Steven Motlop in our sights

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone thought that we are publicly ' into Motlop ' and will be into Hawkins to ensure Geelong pay top dollar and therefore reducing cash to throw at others ?
Since Hartley has arrived the players we have been into has never been public knowledge until they are basically upon our list, I see no reason why that would change . Especially with Dan richardson also being involved .
Smoke and mirrors !
I like the logic........

Danger is coming, bookmark it!:p;)

Actually don't want him for what he would cost us..... Would upset our pay structure imo unless we got him on a Sydney-type 7-9 (probs 800-950k minimum per year) year deal where salary cap increases offset the burden of his huge contract. Would rather get 2 medium fish (Motlop/Carlisle for example) at the same price. Improves our best 22 significantly.....

Dangerfield at a reasonable price (600-750k) is a different story but I would suspect it isn't possible....

I see it like Motlop will replace Morris in the Fowardline and we can send morris back to cover the small fowards

I would pay Dangerfield $800k for 5 years,And if that means losing 1 the other way so be it

Other teams can get their players to live with it and so should ours

I agree but I would liken Lennon to Stevie J not lids.
Exactly the same size build & Similar pace

Stevie Johnson 189cm 93kgs
Ben Lennon 190xm 80kgs (will biold to 87/88kgs)

Just need yo see if he can get his fitness and intelligence to a level that see's him become a good player or just another flog who thinks by getting drafted he is a superstar already

Actually don't want him for what he would cost us..... Would upset our pay structure imo unless we got him on a Sydney-type 7-9 (probs 800-950k minimum per year) year deal where salary cap increases offset the burden of his huge contract. Would rather get 2 medium fish (Motlop/Carlisle for example) at the same price. Improves our best 22 significantly.....

Dangerfield at a reasonable price (600-750k) is a different story but I would suspect it isn't possible....

You make a strong case to get Dangerfield.

Danger on 800K is worth more than Motlop and Carlisle.

Not only that when we are chasing better players in the future it will be harder to displace Motlop and Carlisle.

WOW, I forgot the most important thing, Danger is FA:eek:, F... get him:)... and the draft picks remaining,,, arrgghh:D:thumbsu::rainbow::rainbow:

Anyone thought that we are publicly ' into Motlop ' and will be into Hawkins to ensure Geelong pay top dollar and therefore reducing cash to throw at others ?
Since Hartley has arrived the players we have been into has never been public knowledge until they are basically upon our list, I see no reason why that would change . Especially with Dan richardson also being involved .
Smoke and mirrors !
so what you are saying is Motlop is a decoy whilst we work hard behind the scenes with Bennell & Matera. Nice :thumbsu:

I would pay Dangerfield $800k for 5 years,And if that means losing 1 the other way so be it

Other teams can get their players to live with it and so should ours

Adelaide easily match for that price. Unless a team coughs up 1m plus Dangerfield is going no where unless they're able to facilitate a trade. Geelong for example would either have to pay 1-1.2m or trade their first and player like Cockatoo or Motlop to obtain him in a sign and trade.

His flair has been massively reined in since being drafted. If you saw him play U18s as a HFF you'd agree I think.

Really don't understand comments like this as I know for a fact that the coaches and even the players literally stand around in awe of what some of their team mates such as Dusty are able to do on the training track so their obviously not being pulled aside and being told to stop. Sure they are made to learn and improve other components of the game such as having a defensive mindset but that is no different to what any other successful or non successful club is doing around the league. Which this only enhances their games and does nothing to their overall flair and ability to be damaging. Although the one thing we probably lack and has improved over the past month is looking out for our more damaging players through the use of shepherds and blocks, which can hurt a players ability to have an impact.

As for Lennon I think this perceived lack of flair since being drafted is more of a result of not being as involved to demonstrate it as often as we would like to see. Once he finds more consistency both throughout games and on a weekly basis then his natural skill set will be much more on show then at present.

Adelaide easily match for that price. Unless a team coughs up 1m plus Dangerfield is going no where unless they're able to facilitate a trade. Geelong for example would either have to pay 1-1.2m or trade their first and player like Cockatoo or Motlop to obtain him in a sign and trade.

Really don't understand comments like this as I know for a fact that the coaches and even the players literally stand around in awe of what some of their team mates such as Dusty are able to do on the training track so their obviously not being pulled aside and being told to stop. Sure they are made to learn and improve other components of the game such as having a defensive mindset but that is no different to what any other successful or non successful club is doing around the league. Which this only enhances their games and does nothing to their overall flair and ability to be damaging. Although the one thing we probably lack and has improved over the past month is looking out for our more damaging players through the use of shepherds and blocks, which can hurt a players ability to have an impact.

As for Lennon I think this perceived lack of flair since being drafted is more of a result of not being as involved to demonstrate it as often as we would like to see. Once he finds more consistency both throughout games and on a weekly basis then his natural skill set will be much more on show then at present.

You may have a point about Adelaide matching 800K.

I am not a firm believer in over paying for Danger so I wouldn't be fronting a million etc..

I can't see Danger going to Geelong due to premiership chances unless it was later on when they built for a while.

But just say Danger wanted to go to Geelong and wanted to release Motlop to free up Danger.

The only pick I would use for Motlop would be 40+. And if Geelong don't like it stuff them because if they let Motlop go to get Danger they won't mind.

It is all very well to get particular about draft picks but next year he is a FA. There is a good chance Geelong will not be challenging anyway so he won't be winning premierships at Geelong anyway and might want to move on regardless anyway and Geelong would get nothing for him in that scenario

I agree with everything that you've said but I don't think there is anything wrong with what I have posted. He was a classy and mercurial forward before being drafted. He's been forced (and rightly so) to work on his contested game and being involved in the play more. He isn't given the luxury of sitting in a pocket and waiting for an opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with everything that you've said but I don't think there is anything wrong with what I have posted. He was a classy and mercurial forward before being drafted. He's been forced (and rightly so) to work on his contested game and being involved in the play more. He isn't given the luxury of sitting in a pocket and waiting for an opportunity.
Sure but I wouldn't call that having your flair coached out of you. I loom at it as, having a really good baseline to work with which will 'compliment' your talent or flair.

Nothing wrong with our backline imo
We can forget about Motlop!!!

We need to fix up our back line and midfield as a priority!!!!

Signing Rance is a good start!!:thumbsu:
Nothing wrong with our backline imo, We need to upgrade players like Hunt,Morris and We need 2 gun midfielders
thats what Free Agency is for but we have to learn to 'PAY' Them to come

Nothing wrong with our backline imo

Nothing wrong with our backline imo, We need to upgrade players like Hunt,Morris and We need 2 gun midfielders
thats what Free Agency is for but we have to learn to 'PAY' Them to come

There is a lot wrong with our back line.

Only Grimes and Rance pass and Vastuin might make it.

Vlastuin I thought was okay but he doubled punched a ball he should have marked and got outmakred by Yeo at least once.

Hunt had a very poor game, and Houli was not solid either. Chaplin was poor and Batchelor outmuscled by Darling at times

In fact I think teams have worked us out.
They flood our forward line because thats our strength.Then they rebound into the space where our middle are and into our defense where we are weakest for mobility and match ups relatively speaking. If they don't score from a goal, our defence can turn it over or get blocked again through zoning in our forward 50m again. West Coast kicked a lot of soft goals from marks in space last night running it forward. You can see how West Coast go well in second halves from superior run compared to our midfield over compensating our vulnerable back line

Thats why we have more inside 50m and still lose. It is not due to the forwards but the poor half back line in particular and a number of our mids not being smart bringing the ball forward and getting too deep in defence lacking the run to carry it forward

Clearly looking at the zoning last night we needed to hit half forward a lot more and then go very deep or goal to break the flood but our mids and running backs couldn't adapt to the change up!!

On at least 2 occasions we kicked it to inside 50 to Cotch when guarded when we needed to shorten it up and possibly change direction

I noticed Will Schofield run it out of the West Coast back line, far faster than Chaplin. He is a FA end of 2016 and not a bad option with all the defenders the Eagles have. Not a bad target for later at value. He looks a clear better player than Chaplin and surely would not be on around 400K at the Eagles not that we should offer him that!

When you see Chaplin and Maric plodding around along with having Griff and TV as well as JR not hard to see how we struggle at times against teams with superior run and why McIntosh had an instant impact earlier in the year.

Kruezer is looking like a nice FA option atm to help a slowing Maric

Last edited:
Motlop/Bennell/Yarren, we need to snag one of these lads. All classy players. I really hope Geelong continue to pursue Dangerfield, I really do. To pay him his mill, someone has to go. I hope we are there with the hoover ;)

I see it like Motlop will replace Morris in the Fowardline and we can send morris back to cover the small fowards
Our backline has improved since that knucklehead has gone forward. Grimes is better on small players than Morris. Morris should be sitting with us. Useless.

Our backline is fine, we need more depth in the midfield and a decent small crumbing forward up front. Another Ruckman would be ideal.

I'd be chasing Motlop massively as that would give us that forward plus increase our midfield depth at the same time.

There is a lot wrong with our back line.

Only Grimes and Rance pass and Vastuin might make it.

Vlastuin I thought was okay but he doubled punched a ball he should have marked and got outmakred by Yeo at least once.

Hunt had a very poor game, and Houli was not solid either. Chaplin was poor and Batchelor outmuscled by Darling at times

In fact I think teams have worked us out.
They flood our forward line because thats our strength.Then they rebound into the space where our middle are and into our defense where we are weakest for mobility and match ups relatively speaking. If they don't score from a goal, our defence can turn it over or get blocked again through zoning in our forward 50m again. West Coast kicked a lot of soft goals from marks in space last night running it forward. You can see how West Coast go well in second halves from superior run compared to our midfield over compensating our vulnerable back line

Thats why we have more inside 50m and still lose. It is not due to the forwards but the poor half back line in particular and a number of our mids not being smart bringing the ball forward and getting too deep in defence lacking the run to carry it forward

Clearly looking at the zoning last night we needed to hit half forward a lot more and then go very deep or goal to break the flood but our mids and running backs couldn't adapt to the change up!!

On at least 2 occasions we kicked it to inside 50 to Cotch when guarded when we needed to shorten it up and possibly change direction

I noticed Will Schofield run it out of the West Coast back line, far faster than Chaplin. He is a FA end of 2016 and not a bad option with all the defenders the Eagles have. Not a bad target for later at value. He looks a clear better player than Chaplin and surely would not be on around 400K at the Eagles not that we should offer him that!

When you see Chaplin and Maric plodding around along with having Griff and TV as well as JR not hard to see how we struggle at times against teams with superior run and why McIntosh had an instant impact earlier in the year.

Kruezer is looking like a nice FA option atm to help a slowing Maric

Except for Freo, Coll, Port, Carl, Esse and Bris so far.....

Motlop/Bennell/Yarren, we need to snag one of these lads. All classy players. I really hope Geelong continue to pursue Dangerfield, I really do. To pay him his mill, someone has to go. I hope we are there with the hoover ;)

I would also add Prestia to that group also would be asking Blicavs manager if he would like to make his way down to punt road, even if its just to drive his dollars up so cats have to pay

Our midfield is good with potential to be better as is our backline...actually our backline is our strength.. Our main focus FIRST should be the forward line we lack a smart pacy player there and Motlop would be a great aquisition for us ...then we can worry about improving the midfield and backline..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back