Club Focus Geelong 2023 - Reportedly open to trading their first round pick

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

You presently have picks 10 and 82 in this years draft… not a lot to play with.
Hopefully that pick 10 will be late teens by the end of the year. But it's nothing new to not have many picks to play with. And we traded those mid-late picks for Ollie Henry which we would do again in a heartbeat.

I think Geelong knows where they're at. If our current players aged 32+ stay fit and in form we could snag another flag. But by the end of next year we will be transitioning to the next group.

For the most part that group is there. Our young talent looks better than it has in many years. And we've got complete freedom within the salary cap to go after he agents or trades to complement that group. So while we're looking at a near term cliff we have the chance to rebound quickly if we develop our talent well and make smart list management decisions.

Yer you will need to be creative … I can’t see you trading out talent for picks.
Menegola would probably go with our blessing. As would Parfitt. Neither of them would net us any sort of great pick, but it would at least be something.

If Esava was truly keen to leave for guaranteed best 22, he's the one who would net us something reasonable.

You presently have picks 10 and 82 in this years draft… not a lot to play with.

Correct. But I suspect we use our Future 2nd to trade into this draft, for TDK - based on what has been discussed on our board.

Parfitt maybe gets traded for a 3rd, depending on if teams are interested. Also have a mature ager in Mitch Hardie who could be good and kept on the list, who we got in the MSD.

Sources pretty strong in that we probably end up with Doedee too - despite his ACL. We've drafted/traded a lot in the last few years, so I suspect we'll end up with only about 5-6 list changes - given our limited space.

Gives us from 2023:

Pick 10
TDK
Doedee
Pick 45'ish (Parfitt)
Mitch Hardie

(Pick 82 not used)

Solid enough, I'd say, without being spectacular.

About 5 spots of turnover, so hypothetically:

Isaac Smith (retire)
Tuohy (retire)
Kroeger (retired due to injury)
Parfitt (traded)
Menegola (retired/traded)

Of course it's all speculation, but like you guys getting Taranto and Hopper last year, the draft doesn't mean as much when you're bringing in Best 22 players, for those picks.

Menegola would probably go with our blessing. As would Parfitt. Neither of them would net us any sort of great pick, but it would at least be something.

If Esava was truly keen to leave for guaranteed best 22, he's the one who would net us something reasonable.

Already been pretty much confirmed that Port have pulled out of the Sav chase, as his manager has said he's very happy at Geelong and ain't going anywhere.

Correct. But I suspect we use our Future 2nd to trade into this draft, for TDK - based on what has been discussed on our board.

Parfitt maybe gets traded for a 3rd, depending on if teams are interested. Also have a mature ager in Mitch Hardie who could be good and kept on the list, who we got in the MSD.

Sources pretty strong in that we probably end up with Doedee too - despite his ACL. We've drafted/traded a lot in the last few years, so I suspect we'll end up with only about 5-6 list changes - given our limited space.

Gives us from 2023:

Pick 10
TDK
Doedee
Pick 45'ish (Parfitt)
Mitch Hardie

(Pick 82 not used)

Solid enough, I'd say, without being spectacular.

About 5 spots of turnover, so hypothetically:

Isaac Smith (retire)
Tuohy (retire)
Kroeger (retired due to injury)
Parfitt (traded)
Menegola (retired/traded)

Of course it's all speculation, but like you guys getting Taranto and Hopper last year, the draft doesn't mean as much when you're bringing in Best 22 players, for those picks.

A future second for TDK? That seems a bit cheap? Do you think Carlton will accept that?

A future second for TDK? That seems a bit cheap? Do you think Carlton will accept that?

After the way he's playing this year - I'd say their salary cap may dictate it.

Most Carlton supporters agree that that's around his worth, it's just the media hype (Cornes paticularly), where all this nonsense has come from.

History shows though, that clubs dictate worth, not the media. And TDK at the moment without the media hype, would barely be worth a 3rd given his exposed form thus far.

If the cash offers being touted in the media are correct then absolutely not. But in that case I expect we simply withdraw from the chase.

The offers for him coming out of the media though sound wildly unrealistic

Made the mistake of checking in to the cats board. Woof! Cesspit atm.

Just your usual whinging about injury updates etc.

No rookies screaming for elevation. Only 1 good pick. Interesting to see where 3 list changes come from. Trading Parfitt may be necessary for some extra currency

No rookies screaming for elevation. Only 1 good pick. Interesting to see where 3 list changes come from. Trading Parfitt may be necessary for some extra currency

List changes will be straightforward this year.
Ceglar and smith will retire.
Tuohy might join them. I assume hawkins and most of the other vets will go on (a couple of iffy ones like duncan with his injuries are contracted and we need one more year from stanley).
Menegola will go as retire or FA to another club.
Kroeger delisted i imagine.

Thats 5 changes probably dont need more given our lack of picks (unless we bring in a lot of FAs or delisted FAs).
Parfitt i think doesnt have a future with us its just a matter if we trade him now or let him go in 12 months as FA.
Simpson another who is iffy if we need spots.

Everyone else should be right to go on.
Sav will be a priority for us to sign as will be neale but everyone else is basically locked up already.

I imagine we will go for a mid 20s age ruck in trade (tdk the obvious answer) or FA (flynn or maybe someone like that who is cheap) to be a bridge (as stanley only has 12mths left) until conway is older. Probably also get doedee and maybe one other FA if we can and take 2 or 3 draft picks max.

If dont need access to the "cesspit" anymore we'll take care of that.

Thanks for letting us know.

GO Catters

LOL "cesspit"??

Almost all Cats fans are realistic and reasonable about where we are at in 2023. There is disappointment with the injury accumulation/close losses/drop in form that have occurred throughout the year, and discussion about the holes in our list and how we can fill them..... but all perfectly normal stuff.

The only 'cesspit' stuff is from the tiny handful of notorious Debbie Downer 'supporters' who are openly jerking themselves raw over us doing poorly. Who most posters seem to have put on 'ignore' anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Esava of this year is in our best 22. He's a massive weapon down back.

I was at the Tigers game and they actually changed their attack strategy to avoid kicking it in the air near him.

After the way he's playing this year - I'd say their salary cap may dictate it.

Most Carlton supporters agree that that's around his worth, it's just the media hype (Cornes paticularly), where all this nonsense has come from.

History shows though, that clubs dictate worth, not the media. And TDK at the moment without the media hype, would barely be worth a 3rd given his exposed form thus far.

Where do we sign ?
We’ll throw Charlie in as well …

IMG_1335.gif

Where do we sign ?
We’ll throw Charlie in as well …

View attachment 1720550

Rightio. He's not even in your best 22 and you're currently 14th. Has done sweet FA since he was drafted.

A 2nd between 20 and 30 has been where most have valued him from the outset of this year - given his lack of exposed form. The only way you get more than that, is if a club like Sydney or the Saints offer him mega dollars, and cough up a first. As I said though, without the media hype and 'projection', he's more of a 'take it or leave it' player at either our club or yours. If you think that's worth any more than a 2nd on what he's achieved to date, then you're being very fanciful, and most likely disingenuous.

Rightio. He's not even in your best 22 and you're currently 14th. Has done sweet FA since he was drafted.

A 2nd between 20 and 30 has been where most have valued him from the outset of this year - given his lack of exposed form. The only way you get more than that, is if a club like Sydney or the Saints offer him mega dollars, and cough up a first. As I said though, without the media hype and 'projection', he's more of a 'take it or leave it' player at either our club or yours. If you think that's worth any more than a 2nd on what he's achieved to date, then you're being very fanciful, and most likely disingenuous.

Towelled up Witts last weekend.
Beginning to emerge.
IF he leaves, his new club won’t be paying for “what he’s achieved to date”
He’s the future … and that’s why the cats are interested …

Towelled up Witts last weekend.
Beginning to emerge.
IF he leaves, his new club won’t be paying for “what he’s achieved to date”
He’s the future … and that’s why the cats are interested …

Rightio, you keep believing that. We're interested because he's interested - not the other way around.

There's still a very good chance it doesn't happen, if both parties are too far apart on worth. I hope he does stay, he's not worth a first if that's what we would have to give up.

Just overrating your own player which is fine, but we have no issue backing out of deals if it's too much - salary or trade wise.

The fact you seem to think he's worth more than a Future 2nd to us (which will be low to mid 20's based on our trajectory), when most of your brethren seem to agree with that notion - suggests you are being fanciful.

I'd say that we're at an impasse though, so pointless to continue discussion.

Rightio, you keep believing that. We're interested because he's interested - not the other way around.

There's still a very good chance it doesn't happen, if both parties are too far apart on worth. I hope he does stay, he's not worth a first if that's what we would have to give up.

Just overrating your own player which is fine, but we have no issue backing out of deals if it's too much - salary or trade wise.

The fact you seem to think he's worth more than a Future 2nd to us (which will be low to mid 20's based on our trajectory), when most of your brethren seem to agree with that notion - suggests you are being fanciful.

I'd say that we're at an impasse though, so pointless to continue discussion.

Agreed.
And good luck with Stanley next season 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back