Review Winners and Losers of Trade Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Losers:

West Coast - A wooden spoon and the best they could do was swap a pick and delist a player.

Brisbane - Midfield was raped by GC, and they still have Fev. Handy picks yes, but it'll take a few years to recover.

Carlton - Lost arguably their second best ruckman for a second round pick. Talked a lot, and didn't do much.

AFLPA - Uncontracted players are again shafted by trade restrictions. The sooner the AFLPA pushes in a NHL-style player movements system the better for all.

Winners:

Gold Coast - even before the season ended we knew that given the concessions they would be a major player and in a strong position in trade week. They'll be in flag contention well before the losers recover.

Collingwood - Absolutely ruthless in trade week again. Don't know why clubs bother to deal with them.

Richmond - Apparently an attractive place for players looking for more game time. Might even get Houli for nothing. Also got rid of that spud Tambling.

AFL - will again use this period to point out that enough players moved so there's no need for changes to the off season player movement system. They've also made dead certain their first pet project will thrive for a few years at least.

I don't see how Brisbane can be rated as a loser of trade week. Traded out two inconsistent players that gave a lot of supporters the shits with their up and down form. Have potentially 5 picks in the first 30 depending on other clubs using their compensation picks. Sure we lost two players in their prime but GC gets the best out of this draft and we do the next best and didn't even get the spoon.

You paid too much for Krakeour and Ceglar, got Tarrant for a fairish price and did some weird deal with West Coast. If that is a spectacular trade week I'll be damned.

Carlton broke even at worst. Lost players on the periphery and gained similiar type players plus pick upgrades. I call it a slight win at B+

I'm another who disagrees with you B&S, I think on face value the Pies have done better than the Blues.

Hell, I would even suggest that Hawthron (who you assessed as C-) has broken even with Carlton (who you gave B+), or at least not the discrepancy you are suggesting:

At the end of it all;

Hawthorn:
Out: Brown, 71
In: Hale, Cheney, 66

Carlton:
Out: Grigg, Jacobs, 36, 53
In: Collins, Laidler, 33, 41, 67.

Getting deals done for two uncontracted players is not a loss. People who actually have knowledge about the game (that's not you) disagree with your assessment on Carlton's trade week.

I think the only disappointing thing from carltons point of view is with the players they traded out they were unable to get another pick in the first round

Also, i find Laidler selection pretty interesting. Havent seen much of him but im not surprised as he's only played 2 games.

Blues may end up with a win there :thumbsu:

I'm another who disagrees with you B&S, I think on face value the Pies have done better than the Blues.

Hell, I would even suggest that Hawthron (who you assessed as C-) has broken even with Carlton (who you gave B+), or at least not the discrepancy you are suggesting:

At the end of it all;

Hawthorn:
Out: Brown, 71
In: Hale, Cheney, 66

Carlton:
Out: Grigg, Jacobs, 36, 53
In: Collins, Laidler, 33, 41, 67.

Paid too much for Hale, Cheney is an ok replacement for Brown. You lost some ground in my mind

It is probably better to rate them using grades:

Hawthorn: C-

Hale deal was quite a bit over, Hill deal didn't get done. Cheney is a nice pick up, but it isn't enough

C- is a little bit harsh. Hawks didn't really lose too much in gaining two players which yes, they didn't really address their two main concerns which are KPD and outside pace but I'm fairly confident that Hale will make a contribution next season for the Hawks. Don't know anything about Cheney so can't comment.

I'm guessing most people laughed when the Hawks picked up Dew and Skipper in the last few trade weeks/drafts too. I'll hold fire on my grading of the Hawks until I've seen more next season.

Look assessing results this early is always going to have issues. This is just my first glance assessment.

Bloody oath it is. It seems that if you did a trade with Gold Coast for a state league player, it's being judged as a great value get. The stupid thing is that noone would bat an eyelid, if you had have drafted the same player with the pick you gave up.

Paid too much for Hale, Cheney is an ok replacement for Brown. You lost some ground in my mind

I know what you are saying, but if 'Cheney is an ok replacement for Brown' (much younger too), then effectively, we have a pick upgrade and Hale for free.

Considering Hale strengthens Hawthorn's weakest area (ruck - he will definately be one half of the starting pair - ahead of Taylor and Skipper) and can swing forward (versatility useful with new rule), I think the trade period has improved our list.

C- is a little bit harsh. Hawks didn't really lose too much in gaining two players which yes, they didn't really address their two main concerns which are KPD and outside pace but I'm fairly confident that Hale will make a contribution next season for the Hawks. Don't know anything about Cheney so can't comment.

I'm guessing most people laughed when the Hawks picked up Dew and Skipper in the last few trade weeks/drafts too. I'll hold fire on my grading of the Hawks until I've seen more next season.

Most people are still laughing about Skipper. FWIW, I think that Hale is a pretty good get.

x = cross
o = tick

Adelaide- x

I'm interested to see how you have come to this conclusion. IMO
  • Payed overs for Tambling but he partially fills the void left by Goodwin and McLeod providing run from HB
  • Payed unders for Jacobs who fills a massive void in our ruck stocks
  • In summary probably broke even in terms of what we lost compared to what we gained but addressed two fairly serious flaws in our list. I would have thought at least one tick was in order

But hey I'm probably wearing my crow eater glasses :)

For Richmond..

Tambling's a hard one to judge...I think we got more than he's currently worth, but I also think the change of scenery will do wonders for him and in time he'll probably end up looking like a steal. ( less to do with Richmond development as being a skinny kid from NT thrust into the limelight for being the guy taken before Buddy and struggling to cope ).

Grigg <-> Collins. Again, we probably 'won' the deal, but considering we had the whip hand, should have done a bit better.

Houli. Happy we held out, regardless of if we'll get him elsewhere. The Grigg deal might have had us looking a bit soft, but this showed we'll let a deal go if we don't get an offer we're happy with.

Overall, I think we 'won', but not in a big way.

Most people are still laughing about Skipper. FWIW, I think that Hale is a pretty good get.

Not sold on hale yet. I hope they use him as #1 ruck and they'll get the most out of him that way

What happens to Renouf, Skipper, Taylor after that remains to be seen.

Imo i dont think you need hale in that forwardline, so using him as a second ruck would be a waste

All remains to be seen though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is every club will think they are winners but my thoughts were;

Losers:

Brisbane - Ouch! If the coach wasnt their greatest player he would be gone by now. He, CEO and the List Manager have to take some responsibility for this disaster. To lose Rischa, Brennan, Sherman and have Clark vunerable is not a good position.

Geelong - Only slightly but cannot believe they let a kid as talented as that get away for as little as they did. still that last deal to get #15 was smart.

Essendon - Houli for nothing...coach Hird has made a statement....not sure it was the right one.

Hawks - Will upset a few but I thought they paid overs for Hale. Getting Hill would have been good for them and surprised Dogs held him so tightly. He is going to find it hard to get a game i would have thought in Dogs side. Will Cheney play 'best 22'??

Neutral:

Adelaide - They got Jacobs cheap but got done on Tambo.

West Coast - Thought they gave away McKinley to cheaply but it wasnt huge.

West Bullies - Wow! Sherman, Djerkurra, Vespremi and a pick for Harbrow and Everitt and a late pick....thats about evens for me.

Melbourne - Shame they didnt get Hale as would have been good for them. Surprised they didnt have a back up.

Port - didnt do anything but they were looking like losing Salopek so kept their list together and bring in more kids.

Saints - Did nothing. Right approach for them.

Winners

Gold Coast - easily the best.

Swans - Everitt for Vespremi & a pick. Good deal for Swans as they got exactly the player they will need and he is a good one. Big blokes take a bit longer and they have him just at the right time.

Fremantle - picked up a couple of prelisted players for under the mark i thought and got what I thought was fair for tarrant albeit I can understand Freo's frustration

Richmond - Tambo was a great deal for them. Grigg for Collins was fair. Grigg been better to date but Collins was someone I rated pretty highly.

Carlton - Laidler was a bargain, Jacobs was fair and Grigg was fair. I quite like Collins but I must admit I thought Grigg has probably been the better player to now.

North - thought they paid big unders for McKinley and Richardson was a very good get.

Collingwood - Great outcome for them (have to assume Cloke stays). Got a pick for Fraser when nobody else would give them one. Gtd best 22 player for 5 years and a ruck prospect that would have gone around 60. Kept Anthony to.

I know what you are saying, but if 'Cheney is an ok replacement for Brown' (much younger too), then effectively, we have a pick upgrade and Hale for free.

Considering Hale strengthens Hawthorn's weakest area (ruck - he will definately be one half of the starting pair - ahead of Taylor and Skipper) and can swing forward (versatility useful with new rule), I think the trade period has improved our list.

Hale for free?

No you lost Brown, got a less experienced replacement who could go either way, then used your compo pick to get a 26yr old ruck man who might be a better forward but no one really knows. You also failed to complete the Hill trade, with apparently Pelchen being asked to leave.

I thought you could of done much better. Say gathering Orren Stephenson off GC for your second rounder. That would of been good.

I don't see how Brisbane can be rated as a loser of trade week. Traded out two inconsistent players that gave a lot of supporters the shits with their up and down form. Have potentially 5 picks in the first 30 depending on other clubs using their compensation picks. Sure we lost two players in their prime but GC gets the best out of this draft and we do the next best and didn't even get the spoon.

You lost your BnF player, and best utility player. If this happened to any other team, most would have several picks in the top 30 also. That doesn't make it a win.

Clearly Lions are a loser at this stage, not massively perhaps, but the situation is not ideal. Good drafting can easily turn this around though.

You might still lose Cloke.

I stand by my view that 25 for Krakeour and Ceglar is over-paying.

Tarrant would of been a horrible get for Carlton, would only play for a year or two, stall development time in other players and take a big chunk of salary. Enjoy that by the way.

You have the best system in the league. I am undecided whether you have the best list. You will apparently be going on a de-listing spree anyway so you will lose players, some of whom may be good, but can't crack your side.

Carlton didn't lose, but we didn't really win. Laidler was a steal though.

Oh and save the condescending ****

I agree with everything in your post except the comment that pick 25 for Ceglar and Krakouer is over paying. We would have drafted Ceglar with pick 25 anyway if he wasnt pre listed by GC, so I think its a pretty good deal for us. As for Tazz coming to Carlton it would have been a very dumb move for Carlton as you are not in your premiership window yet.

Collingwood done good.

North done very good too.

Cam Richardosn will be the Michael Barlow of 2011. And Barlow was the Liam Anthony of 2010, which says a lot about the quality of our recruiting.

In fact, North and Collingwood have been by far the best recruiters of the last couple of years, when one considers recruiting to be a mix of drafting and trading records. Freo good too.

Brisbane- xxx

Brennan, pick 10, 48 and band 3 compensation for Pick 5, 25, 27 and Bewick
Sherman for Band 3 compensation

Brisbane lose - Brennan, Sherman, Band 3 compensation, pick 10 and 48
Brisbane gain - Pick 5, 25, 27, Bewick and Band 3 compensation

Hardly a triple cross considering we lost a player struggling to break into our side, and got a deal done for an uncontracted player (considering that Carlton getting deals done for two uncontracted players isn't a loss according to you).

Bombers deserve a slap for their effort at the trade table. For the 3rd worst team in the comp to make no trades is a bit unbelievable.

Dont really have a problem with not trading Houli because we are only using our 3 ND picks, 1 rookie upgrade and 1 PSD pick. Therefore the Richmond 3rd rounder would have been pretty worthless.

But FFS where is the creativity. Do something Dudorro, you must be teflon coated. Have you drafted an all australian yet?

There is rating the actually ins and out of a club based on a level playing field, but then there is rating club based on the situation they found themselves in.

IMO Carlton and Brisbane started trade week on a massive backfoot with player requesting to be traded from them, and those players nominating clubs and being uncontracted.

I'll concentrate on Carlton...

Most Carlton fans had put in their frame of mind that we're gonna lose Grigg for nothing or very little. Most non carlton fans agree.. and most Richmond fans were putting this in our faces... to end up finalising a deal for Collins has to be seen as a plus as most people either see it as an even trade or a plus for Carlton. For me, I see it as even. So to achieve an even score makes it a plus when considering circumstances.

Second deal was the Jacobs one. Again we are put on the back foot. He chose a team, and this team was an interstate one. We held out as much as we could, but at the end could not bridge the wound. So it's a negative in terms of output, but even in terms of situation.

Third deal is Laidler. Now we effectively got him for the third rounder. Don't know much about him, but most cats fans and "commentator" seem to rate him. Ratts has been after him for a couple of years. So to nab him for so cheap, that is a massive plus.

So in summary, in terms of in and out, we have Even, Neg and Pos = Even
in terms of situation, we have a Pos, Even, Pos = Pos...

So we have done good out of trade week

Reality is every club will think they are winners but my thoughts were;

Losers:

Geelong - Only slightly but cannot believe they let a kid as talented as that get away for as little as they did. still that last deal to get #15 was smart.

I think we actually broke even. We did give away Djerrkura, who was originally a number 25 pick, for pick 57, which could be seen as a loss, but we also traded Laidler, who was a rookie elevation, for a 2nd round draft pick and an upgrading of 3rd round picks IIRC, which was a gain. In that regard, we broke even.

Then you factor in how good Wells is at unearthing gems in the draft, so giving him 6 picks in the top 60 could be a huge result for us. He's plucked guys like Chapman (pick 31, 1999), Ling (pick 38, 1999), Enright (pick 47, 1999), Hunt (pick 44, 2000), Egan (pick 62, 2004), Stokes (pick 61, 2005) and Harry Taylor (pick 17, 2007) out of the blue before. Who's to say Wells can't do it again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back