Unofficial Preview Face off: Adelaide v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait a sec, I have to defend Sando on that one. I heard the interview and those words were put into his mouth by the the interviewer who thought he'd struck gold as soon as Sando was dumb enough to repeat the words in his answer. Sando didn't just stand up and say 'we're going to show them no mercy'.
So Sando made a dumb comment either way

I dunno, from his 8 goals on the weekend most of them were despite pressure from the defender. There were a few where a faster defender may have put more pressure on him, [his first goal and another where he was able to lead back into space and mark by himself] but Schulz's use of the body was excellent and think that is where he would try and beat Talia.

Should be a good contest.

Talia has held most of his opponents who are bigger, faster than Schultz, to 0 or 1 goal for most of the year. I'll be amazed if Schultz kicks 3 or more goals on him. Talia is in AA form.

Talia has held most of his opponents who are bigger, faster than Schultz, to 0 or 1 goal for most of the year. I'll be amazed if Schultz kicks 3 or more goals on him. Talia is in AA form.

Did Talia play on Schulz in round 2 when Schulz kicked 3 goals against you?

Can't agree with the Matt Crouch can't kick calls. I've seen a fair bit of him at SANFL level myself. Yes he's not 50 metre bullet pass-type like Brodie Smith but his kicking over 30-40 is fine. He's a bit like Sloane in that as long as he kicks within his limitations and doesn't try and over cook it, his kicking is actually ok.

Also, here's a stat: M.Crouch has had 39 kicks in his last two SANFL games with only 7 being classed as ineffective. Combined with the amount of contested ball he gets, it sounds reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you think will run with Hoff if Talia moves to Schulz?
Otten Has played on Hoff before and beat him, BUT! that was when you were crap and the Hoff was as reliable a politician keeping a promise. Hinkley has hardened him up and he's much more dangerous now so it should be interesting. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Otten and Pods swap and just get Pods to smash him at the contest.

just get Pods to smash him at the contest.

Hahaha, Pods will need to get within 10 metres of him first! ;)

Good luck with that.

Also with Rutten out I can see Trengove playing forwards a bit more to release Hoff up the ground, will be interesting to see what the match ups would be in that case.

This year Schulz as kicked 33 goals in 8 games against current bottom 8 sides, average of 4.1 per game.
He has kicked 10 goals in 5 games against current top 8 sides, 2 goals per game.

Three goals against us is a fair result given we are not a current top 8 side.

I don't mind the make up of the side. The only real change I would have made would have been resting Danger and playing someone like Grigg or Atikins. Danger is cooked IMO.

Can see no match up for Truck and am glad he is being rested. Pods is far more versatile and can see him stretching Port's backline with them also having to keep Tex and Jenkins in check. Neither of these guys played earlier in the year, Johnston and Mckernan playing those roles. Both of them were woefull.

Wet day could counter those three guys effectiveness in the air, but Jenkins and Tex can play on the run/ground level and don't rely on contested marking to get goals. Pod's ability to get the ball to ground to crumbers could be vital. Eddie Betts could have a ripper as his logical opponent is a first year player, who is good, but still learning his craft.

We certainly need to stop their run. This far and away is their biggest asset. Not sure how we can do it, as teams like North, Sydney and Hawthorn did it by negating spread at stoppages. I can't see us doing this. And this is why I struggle to see us winning the game. Also need to look for the forward running of Hoff and Schultz once they create a turnover. Talia will need to wear Schultz with a glove, Otten the same on Westhoff. Actually the matchup on Westhoff is one of my biggest concerns.

End of the day I just want to see our guys put in their best effort for most of the game and not allow a 10 minute period kill the game off. To go down like a sack of s**t with their guys running away with the win like we did earlier in the year against the Power will be a massive disappointment.

Hahaha, Pods will need to get within 10 metres of him first! ;)

Good luck with that.

Also with Rutten out I can see Trengove playing forwards a bit more to release Hoff up the ground, will be interesting to see what the match ups would be in that case.
Pods will just smash the contest at the ball drop, as is his way, The Hoff will just read it and they meet.
Unfortunately he may take some of our guys out too...as is his way.

And lets face it Hoff isn't fast, he's slippery. his Speed and fitness wont beat Pods, Pods attention span might.

his Speed and fitness wont beat Pods, Pods attention span might.

Hahaha, oh deary me.

Hoff would be one of the hardest runners in the AFL at his size.

And yet at the start of the week you said Grigg/Atkins needed to come in. The only thing that's changed is the coaches haven't selected him and now you agree with their descision. Surprise surprise, you do a fine Shorten impersonation, "I agree with what ever Sando says"
I agree one of those two should have come in still, but at the expense of someone like Lyons, who was bog ordinary last week.

My ascertation wasn't that Pods did or didn't deserve a game, it was that he shouldn't be used as the swing man from forward to defence.
Never like this idea as you then have too many tall defenders unless you sub one. And should we be using pods in this way??
Still don't like the idea of going in with all of pods, lynch, walker and Jenkins as forwards, would prefer 3 of them and someone like danger, kedge, etc. instead.
Yeah, I had always pegged Pods to go when Lynch came back, but you just couldn't drop him on current form, and Lynch had to come in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back