VFL Round 4 - Geelong vs Collingwood at Queen Elizabeth Oval (Pies WON 92-83, replay P15, Post #361)

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more thought

Shaz - he is ALWAYS composed
Can't visit to have in our senior team.
Supporters need to relax for a while though - he's still easing himself in - a couple times at the start of the game I could see he wanted to take a situation on but backed off bc it appeared getting his knee crunched might be an option
HOWEVER - he then got more and more confident and was in everything towards the end
Get on board with him.

DGo - he is a bull. His size, strength and athleticism is going to be great for us. Great pick at 5

BenKen - I thought he was quite electric

Cox - if he'd grown up here and learnt footy all his life...wowee
Potential is a dangerous word but this boy has it. Already signs of being a great tap ruckman with the ability to push forward, take huge grabs and kick long goals

Maynard. Such a tough game. He took so many hits bc he kept putting his body on the line - really promising game
H

Buckley made a comment about Freeman only last week on ABC radio.
He is a long way off and both club and player know it.
It's Freeman's 3rd or 4th competitive game in 2 years.. he looks like he's in 2nd gear out there.. just lacks match practice. Still looks quite good though. It would be difficult for anyone at a high level to come in and smash it. I know Freeman is holding back.. sussing out the scenery.. stretching his legs., tip toeing through the tulips.. give him time. He'll be a brut.. you only need to see glimpses of it.

Last edited:

Not Sure but Maynard would be no worse then Armstrong

Armstrong has a strong record at VFL level, Maynard not yet at that standard or consistency.

It's Freeman's 3rd or 4th competitive game in 2 years.. he looks like he's in 2nd gear out there.. just lacks match practice. Still looks quite good though. It would be difficult for anyone at a high level to come in and smash it. I know Freeman is holding back.. sussing out the scenery.. stretching his legs., tip toeing through the tulips.. give him time. He'll be a brut.. you only need to see glimpses of it.

Yeah, I agree. Currently not even stretching himself as much as he did during the preseason but he has shown glimpses and is deserving of our patience.

As some of you may know, im a semi regular training watcher. Plan to be there tomorrow as well. One thing I noticed from Shaz's highlight tape at under 18s level was his kicking skill and sheer penetration in his kicks. However on the training track, this seems to have deminished a tad. He is still an excellent kick and decision maker but at the moment it almost looks to lack penetration like Sidey's kicking. Any of the VFL watchers and maybe mattys123 I think goes pretty often but anyone feel free to answer noticed this in match conditions?

As some of you may know, im a semi regular training watcher. Plan to be there tomorrow as well. One thing I noticed from Shaz's highlight tape at under 18s level was his kicking skill and sheer penetration in his kicks. However on the training track, this seems to have deminished a tad. He is still an excellent kick and decision maker but at the moment it almost looks to lack penetration like Sidey's kicking. Any of the VFL watchers and maybe mattys123 I think goes pretty often but anyone feel free to answer noticed this in match conditions?

Well he had bad Feet Injury and then a ACL. Then would hurt your Kicking Quite a Bit.

Hopefully with more GameTime that can Slowly Return

True but Maynard has showed a ton more Potential then TA

Armstrong has shown enough potential to be drafted by 3 clubs...

Totally different type of player. Add to that Maynard is a kid just starting his journey, while Armstrong was recruited to provide occasional back up, then clearly we should have greater expectation of Maynard making a bigger impact at senior level.

My point was that we knew Armstrong's abilities and weaknesses when we drafted him but he performs an important role at the club. He's actually a bit of a general in defense at VFL level and the kids will benefit from that. Just don't expect him to be in Brownlow contention any time soon.

Didn't notice any lack of penetration in his kicking yesterday. I mentioned elsewhere though that he seems reluctant to kick on the left so maybe it's a confidence thing. I mean even if he's kicking with the right a lack of confidence in his left knee may mean he's not giving it 100% yet.

What time is training tomorrow?

Armstrong has shown enough potential to be drafted by 3 clubs...

Totally different type of player. Add to that Maynard is a kid just starting his journey, while Armstrong was recruited to provide occasional back up, then clearly we should have greater expectation of Maynard making a bigger impact at senior level.

My point was that we knew Armstrong's abilities and weaknesses when we drafted him but he performs an important role at the club. He's actually a bit of a general in defense at VFL level and the kids will benefit from that. Just don't expect him to be in Brownlow contention any time soon.

and Was De-Listed by all 3.

Armstrong is quite good at VFL Level and probably does help Development of the Kids down there but Offers not much at AFL Level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some more thought
Shaz - he is ALWAYS composed
Can't visit to have in our senior team.
Supporters need to relax for a while though - he's still easing himself in - a couple times at the start of the game I could see he wanted to take a situation on but backed off bc it appeared getting his knee crunched might be an option
HOWEVER - he then got more and more confident and was in everything towards the end
Get on board with him.
DGo - he is a bull. His size, strength and athleticism is going to be great for us. Great pick at 5
BenKen - I thought he was quite electric
Cox - if he'd grown up here and learnt footy all his life...wowee
Potential is a dangerous word but this boy has it. Already signs of being a great tap ruckman with the ability to push forward, take huge grabs and kick long goals
Maynard. Such a tough game. He took so many hits bc he kept putting his body on the line - really promising game

Cheers, Schuey.
Exciting prospects.

De Goey- Superb. He died off after 3QT but his first 3 quarters where incredible for a first year player. Get him in the seniors ASAP. If he had nailed a few of his shots he would have been BOG by a mile. As it is I think he was even better than last week. He took some very strong marks on the wing, including an absolute screamer. Definitely watch it in the highlights.

Just a question as I haven't seen the kid play yet. How is his disposal by foot? Is the above misses an aberration or is he generally hit and miss, say like a Taylor Adams?

I hate to be difficult, but Armstrong basically walked out on Adelaide, so surely that doesn't count as a delisting :cool:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s-lose-armstrong/story-e6frecoc-1226144979141

TONY Armstrong is the third Crow to walk out on the club in two weeks.

In another body blow to Brenton Sanderson's new side, Armstrong has requested a trade to Sydney.

He joins other wantaway Crows, forward Jack Gunston and ruckman Ivan Maric, in quitting Adelaide.

Remarkably, Armstrong is seeking a trade just days after his manager, Peter Lenton, paid tribute to the club for saving his AFL career after he was last year found guilty of drink-driving.

"It's disappointing because we've put a lot of work into Tony," Crows list manager David Noble told The Advertiser last night.

"His management has indicated he wants to go to Sydney, so that's where we're at."

Soooooooooo, this is the thread discussing the VFL game, right?
How about De Goey's mark of the century?

If his highlights from the weekend are half as good we have like da best player eva on our hands !!1one!!

21 touches, 5 marks. Good result from Shazza when he most likely had reduced game play. Good to see both Shaz and Maynard using their biggest asset which is their kicking skills and have a huge % of their disposals by foot.

What's the go with Goodyear? Didn't play I assume?

I would love to see both De Goey and Kennedy play next week. But if they both have fitness issues, hard to see the club going in with both.

21 touches, 5 marks. Good result from Shazza when he most likely had reduced game play. Good to see both Shaz and Maynard using their biggest asset which is their kicking skills and have a huge % of their disposals by foot.

What's the go with Goodyear? Didn't play I assume?

I would love to see both De Goey and Kennedy play next week. But if they both have fitness issues, hard to see the club going in with both.
The Live Chat said he was just rested. Same as with Manteit the week before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back