the worst in the comp... even Carlton have a better forward line... I'm hoping Close shows a bit more heart and that Staker gets more run in his legs. Liam to stake a claim for round 1 and could be the high flying 3rd tall we have been lacking. Looking forward to seeing the mozzies in action as well.

No injuries please !

Last edited:
Forward line is the worst in the comp... even Carlton have a better forward line... I'm hoping Close shows a bit more heart and that Staker gets more run in his legs. Liam to stake a claim for round 1 and could be the high flying 3rd tall we have been lacking. Looking forward to seeing the mozzies in action as well.
Dw, we'll get Jeremy Cameron at the end of the year and everything will be fine.

I'd be surprised if, as a minimum , we hadn't drawn up a hit list and maybe, strictly off the record of course, already made informal contact with one or two.

Yeah a good test for our all star midfield. It is our biggest strength, so will be good to give them a good test, even if we are still working out our combinations.

Glad that we are going as strong as possible. There are times to play the kids, and this isnt one of them for us. Very different team make up, and they havent played much together. Really need to get our set ups settled for round 1.
Not sure I would rate it that highly without Hanley, Bundy and with Rich playing defence. If we start to dominate possession and clearances (two areas we have been worst in the league at), then we can say we have an all star midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back