Club Focus Geelong 2023 - Reportedly open to trading their first round pick

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

for the record, Geelong seem to have not rated the ruck position with the endless journeymen types they have had.

Ceglar, Stanley going back to Ottens (probably bit better than credit I am giving him)
Wait until you see Conway develop.

for the record, Geelong seem to have not rated the ruck position with the endless journeymen types they have had.

Ceglar, Stanley going back to Ottens (probably bit better than credit I am giving him)

We used to, we had a very strong ruck division in the 2000s (King, Blake, Ottens, Mumford) with Bomber. But Scott doesn't seem to rate them the same and we have never replaced Ottens with anyone even close to that standard. Stanley the best of a pretty mediocre bunch since 2011.

Neale's numbers look good on paper. Close to a debut ?
He's a forward/ruck. Similar player to Lobb.

He debuted last year. He's only played one VFL game - which was last night - after a lengthy lay-off, but he may replace Cameron.

Just coming back from injury, will need to be given time.

Ideally we'd bring him in to rest Hawkins for a few weeks later in the season, but we'll see.

Wont be resting hawkins when we are fighting for finals.

Time for some tough calls.

Tuohy, Ceglar and maybe Smith appear as outgoings but I'd also sweep a broom through O'Connor. Bews 50:50. Maybe give him one more.
Esava and Parfitt likely trades
If it looks like the era is really over, we may well even trade out some of the older guys like Cuthrie or Duncan, if we want to develop the younger midfield (Atkins, Holmes, Bruhn, Knevitt, Clark, etc....)

If it looks like the era is really over, we may well even trade out some of the older guys like Cuthrie or Duncan, if we want to develop the younger midfield (Atkins, Holmes, Bruhn, Knevitt, Clark, etc....)

Nah thats never been our culture. We dont shove out contracted guys who dont want to go.
Plus we need the mid ages guys as 80 % of our list is under 22 or over 30.

Ceglar smith and tuohy will retire, maybe hawk (which would be sad).
Menegola will go, parfitt and sav will ask for trades.
Probably kroeger go.

Thats enough turnover in a year where we lack draft picks unless we bring in 4 or 5 FAs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a bit OTT, there's not much value in blowing up the list.

We have outside players, we have forwards, hff, half backs, key backs, and defensive mids. We have an elite midfielder shaped hole and cash to pay them.

We're short maybe 2 decent players

MoC out? Surely not. Bews does look like an old 29 though
The more I watch him the more I have NFI what his best role is, what position he can excel in.

A jack of all trades but master of none kind of player but doesn’t excel in any role he’s in.

So yeah, I’d push him.

The more I watch him the more I have NFI what his best role is, what position he can excel in.

A jack of all trades but master of none kind of player but doesn’t excel in any role he’s in.

So yeah, I’d push him.

Moc will be bypassed in 2-3 years but for now we have bugger all players in the 24-28 age bracket and we are about to lose 2 of them (sav and parfitt) we will definitely hang onto moc for now.

So yeah, I’d push him.
I've always thought his best position was pretty clear at hbf. Regardless there's no way in the world we replace him with a better player at pick 60 in the draft or whatever we'll have after the other list changes

I've always thought his best position was pretty clear at hbf. Regardless there's no way in the world we replace him with a better player at pick 60 in the draft or whatever we'll have after the other list changes
They won’t, but I would.
If HBF is his go he’s a long way short of the gun halfbacks in the comp who set up games with run and drive and 25+ touches.

Also think Duncan is starting to struggle in this role and a move back to the wing is needed.

They won’t, but I would.
If HBF is his go he’s a long way short of the gun halfbacks in the comp who set up games with run and drive and 25+ touches.

Also think Duncan is starting to struggle in this role and a move back to the wing is needed.
His body's shot. Whether that's permanent or just due to the lack of a pre-season we'll find out in a couple months time.

For now, we need him to be doing the least amount of running possible if he is to play.

There's no one clear issue.

Arrogance, lack of cohesion, injuries, players not taking the pre-season seriously, ability to run out of games, lack of hunger.

It's all linked and it causes a flow on affect.

I expect after a couple of trade and draft acquisitions and a grueling summer we'll see a very different Geelong next year...but this year's a write off.

In hindsight, the story of our year began in the first quarter of round 1. If only we'd known that at the time.

They won’t, but I would.

Not elite therefore delist him?

We've got bigger issues and offloading decent depth players for nothing just creates more

There's no one clear issue.

Arrogance, lack of cohesion, injuries, players not taking the pre-season seriously, ability to run out of games, lack of hunger.

It's all linked and it causes a flow on affect.

I expect after a couple of trade and draft acquisitions and a grueling summer we'll see a very different Geelong next year...but this year's a write off.

In hindsight, the story of our year began in the first quarter of round 1. If only we'd known that at the time.
I think it's pretty clear. The quality of our clearance work has diminished substantially. We can go attack and usually concede a good clearance to the oppo making our defence look bad or we defend hard, earn the clearance but have it be badly pressured making our forwards look bad.

I think we only have one problem but it's probably 2 players and 1.8m in tpp to solve plus trade costs

I think it's pretty clear. The quality of our clearance work has diminished substantially. We can go attack and usually concede a good clearance to the oppo making our defence look bad or we defend hard, earn the clearance but have it be badly pressured making our forwards look bad.

I think we only have one problem but it's probably 2 players and 1.8m in tpp to solve plus trade costs
We'll fix it easily, but we won't be doing anything for the rest of this season.

I'm really excited about what the off-season rejuvenation could bring. I guess that's the benefit of premierships, you don't lose your mind after one down year.

We'll be a different side next year for sure. Whether that's through personnel, or just being able to have a summer to really figure out how to mask our flaws. Probably a mixture of both.

2023 though, that's in the bin.

That would be a bit OTT, there's not much value in blowing up the list.

We have outside players, we have forwards, hff, half backs, key backs, and defensive mids. We have an elite midfielder shaped hole and cash to pay them.

We're short maybe 2 decent players

More like 6-8 realistically (medium-long term). Time to start hitting the draft hard imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back