Preview Round 1: Hawthorn vs Geelong - Easter Monday MCG (3.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope shoe plays, honestly believe he deserves it or at the least gets a good run at it this time.

Reckon he's been somewhat of a hard luck story

- we made him into a defender out of necessity and through it he was continually and unfairly chastised despite always playing undersized and out of position
- forced to continually play with extra bulk to go with the power fwd's
- has slimmed down to his more natural size and will hopefully now get the chance, for the fire time, to play in his more natural position - the fwd line - where he predominantly played as a junior.

Above all, after missing two flags, being somewhat on the outer, the recruitment of frawley and much interest from rival clubs he basically tells everyone to get stuffed at the suggestion of leaving glenferrie.

Speaks volumes for his character and reflects strongly on our club

Hope shoe plays, honestly believe he deserves it or at the least gets a good run at it this time.
Lake, Frawley, Gibson & Stratton are in out best 22. That's already a very tall backline.

Spangher & Schoenmakers are depth players for both ends of the ground this year. Our only other KPPs are O'Brien & Grimley so we're actually a tad short on depth for talls.
Right now I'd say Spangher has done more to earn that #1 backup spot than Schoenmakers but its likely they'll give Schoey (and Grimley) numerous chances to prove themselves before deciding if they should be culled at the end of the year. At this stage I'd say both need big seasons to avoid it.

With Lake retiring at the end of the year there's a spot ready to be claimed by Shoey if he's good enough.

Lake, Frawley, Gibson & Stratton are in out best 22. That's already a very tall backline.
It will make for an interesting contest with both teams going very tall both forward and back. The Motlops, "Deliciouses" and the other runners will have a big say or none at all. No idea which! Fingers crossed Roughy and Hawkins have a day out. I feel like a shootout.

Spangher & Schoenmakers are depth players for both ends of the ground this year. Our only other KPPs are O'Brien & Grimley so we're actually a tad short on depth for talls.
Right now I'd say Spangher has done more to earn that #1 backup spot than Schoenmakers but its likely they'll give Schoey (and Grimley) numerous chances to prove themselves before deciding if they should be culled at the end of the year. At this stage I'd say both need big seasons to avoid it.

With Lake retiring at the end of the year there's a spot ready to be claimed by Shoey if he's good enough.
Or by Spang. I think he is also going to find it hard to break into the side, and in my opinion gives a lot more defensively than Shoey.

Or Roughy to fullback? *joke*

- we made him into a defender out of necessity and through it he was continually and unfairly chastised despite always playing undersized and out of position
- has slimmed down to his more natural size and will hopefully now get the chance, for the fire time, to play in his more natural position - the fwd line - where he predominantly played as a junior.

Above all, after missing two flags, being somewhat on the outer, the recruitment of frawley and much interest from rival clubs he basically tells everyone to get stuffed at the suggestion of leaving glenferrie.

I love the loyalty and commitment some of our supporters have for Schoey, to be blunt he really hasn't developed or shown enough to suggest hell be a player at the highest level.

The undersized comment is a cop out! He is the same height as Rough and is a beast of a kid, Its really obvious that he lacks leg speed and often makes poor decisions with ball in hand. Just because a guy shows some talent, has some height and stays somewhat loyal to Hawthorn doesn't mean we have to keep him for a decade.

I was a big Schoey fan, I held some really high hopes for him and I though with his elite skills, the ability to swing forward and back and with his height he would have come on and be a valued member of our 22. If he doesn't grasp it this year it's surely time to move him on and allow Heatherly or Brand the back ups back up role!

It will make for an interesting contest with both teams going very tall both forward and back. The Motlops, "Deliciouses" and the other runners will have a big say or none at all. No idea which! Fingers crossed Roughy and Hawkins have a day out. I feel like a shootout.

It'll be interesting for a little while.

I guess you're right. Reading comments in here, you have 22 All-Ausralians and Geelong have just equaled St.Kilda's record of wooden spoons.

You have Simpson, so you're half way there.

Yawn.

We are confident because we are back to back premiers.

Geelong appears to be confident because they've got some bloke who hasn't played AFL for a year or so and a tall project player who doesn't have a position.

No team worries about all of the opposition; I can't see Geelong thinking hmmm how do we stop Puopolo & Ceglar.

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Shoe and I agree with you to an extent. And sure, if it was round 19 vs the Saints, play him. But not against the Cats when we have almost a full list to pick from, you don't go throwing out charity spots because a player decided to stay with the club. Plus he didn't play any NAB games did he? Don't play anyone underdone vs the Cats or they'll expose them and make you pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schoenmakers was built for the role that Nathan Ablett played in 2007.

Lead up, mark 70m out and distribute to runners and forwards.

This backline stuff is a failed experiment and with Lake, Frawley, Gibson in the back half is one we don't need to go back to.

Shoey played a couple of games up forward late last year and still looked lost whilst Gunston was out with that minor knee injury.

Shoey played a couple of games up forward late last year and still looked lost whilst Gunston was out with that minor knee injury.
Yeah he looked really lost - I remember that. I still think it's the perfect role for his skill set, and I think it's a role our side has lacked. Buddy did it at times in 2013.

Strong sides named from both clubs. Disappointing Birch isn't playing but better not to risk underdone players. Jed, Ceglar and Suckling to play with Doc sub for mine.

Langford on HB may indicate that he will take Motlop with Shiels to take Johnson (who may be found out if he's underdone).

Should be a cracker but hopefully our versatility up forward and foot skills over four quarters will see us home.

Yeah I really thought Hale would play, I suspect he isn't 100% no point risking players at this point play who is fit and ready to go

I am curious whether they see Shoe as better KP depth than Spang or if it comes down to fitness again.

I believe that Shoe can cover more positions on the ground than Spang as an emergency and expect we will see him in that bracket a lot this year if we don't have injuries or form pushing him into the team.

Who we play as sub is going to be interesting.

Doc and Jedi both have toughness and can impact in the 4th, I also think JOR is a player who would do well coming on late, same with Billy.

Clarko does like giving baptisms by fire sometimes so we could see JOR or Jedi playing a full game
Spangher would be emg if he was fit IMO. i'm expecting Duryea to be sub, Anderson to play a full game. JOR and Billy to miss out

Spangher would be emg if he was fit IMO. i'm expecting Duryea to be sub, Anderson to play a full game. JOR and Billy to miss out
Billy, JOR, Duryea, Ando and WX all fighting for that last spot (yes I know they're all different players but they likely are). Add Lithers and Sicily and our depth is bordering on silly. God help me - I might be dissapointed with only two flags in a row bc we look better than last year!!

Billy, JOR, Duryea, Ando and WX all fighting for that last spot (yes I know they're all different players but they likely are). Add Lithers and Sicily and our depth is bordering on silly. God help me - I might be dissapointed with only two flags in a row bc we look better than last year!!

Lets just see what we are like after a few Rounds currently we are 0-0 how we look on paper counts for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back