Club Focus Geelong 2023 - Reportedly open to trading their first round pick

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The question would be if any Ruck not already in the system is a better option than what we already have, not sure any of them are tbh, massive gap in standrard of Ruckmen between state leagues and senior AFL footy.

Given ceglars lack of movement and being on fumes id say yes.

The only "good" option is made of glass and has horrific mobility himself, I personally just wouldn't bother.

Naismiths mobility has always been very good. Hes just a knee risk.

That said we could go left field and take someone like downie but i doubt it.

Glad we resisted the pointless journeyman ruck panic selection.
25yo PnP mid. If he can convince the club he's worthy of a new contract at years end then he's a great age profile for the list.

Is Stanley back after the bye?
Nobody knows yet. Had vision issues following his eye socket injury. Scott said that had improved significantly last week and once it's right he won't be far away but I don't know if that means he's basically ready or needs to still tick off a bunch of stuff with his vision before getting the all clear.

Nobody knows yet. Had vision issues following his eye socket injury. Scott said that had improved significantly last week and once it's right he won't be far away but I don't know if that means he's basically ready or needs to still tick off a bunch of stuff with his vision before getting the all clear.

I think you have missed him quite alot. Reckon he will get a new deal?

We have missed stanley a lot and its a reason why we are 6-6 i think we will struggle to make finals and do damage unless he is back in the next few weeks.

His manager said he wanted to play on but that was before this injury so who knows. If he wants to go on we will give him 1 yr. Ceglar will retire, conway is 20 and has had injuries, blitz is 33 and needed in other roles. So even if we bring in tdk we still need stanley but i think next year is his last.

Yeah we've missed him hugely. The team isn't used to an immobile tap ruckman like Ceglar and his body is shot. So while he's done some good stuff with his taps we've been all at sea in transition.

At the same time our midfield injuries and injuries to J Henry, Ratugolea and SDK at various points meant we haven't been able to go with Blicavs as number 1 ruck and one of those chopping out recently which worked well against Sydney and Essendon. Then Conway and Neale who we would like to get games into have also been injured so the ruck and entire midfield really has just been a mess.

I'd say Stanley will get a 1 year deal and the idea would be to play him for 10 games or so while Conway plays a lot of the season. Then see who is best 22 come finals if we're good enough to make them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the focus for Geelong, kids for the long term future or more of a short term win now approach?

Do the Cats believe they have one more flag in this group similar to what Richmond tried at the end of 2022?
It's early still but it looks like we've drafted pretty well over recent years. Holmes and SDK particularly but Knevitt, O Henry, Bruhn and Clark look likely types. Add in a quality group of 24 year olds and I don't think hitting the draft super hard is a necessity.

Parish as a free agent would make a heap of sense. Midfield is our weakest area so we would absolutely be targeting him.

TDK as a potential ruck also makes sense if he comes fairly cheap.

If Hawkins and Danger go around again Geelong will absolutely think they've got another flag in them. But I don't think they'll trade out of consecutive drafts and offer 7-year contracts like Richmond. Like with Hopper I expect we'll have a point where we decide it's not worth chasing a particular player and move on.

What's the focus for Geelong, kids for the long term future or more of a short term win now approach?

Do the Cats believe they have one more flag in this group similar to what Richmond tried at the end of 2022?

Why not both?

We have accumulated quite a lot of young players over the last few years from the top 30 odd in the draft

SDK - Pick 19 2019
Bruhn - Pick 12 2020
Henry - Pick 17 2020
Holmes - Pick 20 2020
Neale - Pick 33 2020
Conway - Pick 24 2021
Knevitt - Pick 25 2021
Willis - Pick 32 2021
Clark - Pick 8 2022

That is a good group to work with before you add in the more speculative rookie picks that have shown potential like Dempsey and Mullin who have played this year

I think ideally we would try to take our first pick to the draft this year to add another high quality kid and then explore free agency and the trade period to try to add some more mid 20s players which is where our list lacks depth. That is your Parish or TDK types that we are linked with

We have some very good kids from 18-22 age bracket, our concern is the age of 24-28 bracket.. especially in that midfield group. We only got Parfitt but his form is a very big concern.. Thats why we went for Mitch Hardie as he may not get a game this year ( hope he does ) but it be hopefully next year, plus if we get Parish ( which I'm hoping , but not sure we will ) that will start building the core we need... As that age bracket is only our missing key for continuous success..

We seem to be doing a very good job of 'rebuilding on the run'.

Holmes, Close, SDK, J Henry, Stengle, Z Guthrie, Miers, etc have all just quietly slotted into best 22 over the last couple of years. Now Esava, O Henry, Bruhn and Knevitt are all looking set for Best 22 in 2024. Throw the likes of Clark, Neale, Conway, Mullin, Dempsey, etc and it's looking like the turnover is going well.

Can easily see us just continuing the gradual process with a couple of carefully targeted additions, and let nature run its course.

Don't think it's clear cut. We'll trade for low hanging fruit I think but also take firsts to the draft.

Example last year we traded in three players but also took a first to the draft and preserved this year's first. We clearly value drafting at the moment, or at least valued this year's first quite highly. I think they'd expect next year's first to be early too

Depends on who retires.

If guys like tuohy and smith or rohan who are role players that we can replace (they are very good high level role players but we can cover them) and backup guys like ceglar and menegola go then yes we can still contend again next year.

If hawkins (blicavs has signed) or danger were to retire (unlikely as contracted) then our window shuts with this group imo.

Even if it does though our future looks reasonable though because ollie henry has been really good this year, sav has taken real steps forward (hope he signs), bruhn is showing signs of being a good afl mid, clark was showing real signs before he broke his foot and even bowes was ok pre injuries. Those guys plus holmes and sdk and close/stengle and miers is a good nucleus of younger guys. So i think long term we are in good shape. Hawkins is the one we cant replace as high level kpfs are so hard to find but henry is a threat and if we can structure up differently we may be ok.

Don't think it's clear cut. We'll trade for low hanging fruit I think but also take firsts to the draft.

Example last year we traded in three players but also took a first to the draft and preserved this year's first. We clearly value drafting at the moment, or at least valued this year's first quite highly. I think they'd expect next year's first to be early too

I think we will keep our f1 definitely and we will try to keep our r1 this year. We will basically only have that then one or two really late picks (as no r2-4 this year though picks come in as others pass).

I think we will try to trade our future 2nd and maybe a surplus player (parfitt or someone like that via a 3rd club is possible) for tdk for a similar ruck because we are needing a ruck.

With the retiring guys our best asset is we have more cap space than we have picks so we are better off apart from a ruck to try and just bring in FAs (doedee and maybe a free agent ruck if there is one, free agent kpd if sav goes, parish if he wants to come but i doubt he does) and take all other picks to the draft.

It's early still but it looks like we've drafted pretty well over recent years. Holmes and SDK particularly but Knevitt, O Henry, Bruhn and Clark look likely types. Add in a quality group of 24 year olds and I don't think hitting the draft super hard is a necessity.

Parish as a free agent would make a heap of sense. Midfield is our weakest area so we would absolutely be targeting him.

TDK as a potential ruck also makes sense if he comes fairly cheap.

If Hawkins and Danger go around again Geelong will absolutely think they've got another flag in them. But I don't think they'll trade out of consecutive drafts and offer 7-year contracts like Richmond. Like with Hopper I expect we'll have a point where we decide it's not worth chasing a particular player and move on.

You presently have picks 10 and 82 in this years draft… not a lot to play with.

Geelong will generally ignore age if they think the player will be best 22. Massive gap in the 24-28 group and no dangerfield level stars in the youngsters is the problem. I think Geelong will hit free agency to fill those gaps

You presently have picks 10 and 82 in this years draft… not a lot to play with.
Pick 10 would be the second earliest selection we've had access to since Selwood was drafted in '06 so that's more than we usually have

Always the option of trading down our first rounder or even trading our 2024 1st for some extra 2023 picks, if we wanted more picks for 'now' (either drafting or trade demands)

Yer you will need to be creative … I can’t see you trading out talent for picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back