VFL Sandringham v Casey 2pm Saturday @ TBBO

Remove this Banner Ad

Roberton was great for us last year, didn't get off to a quick start this year. Would have been happy for him to come back through the reserves for a week. Long term he should be an important player for us, his kicking is seriously underrated.

Putting Lee on Cameron was throwing him to the wolves, would like to see him play in a game where he can be the third tall that is able to zone off and use his intercept marking and great kicking skills (loved how he wasn't afraid of taking the risky option).
I would guess they are happy with his recovery watching other teams this year and our medicos seem to be taking a cautious approach with our guys so I would assume he is ready to go but if he is flat tomorrow half the forum will go into melt down.

Lee must be doing some things wrong we are playing Gilbert down back and Webster probably play a more defensive role. Personally would of dropped Lonie and played both Lee and Roberton

Last edited:
I dont totally agree. Lee also has a very under rated kick.

Besides that what are all the other area's that Roberton blitzes lee?
Lee has a very good kick but Roberton runs more with the ball before he kicks it, he is quicker to get his kicks off, he's faster running and quick off a step, he gets more of the ball and does more when there is a stoppage or the ball is contested in the defensive half and he tackles.
Roberton is a strange defender in that he has some of the qualities of a tall mid and they wanted to send him in this year like Gilbert if Roberton was better over head he would be AA but in all other areas he's very good

For anyone who actually cares about the football match.

VFL RESULTS - SENIORS
Sandringham 7.3 9.3 13.6 16.6(102)
Casey Scorpions 1.4 10.8 15.12 19.19(133)
Goals: Shenton 3 Dennis-Lane 3 Kreymborg 2 McCartin 2 Cook Minchington Longer White Curren Saunders
Disp: Lee 25 McKenzie 24 Wright 23 Curren 22 Cook 21

Poor as hell 2nd quarter let us down hard.
Looks like Curren knows his papers are stamped his numbers been down from last year. Its frustrating having sunday games if it was reversed and Eli and Murdoch could get back for the Sandy game they would of got us over the line 19.19 seems we had a lot of trouble getting it out of defense

Lee is a mid sized defender probably most like Dempster on our list. Dempster very strong overhead and can work well off the ground. lee similar. Roberson is a rebound back so they are not really comparable. Roberson poor to average overhead mark - lee excellent. Lee a stagnant defender suited to one on one. Roberson a run and gun type. I think we are stupid not to give him a go but what do I know. He earns his chance every week and someone obviously hates him at the club. I hope someone else gives him a go and he becomes a gun because Tom Lynch was treated similar and ended up having a worthy career despite the club not rating him. He's worked really hard on everything they asked so he should get a chance elsewhere. He'd be getting games at at least 3 other clubs on this years VFL form.

Looks like Curren knows his papers are stamped his numbers been down from last year. Its frustrating having sunday games if it was reversed and Eli and Murdoch could get back for the Sandy game they would of got us over the line 19.19 seems we had a lot of trouble getting it out of defense

He was very good last week but only had mid 20s possessions, he still looks a class above VFL usually.

Tommy Wigs said:
Anyone actually see the game? Good to see D Mac named second best for us and Whiter in the best again.
DMac and White were two positives to come out of the game. DMac seems to be building in confidence each week and his marking was a feature today. White's kicking is elite!

The previous two weeks, Tom Lee's disposals have been down but Sandy doubled the oppositions score so it looks like the defence didn't have that much to do. This week against strong opposition and in a six-goal loss Tommy has the most disposals for Sandy. Will be very interested to see his tackle count because obviously the ball was down there quite a lot.

Ma
For his size? He's listed at 194cm, slightly taller than Riewoldt. If Robbo's good "for his size" then what is Roo?
mate dont worry about robbo he is 194 and roo is 193, roo is one of the greatest marks of all time in his peak uncontested and contested unstoppable in both. That is in roos time football is.Roo used to be a big man, now hes not, so many players 200, roo still a great mark for his size evan though he hasnt been able to jump since start of 2011. Now pretty much every everything he gets is uncontested anyway enough of the great man 194 in this era is medium defender and roberton for that size is great overhead. If u do not agree then u have rocks in your head and are delusional, roberton
Will be a key part of
A premiership tilt

I
The previous two weeks, Tom Lee's disposals have been down but Sandy doubled the oppositions score so it looks like the defence didn't have that much to do. This week against strong opposition and in a six-goal loss Tommy has the most disposals for Sandy. Will be very interested to see his tackle count because obviously the ball was down there quite a lot.
Although his tackle count has an effect. it his pressure around the ball and his intensity, slow thoughts is not helping him

DMac and White were two positives to come out of the game. DMac seems to be building in confidence each week and his marking was a feature today. White's kicking is elite!

Agree Scoop ,

We got smashed in the middle in 2nd & 3rd quarters .
Melbourne appear to building their depth was impressed with Munro .

Thought Lee was a positive , attitude fantastic to fellow defenders.

Anyone actually see the game? Good to see D Mac named second best for us and Whiter in the best again.
Saw 3 quarters. Liked DMacs run and carry. Looked fast and nimble. Did lots of chasing.
Paddy's Halle Mary from the boundary with a right-angle bounce was a highlight.
Second quarter nearly put me to sleep.
White will be an absolute weapon. Would love to see him playing seniors next year.
Wrighty and Saunders combined for a barnstorming passage of play leading to a long goal against the wind.
Lee, Goddard and Coughlan kept getting crunched in packs.
Holmes was too predictable I thought. Billy struggled to have an impact but it wasn't easy for any of the talls. The ball either hung in the air or went sailing over the back.
They seemed to have bigger bodies today and were hungrier than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Scoop ,

We got smashed in the middle in 2nd & 3rd quarters .
Melbourne appear to building their depth was impressed with Munro .

Thought Lee was a positive , attitude fantastic to fellow defenders.
I guess Munro is the same kid that was with Sandy. Seem to have a few non listed in their best.

According to today's HUN, D-Mac had 24 disposals, 9 marks and 9 tackles, which are very encouraging numbers for him (especially the disposals, as we know he can tackle and mark). We could really, really, really do with him coming good, and the sooner the better, as he has some extremely desirable attributes.

How does White go with his defensive work? Is he a good tackler?
Saw a bit of him in the champs last year and have read a fair bit about him as well and he is meant to be really good defensively and has looked that way from what I've seen (always seems to get a fist in and has good closing speed if he doesn't happen to be with someone the whole way). The type who is really close-checking and who just hates to be beaten in a contest, so I get the feeling he is very similar in that regard to Jimmy Webster, but just a slightly taller version.

Am pretty excited about what he could bring to our backline in years to come. If our close-checking types can also have elite kicking that will be awesome.

Last edited:
Lee is a mid sized defender probably most like Dempster on our list. Dempster very strong overhead and can work well off the ground. lee similar. Roberson is a rebound back so they are not really comparable. Roberson poor to average overhead mark - lee excellent. Lee a stagnant defender suited to one on one. Roberson a run and gun type. I think we are stupid not to give him a go but what do I know. He earns his chance every week and someone obviously hates him at the club. I hope someone else gives him a go and he becomes a gun because Tom Lynch was treated similar and ended up having a worthy career despite the club not rating him. He's worked really hard on everything they asked so he should get a chance elsewhere. He'd be getting games at at least 3 other clubs on this years VFL form.
Cummon mate that's worse than Jack Stevens

You do love using the word hate. As if people at the club hate Lee. He obviously lacks things the coaches think are important. They aren't playing because they hate him, they aren't playing him because he doesn't do things the club require. My guess is run and get to many contests. By the way Tom Lynch didn't play anymore games in his first year at Adelaide than his last year at the saints so he was an instant success. The one thing I do think will happen though is if Lee is delisted, which he may not be, he wont play AFL footy again because he is a average player. Still that's not something to be sneezed at as I wish I was as average as him. By the way I don't hate Lee. I don't hate anyone.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-...im-for-your-club-in-this-weekends-second-tier

*Negative post warning*

Who writes this stuff - Lee BOG? I might have been confusing him with Goddard at times, but not all the time. Lee gave up a goal failing to clear in the 3rd quarter, was poor in general and if it was him, dropped a sitter chest mark in the last (in space by himself) which again cost a goal.

Wright similarly bad, shocking turnover in the 3rd straight to a defender and goal.

Thought Holmes looked OK, Shenton puts in, didn't see much of anyone else.

Fisher looked quite proppy on ground during the breaks, seemed to be getting mentored a bit by one of the coaches.

NB I only saw 2nd half.

No offense, but probably someone who saw the whole game and who wasn't confusing the different players, or at least who got their info from someone who did.

Lee for instance was named as our best in the paper as well.

No offence taken, but Lee must have had some first half to be named BOG, because he was a liability in the second half, as was Wright.
And I'm 90% sure it was him dropping that sitter in the last, not Goddard, that effectively iced the game.

No offence taken, but Lee must have had some first half to be named BOG, because he was a liability in the second half, as was Wright.
And I'm 90% sure it was him dropping that sitter in the last, not Goddard, that effectively iced the game.

:)

Cummon mate that's worse than Jack Stevens

******* autocorrect likes to change it every time. I usually go back and change it but can't be arsed usually. Membrey gets members so I have just renamed him- sounds like a nickname anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back