5th Test Australia vs England @ SCG 3rd - 7th January 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

If she's not interested in casual sex then what's she doing on tinder? Isn't that a violation of the terms of service?

I don't know anything about Tinder, but it just seems to me there are some women who love to use sporting people to get their 15 minutes of fame. We've seen it with people such as Shane Warne and Lance Franklin in the past, and we will continue to see it happen. Just for once, I'd love to see the media suggest that they tell their story walking.

Amazing results - congratulations to everyone involved - certainly went against my thoughts and form. Many things to ponder as a result - the performance of all visiting sides has been on the wane for awhile - why is it so? Is it pitches? Is it being away from home for an extended period? Is the internal culture impossible to manage with the advent of cricketers becoming more individual that team focussed?
I think the lack of tour games plays a part. Little chance to acclimatise before a series begins. And that is either followed either by a short series with no opportunity to come back, or by a series with no tour games in the middle to give potential replacements a game. ven with the ODIs and T20s turs are no longer than they used to be.
There is just more international cricket in the same time and less chance to try the non-first-teamers or to recover physically or mentally. It is completely unfair to judge Rankin and Borthwick after being forced to play in a dispirited team and not playing game since November.
More nations doctoroing their pitches and doping it more scientifically than in the past is probably another, major, factor.

South Africa will be an enthralling contest - hopefully more of a contest than here - the Poms were in the drivers seat on more than one occasion in this series, but each time folded like deck chairs on the titanic. Now it's our turn to travel again and our recent record is not strong.
I suspect Australia will not drop their heads like that, even if they cop a hiding early. England seemed to be mentally not there lae in the series. It was almost like playing out the last hour of an inevitable draw - except doing it for 2-3 Tests.

Selective scheduling helps a bit.

You wouldn't call a 3 day Tour game in Tassie ideal preparation for a Gabba Test.

Very true. How interesting was the game when an England team would come here for a 5 month tour, play against at least three state teams, including Queensland at the Gabba before playing the Brisbane Test?

It's true that I will never embrace truncated forms of cricket as legitimate, that's my problem, but it all seemed to make some sort of sense back then. You would see emerging players in Sheffield Shield competing against Test players.

Now they get a touring team here, Australian players are usually returning from somewhere, throw 5 Tests together, a handful of 50 over and 20/20 games, and ship Australia off to some other part of the universe. Our International summer only really lasts for 3 months (an entire Test series in 6-7 weeks), no wonder football feels it can dominate Australian sport for 9 months of the year.

I have my thoughts on what I'd like to see, but it will never happen.

The kind of stuff the poms were dishing out in 05 to punter. Revenge is sweet

He seems so inoffensive though, that's probably his one big flaw as far as I (and many others) are concerned is that he's an exceedingly boring individual on and off the field.

I find him pretty hard to hate, I should be despising the English captain but Cook is too dull for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What in hell would Geoff Boycott know about leadership?

True - but I must be getting old because I find it hard to disagree with him - Cook ha been very poor onfield and their is no heir - amazing how dominance can be turned around so quickly. They've never adequately replaced Strauss - either as Captain or Opener.

I'm not trying to be critical of Alex Doolan's selection, just curious. Can someone fill me in on what he has done to warrant this selection? I looked him up on Cricinfo and he's made 6 100s in 94 innings at an average of just under 38. Not exactly an earth shattering effort, especially if he's going to be batting at 3.

Long gone are the days when players like Greg Chappell, Hayden and Lehmann had to make 1000 runs a season, year after year before getting selected. Just shows the condition Australian cricket is really in.

True - but I must be getting old because I find it hard to disagree with him - Cook ha been very poor onfield and their is no heir - amazing how dominance can be turned around so quickly. They've never adequately replaced Strauss - either as Captain or Opener.

Yeah, he may be right, but I gave up listening to Geoff Boycott years ago. He's too self absorbed for my liking. If you want a laugh, and a better understanding of what Boycott is all about, watch this funny story from Bumble.

Yeah, he may be right, but I gave up listening to Geoff Boycott years ago. He's too self absorbed for my liking. If you want a laugh, and a better understanding of what Boycott is all about, watch this funny story from Bumble.

I actually think to a point that he's mellowed a bit and to use a Pommy expression realises what a prat he was - but he calls it as he sees it and enjoyed listening to him over both series - particularly about his mum batting with a stick of rhubarb.

I'm not trying to be critical of Alex Doolan's selection, just curious. Can someone fill me in on what he has done to warrant this selection? I looked him up on Cricinfo and he's made 6 100s in 94 innings at an average of just under 38. Not exactly an earth shattering effort, especially if he's going to be batting at 3.

Long gone are the days when players like Greg Chappell, Hayden and Lehmann had to make 1000 runs a season, year after year before getting selected. Just shows the condition Australian cricket is really in.

Endemic of society and the need for "now" rather than patience - I have bored many to tears with my ramblings on this subject - the standard of cricket (batting) will never be what it was - it can't because what sits underneath has changed. Theire will be at times exquisite feats but tests lasting five days will be few and far between.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back