5th Test Australia vs England @ SCG 3rd - 7th January 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Rankings shmankings. Johnson is top after that performance.
It's flawed system for sure but Johnson is about right at eighth atm. They value sustained performance and one amazing series doesn't make Johnson the best in the world, Philander and Steyn are very deserving of one and two. If Johnson can do this again in SA, he'll have a good case for the number one mantle.

It's flawed system for sure but Johnson is about right at eighth atm. They value sustained performance and one amazing series doesn't make Johnson the best in the world, Philander and Steyn are very deserving of one and two. If Johnson can do this again in SA, he'll have a good case for the number one mantle.
It is not a flawed system, if Johnson comes out next series and returns to his wayward self they would be seen as a joke for even putting him at 8.

I doub't he will get to #1 after SA with this form, maybe the series after that providing he doesn't drop off.

It is not a flawed system, if Johnson comes out next series and returns to his wayward self they would be seen as a joke for even putting him at 8.

I doub't he will get to #1 after SA with this form, maybe the series after that providing he doesn't drop off.
As I said, eighth is about right atm. Of course the system is flawed. Are you telling me Ross Taylor is the third best batsman in the world? No. Is Ojha the ninth best bowler in the world? No.

I mentioned that I was polishing off left over Pizza at about 1am and it kicked off. There was a dozen guys contemplating maccas runs soon after. The great Chicken Treat debate ensued even though us easterners never had it.

Ahhh the memories. Already looking forward to 2015.

Cricket truly has a claim to being the greatest game on earth.

Ahhh the memories. Already looking forward to 2015.

Cricket truly has a claim to being the greatest game on earth.

I love a big test series like this one because it's great to watch posters who in the footy season would call each other biased dickless flogs joining together to assail a common enemy.

I love a big test series like this one because it's great to watch posters who in the footy season would call each other biased dickless flogs joining together to assail a common enemy.

:thumbsu:

You still are a biased dickless flog though

You will,understand if I place a bit of weight on the opinions of the gents who,have played Test cricket, who have seen a shit load,of him in County cricket over a long career and in Shane Warnes case have actually captained the bloke
Shane warne is very biased towards blokes he likes as blokes, not necessarily great cricketers. Other than that his cricket comments are fantastic, but he shouldn't veer too far from these!

Should be concerned about Smith (arguably best opener of the lst 20 years), Petersen (over 200 runs in 3 games against Australia), Amla (One of the best bats in the world), de Villiers (Gun and likely succeeder to Smith as captain), du Plessis (we all remember what he did in Adelaide ON DEBUT), Duminy (Low average but once he gets it right will be a fantastic player) and de Kock (averages 52 in FC cricket with the gloves). Then they have 2 genuine bowling allrounders in Peterson and Philander.
Why have they struggled against India then.

Watching the presentation now and thoroughly enjoying it. Are there highlights that include Haddin's sprinkler dance and Johnson's 5-0 gesture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll find life a lot tougher in SA, they are more used to that sort of bowling and have a much better batting line up. I think he can continue to bowl well and accurately, but will be interesting to see how well he backs up.

yy2a.jpg
george bailey already knows...

And so ends one of the most insipid Test series performances you are ever likely to see. Despite going through periods where we will be thoroughly outclassed, I'd hate to think the Aussies would ever put in such a heartless performance.

I guess it is easier to have a crack and 'play for the honour of your country' when you are actually playing for your country.

Amazing results - congratulations to everyone involved - certainly went against my thoughts and form. Many things to ponder as a result - the performance of all visiting sides has been on the wane for awhile - why is it so? Is it pitches? Is it being away from home for an extended period? Is the internal culture impossible to manage with the advent of cricketers becoming more individual that team focussed?

South Africa will be an enthralling contest - hopefully more of a contest than here - the Poms were in the drivers seat on more than one occasion in this series, but each time folded like deck chairs on the titanic. Now it's our turn to travel again and our recent record is not strong.

South Africa will be an enthralling contest - hopefully more of a contest than here - the Poms were in the drivers seat on more than one occasion in this series, but each time folded like deck chairs on the titanic. Now it's our turn to travel again and our recent record is not strong.

Haddin saved us every time England got a sniff in this series, and we have to ensure in Sth Africa by the time Haddin arrives at the crease we are in much more commanding positions than in this series.

It will be a very interesting series though. I still remember the truly bizarre Ist Test over there at Newlands back in 2011 where we skittled them for less than 100 and then got rolled for 47 in the 2nd dig!

Haddin saved us every time England got a sniff in this series, and we have to ensure in Sth Africa by the time Haddin arrives at the crease we are in much more commanding positions than in this series.

It will be a very interesting series though. I still remember the truly bizarre Ist Test over there at Newlands back in 2011 where we skittled them for less than 100 and then got rolled for 47!

And I will never forget the shot Haddin played on that day - and I was happy to condemn him then and there - he has redeemed himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back