Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda supporters cracking the shits because they missed out.
When do they not crack the shits??!!!

I like the pink, it's kinda funky. Probs unnecessary because of the whole "girl" thing. Colours aren't supposed to be gender-specific but in any case it looks cool and if the Freo girls like it then that doesn't matter.

the jumper with the pink V looks awesome.

Not saying it looks bad. It does look good. It's more what it represents.

I know the colour pink has been empowered more of late in terms of its association with females. The pink ribbon campaign and other such things have put a more weight behind the colour, and a given it a certain maturity. But for me Pink means little girls, princesses and fairies and shouldn’t be marketed with women, especially for women’s footy. It’s limiting and sexist.

As the parent of a girl, I ******* hate pink. They could have chosen any other colour as it's just a point of distinction, rather than really being about gender. Other than that, this is pretty grouse.

Ok..I'm going to be "that guy"

How is this being financed?
The AFL is a non profit organisation that is formed to promote and run the sport in Australia. It will come from general revenue. There have already been sponsorships too. There is more than enough money to fund the thing. Football gets lots of public money too. Why should it be solely for the benefit of males to have playing football as a career choice?

As for the pink it's a clever marketing ploy. The young girls will want the jumper with the pink in it. Mum's will be happier buying the "girls" one too. Capture them young and they become a supporter for life.

That stripe of pink looks amazing with the deep purple. Good colour combination. yes it's a sexist colour, but they haven't lost the Freo brand or put ribbons and flowers. Still looks powerful with the chevrons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying it looks bad. It does look good. It's more what it represents.

I know the colour pink has been empowered more of late in terms of its association with females. The pink ribbon campaign and other such things have put a more weight behind the colour, and a given it a certain maturity. But for me Pink means little girls, princesses and fairies and shouldn’t be marketed with women, especially for women’s footy. It’s limiting and sexist.

That sounds like more of a you problem.

Women's round & the few points you made celebrate women by using the colour pink. Having that pink chevron on the jumper certainly isn't sexist and I certainly didn't think that when I looked at it.

That sounds like more of a you problem.

Women's round & the few points you made celebrate women by using the colour pink. Having that pink chevron on the jumper certainly isn't sexist and I certainly didn't think that when I looked at it.

I'm not going to go full feminist on you but it’s about how women are seen socially and freeing them for those cliché concepts and ideas that they're associated with.

As for the pink it's a clever marketing ploy. The young girls will want the jumper with the pink in it. Mum's will be happier buying the "girls" one too. Capture them young and they become a supporter for life.

My (hawks supporting) wife still has her Hawks jumper/cap with Buddy's number on it. I might end up with a jumper with my favourite (freo) female players number on it. It's a nice design, to me it's unisex - but then I don't give a fig about the whole blue/pink boy/girl thing.

The AFL is a non profit organisation that is formed to promote and run the sport in Australia. It will come from general revenue. There have already been sponsorships too. There is more than enough money to fund the thing. Football gets lots of public money too. Why should it be solely for the benefit of males to have playing football as a career choice?

That's fine, however the men's game finances the whole shebang...and I acknowledge that a start must be made somewhere before a women's comp can be viable.
We have clubs that are not financial already, and indeed Fremantle makes a profit of only 200-500k most years.
How's the club financing this team? Apparently, there will be shared facilities etc but you would assume that extra staff will be needed.
Where is Fremantle getting the money for this beyond the 1 million start up fund the AFL is giving?

IIRC the AFL actually reported a loss last year?
I don't think asking how a league is going to be financed and the effect on an already existing competition is outlandish commentary.

That's fine, however the men's game finances the whole shebang...and I acknowledge that a start must be made somewhere before a women's comp can be viable.
We have clubs that are not financial already, and indeed Fremantle makes a profit of only 200-500k most years.
How's the club financing this team? Apparently, there will be shared facilities etc but you would assume that extra staff will be needed.
Where is Fremantle getting the money for this beyond the 1 million start up fund the AFL is giving?

IIRC the AFL actually reported a loss last year?
I don't think asking how a league is going to be financed and the effect on an already existing competition is outlandish commentary.
Looking at it from the other perspective, wouldn't you think they are looking at this as a way to make more money not cost more money? Otherwise why would they be doing it? We are excluding 50% of the population with a male only competition. Women's football is the fastest growing sport in Australia atm, surely that's a sign it can be a money spinner if set up correctly.

Freo's proposal was good. No wonder we got it ahead of West Coast.

"Fremantle lodged a "compelling and unique" case, proposing that Curtin University and the City of Cockburn would be the club's major partners. The Dockers said players could be offered either a job with the club or education and scholarship opportunities via Curtin."

New facilities, education and employment opportunities. The future looks bright for young girls.

With the new stadium, we have more seats. If the womens team helps to bring the membership numbers up another 10k, plus additional and new merchandise, it's a decent start. Throw in some sponsorships on top.

Also, the salaries were around 20k per player - infinitely more modest than the male team cap. Presumably, the big dollars are there for a long time in the mens league, which will mean lesser - and therefore cheaper talent for coaching, medical staff etc. They won't be paying 1 million a year for a head coach etc.

Running the 2 teams out of the new facilities will also mean some bulk savings/leveraging as opposed to the costs of one team using the infrastructure. If it attracts a lot more women (e.g. footy and other sports) to the community component of the new facilities, presumably that will make Cockburn better financially for us.

I'm sure the bean counters have been busily counting the beans on this.

Looking at it from the other perspective, wouldn't you think they are looking at this as a way to make more money not cost more money? Otherwise why would they be doing it? We are excluding 50% of the population with a male only competition. Women's football is the fastest growing sport in Australia atm, surely that's a sign it can be a money spinner if set up correctly.

You would hope so, however, half the men's clubs are loss makers....

You would hope so, however, half the men's clubs are loss makers....
Yeah true. But if they weren't struggling then those Victorian powerhouse clubs would never be able to beat anyone ;) I'm certainly a lot more positive about the women's league bringing in more than they are costing over the two franchise clubs. I can't believe GWS got a women's team. Surely it would be smarter if they waited until their men's team was financially viable first?

I think GWS will be a success with this women combo team. Smart marketing .

I can't believe GWS got a women's team. Surely it would be smarter if they waited until their men's team was financially viable first?
Womens football is a big growth area in Western Sydney. The Giants have been much more active in promoting female football than the Swans as they see women as a huge untapped supported base. They also have the partnership with the UNSW through the NEAFL team.

And Sydney dropped out and didn't bid.

Womens football is a big growth area in Western Sydney. The Giants have been much more active in promoting female football than the Swans as they see women as a huge untapped supported base. They also have the partnership with the UNSW through the NEAFL team.

And Sydney dropped out and didn't bid.
Yeah fair enough. So long as all the clubs are given equal support this time around it will hopefully play out fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back