Kangaroos Tasmanian Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

About the level of thinking I expected.

Yes. Everyone who agrees with you is an imbecile.

There is absolutely no reason for four out of 18 clubs to have access to academies which are unavailable for anyone else.

Either no 'zones' as such or every club gets a zone.

Still waiting for the northern WA zone- same arguments apply for it as for NSW- FFS the Giants get Albury and Broken Hill in their zone.

One of those clubs has far more control over the situation than the other.

Both of them have complete control. Save your petty swipes for the Bay.

Good, they can go & we'll have our own team. Thanks.

As a fellow Tasmanian, I agree 100%. This state deserves its own team.

Yes. Everyone who agrees with you is an imbecile.
No, people who whine endlessly about it yet can't think of anything more than a one sentence response on how to deal with the development of football in NSW are.

There is absolutely no reason for four out of 18 clubs to have access to academies which are unavailable for anyone else.
Sure there are. The areas now in the academy were once open for every club to develop and bar Collingwood, none did, so the AFL incentivised the development of these areas for the local clubs. Of course, the clubs pouring in the staff, finding the sponsors, setting up or buying the facilities are paying more at the draft table than the last pick in the rookie draft, but you roll with the punches.

Either no 'zones' as such or every club gets a zone.
Sure. Every club gets a zone. Fair, right? Sydney can take half the WAFL, and West Coast can have Sydney's zone if Newcastle to the Tweed. Everyone having a zone means they're all exactly equal, so there shouldn't be any problems with equality there. Thoughts?

No, people who whine endlessly about it yet can't think of anything more than a one sentence response on how to deal with the development of football in NSW are.

Sure there are. The areas now in the academy were once open for every club to develop and bar Collingwood, none did, so the AFL incentivised the development of these areas for the local clubs. Of course, the clubs pouring in the staff, finding the sponsors, setting up or buying the facilities are paying more at the draft table than the last pick in the rookie draft, but you roll with the punches.

Sure. Every club gets a zone. Fair, right? Sydney can take half the WAFL, and West Coast can have Sydney's zone if Newcastle to the Tweed. Everyone having a zone means they're all exactly equal, so there shouldn't be any problems with equality there. Thoughts?

None of the AFL clubs should be involved in any way.

The AFL can fully fund and run the academies itself.

So what's the reasoning for having a Tasmanian academy? Tassie is already a footy mad state.

I couldn't possibly be to give them a massive leg up over the competition could it? Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane supporters have already told us that it isn't just a bullshit way to ensure they are regular finalists.

Who would be against nurturing talent in a nursery that fed the VFL for decades, & hasnt been as productive in the recent AFL era.

The only way cash strapped clubs anywhere will invest in our game, not just their own self interest, is if they get something out of it.

Barry seems to want to do nothing, is that right Barry, feed off yesterday, not invest for the future of our game?

But they didn't so they could provide the Northern states with an unfair advantage, am I right?

In part yes.

There is a clear trend with the COLA that shows the AFL giving artificial advantages for reason.

This thread- with the Kangas getting offered a Tasmanian academy demonstrates that the AFL is giving clubs access to players in order to push an agenda.

Who would be against nurturing talent in a nursery that fed the VFL for decades, & hasnt been as productive in the recent AFL era.

The only way cash strapped clubs anywhere will invest in our game, not just their own self interest, is if they get something out of it.

Barry seems to want to do nothing, is that right Barry, feed off yesterday, not invest for the future of our game?

How many players have come from north of Geraldton?

Every plays footy but not many players coming through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See the article below, Wookie.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...ie-footy-academy/story-fnj4f7k1-1227138878798

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN AFL team committed to Tasmania could have access to the state’s best talent via an academy, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan says.

NSW and Queensland are starting to reap the benefits through the national draft via AFL club academies, and it is hoped Tasmania could follow suit in the future.

Mr McLachlan, in Hobart yesterday for the Property Council of Australia Tasmanian division Christmas luncheon, said there had been some very preliminary discussions about a state academy.

“Regardless of what happens going forward, things like academies should be on the table,” Mr McLachlan said.

“I’ve had conversations with the Kangaroos and other guys about what that might look like. These are just theories, but it is a really important state and getting the structure right here is really important.

“I don’t have the answers yet but I’m committed to this state and we’ll continue to come down here and talk and hopefully take Tasmanian footy forward.

Mr McLachlan reiterated his wish to see one club committed to Tasmania after the end of Hawthorn’s and North Melbourne’s contracts with Launceston and Hobart respectively at the end of 2016.

The Western Bulldogs have recently committed to the Ballarat region, an area the Kangaroos had been eyeing off.

Asked if this now means North Melbourne should be concentrating on Tasmania, he replied: “I’m strongly of the view their sole focus should be on Tasmania.”

He said discussions were yet to begin with the AFL stakeholders in Tasmania, particularly the State Government, which does not share the AFL’s view of one team playing in both Hobart and Launceston.

“With these things, it is better to be direct,” he said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you happy now? Is that good enough evidence for you?

Like I said, Gillon McLachlan doesn't even bother to disguise his intentions to relocate North. He can get f**ked.

North and Hawthorn are all perfectly happy with the current arrangement. The 4 games in Tassie has proven to be a great way of making money on non-profitable games. But the AFL can't keep their noses out of it. Their idea of "running the game" is to relocate North somewhere, by hook or by crook, irrespective of what the North members have to say about it…

Hawthorn and Tassie have cultivated a successful partnership over the past decade, but the AFL don't give a s**t. Never have. They arrogantly try to bully their way in and ride roughshod over Hawthorn's Tassie deal because we're nothing but a hindrance to their Tassie Kangas wet dream.

Our deal has another 12 months to run, but the pork-barreling has already started. The AFL has offered the first bribe: priority access to local kids from a Tasmanian Under 18 academy. Their next bribe will be via the fixtures.

You watch as the AFL promises North fans 8 home games in Tassie, 3 home games at the MCG vs Coll/Ess/Haw and another 7 away games here in Melbourne which the North members will have access to. Anything to appease the North stalwarts in the interim. The AFL will bend them over in due course. Because that's what the AFL do best - they win people over with bullshit and then go back on their word. They'll gradually erode North's presence here in Melbourne. 10 years from now, the AFL will give the Tassie Kangas away games vs Freo, WCE, Syd, GWS, Bris, GCS, Port, Adel,

Most people won't care about any of this. They should be concerned however. It's not just about Hawthorn getting f**ked over and North getting relocated. Giving birthday presents to the Tassie Kangas just makes it even more unlikely we'll see Carlton, Richmond, Melbourne, St Kilda or Bulldogs win a premiership anytime soon. The Giants, Suns and Tassie Kangas will all win multiple flags before any of those success-starved Vic clubs.

Equalisation? Hahahahah. Pig's arse!

How can there be "equalisation" when the AFL continue to make up different draft/salary cap rules for their favoured non-Victorian clubs?

How can there be "equalisation" when the AFL constantly compromises the fixture with side-deals for their favoured clubs?
You make some good points, but at the same time, it would be great for Tassie to have just one team for the whole state rather than having this north-south divide that is preventing it. I'm sure you wouldn't want Hawthorn to move here, and I'm sure you don't want North taking those 4 games off your hands because it's great money for your club. Both Hawks and North want the best of both worlds, but one of them HAS TO give it up. It just won't co-exist forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always been consistent on this view, I do not like academies, it might be good for the kid but it indoctrinates players to want to be part of a particular club rather than be ready to go into a generic player pool.

The draft should be the mechanism for restoring balance and creating an even competition but father-son, academies and free agency make the draft less effective a mechanism where you are not sacrificing as much or anything when it comes to free agents to acquire talent it prevents the draft being as effective a balancing mechanism.

So these two have been indoctrinated against any team other than GWS? Time will tell if they "go home ala Rocca, Grant, Gaspar" after a short time however to me they look pretty stoked to be going into the "generic pool" and be drafted by Port Adelaide.
http://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-11-27/2014-NAB-AFL-Draft-update-port

A father son process available to every club bar the Gold Coast and GWS- who had unprecedented access to pre draft talent.

If all 18 clubs had academies I wouldn't care in the slightest.

The academy players ARE available to be nominated for selection by any other club hence Port Adelaide making the most of the situation and drafting two players from GWS Academy 2014. Swans paid unders for Heeney but overs for the round two they selected.

So these two have been indoctrinated against any team other than GWS? Time will tell if they "go home ala Rocca, Grant, Gaspar" after a short time however to me they look pretty stoked to be going into the "generic pool" and be drafted by Port Adelaide.
http://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-11-27/2014-NAB-AFL-Draft-update-port

There are a lot of factors involved in someone wanting to go home, or not. Not everyone returns home, a club would still indoctrinate kids in their academy program, clubs did with the U19 competition before it was scrapped and it would suit their agenda to do so. If we got a program in Tasmania you can guarantee we would as well.

If a club doesn't, then they are idiots because clubs will do everything humanly possible to steal players from your club.

The academy players ARE available to be nominated for selection by any other club hence Port Adelaide making the most of the situation and drafting two players from GWS Academy 2014. Swans paid unders for Heeney but overs for the round two they selected.

No you paid unders for all 3 academy players there is no way to pay overs.

Melb bid 2 for Heeney you got him with 18 essentially moving up 16 spots in the 1st round.

Freo bid 32 for Hiscox you got him for 36 moving up 4 spots in the 2nd round.

Geelong bid 70 for Davis and you got him for 73 moving up 3 spots in the 4th round.

None of those player were available to any team but Sydney despite teams having earlier picks than the Swans and being willing to use those picks.

How does players being Available to be nominated change anything when they can be trumped with a lower pick.

The academies are a rort used soley to give teams an on field advantage, which is why North are only getting 1 if they commit to 8 games or more in Tassie and why Hawthorn have been told they can't start an academy in NSW or Qld despite being willing to spend $1mil+ A year on developing the game in those states.

Incorrect, Hiscox was rated a top 40 prospect by Kevin Sheahan, and also rated in the top 16 midfielders available in the draft.

Not a big advantage people say ?

Syd and Hawthorn play off in the GF, the Hawks get pick 19 to use on a kid, the Swans get to use pick 18 on a kid rated top 3, and will again next year when they are once again entitled to a kid who is rated just as high.

So, going forward, the Hawks are missing the quality players at the top of the draft, which is the whole reason for the draft, so they have to trade and give up picks, whereas the Swans are getting highly rated top 3 mids for picks around 18. Great for the Swans, they get to inject two highly rated mids into their already strong team, with, one would suspect, an ongoing filter of similar quality going forward.

People who don't realise this will end up as a massive advantage going forward are kidding themselves.

Now, don't get me wrong, good luck to the Swans, take what you can get, and grab any advantage the AFL is silly enough to throw your way, I have no problem with the Swans using this advantage, I have a problem with the AFL for being lazy and shortsighted, similar to the previous necessity that turned into a big advantage.

Incorrect, Hiscox was rated a top 40 prospect by Kevin Sheahan, and also rated in the top 16 midfielders available in the draft.
Find me any other ranking that has him that high. In fact, find me any ranking that had him in the ND based on his games at the championships or games in the NEAFL before he ran fast at draft camp. With about as much respect as is due, you don't know s**t from clay when it comes to academy players. You probably couldn't even name them off the top of your head but you read one over enthusiastic response from one observer based on athletic results and you're taking it as gospel because it suits your argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back