Preview Round 14 vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

Seed out injured, and

Wait for it

Henderson in.
We have played three wingmen/outside mids all season.
In most games it has been The Seed, The Rat and Bran Nue Mackae. When BNM was injured we moved Hendo to the wing. If we lose any of the Three rotating outside mids it is very believable that Hendo will return.

My preference would be to move CC to the wing and bring in Milera or Menzel but I don't have a vote at match committee.

It's only after reading this thread that I realise how many genuinely devastating games we've had against you lot. The 98 GF, the Carey game, the Petrenko goal and round 1 last year are some of the darkest chapters in our recent history and they've all come against the one side.

If it is a really wet slog who are your inside mids that will do the most damage? Obviously Sloane is a star (just about my favourite non-North player in the league atm) and Thompson is a contested beast (how's his form been?) but who do you guys have beyond that? Are both Crouch's likely to play if its wet? Ostensibly you seem to have a stronger outside game than inside but is that actually the case?

Matt Crouch and Lyons both are very good clearance players as well. Crouch especially has been racking up impressive numbers considering his time on ground. Lyons doesn't get a huge amount of possessions but is quite damaging when he does get it and instincitvely knows where the goals are. Those two can also play a little bit on the outside (Lyons more so).

Sloane is the main one who has that pretty even balance between inside and outside play.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...-through-cold-snap-with-possible-snow/7531694

Will be almost the worst possible conditions tomorrow: wet AND windy. Possible snow at Mount Lofty in the meantime. Have to make sure I wear my old sneakers rather than decent shoes.

I'm not sure if Thursday night football will attract a decent crowd in conditions like that. I think Thursday nights work better in the early or late season with lower chance of rain - just because it's a bye round, that doesn't mean you have to play footy on Thursday. And with the new TV deal this will happen in half of all rounds! Novelty's wearing off.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...-through-cold-snap-with-possible-snow/7531694

Will be almost the worst possible conditions tomorrow: wet AND windy. Possible snow at Mount Lofty in the meantime. Have to make sure I wear my old sneakers rather than decent shoes.

I'm not sure if Thursday night football will attract a decent crowd in conditions like that. I think Thursday nights work better in the early or late season with lower chance of rain - just because it's a bye round, that doesn't mean you have to play footy on Thursday. And with the new TV deal this will happen in half of all rounds! Novelty's wearing off.
been a while since theres been snow on mt lofty isn't it?

Friday is only going to be 11 in Melb - snow down to 500-600m

Hoping for a win, but North were very impressive and unlucky last week against Hawthorn. They really should've won that. I noted we'd been doing a lot of harder / tackling focussed training this week - we'll need this in bucketloads to beat them even at home. Given the abominable forecast I'm going to pick us by 11 points in a nail-biter.

We have played three wingmen/outside mids all season.
In most games it has been The Seed, The Rat and Bran Nue Mackae. When BNM was injured we moved Hendo to the wing. If we lose any of the Three rotating outside mids it is very believable that Hendo will return.

My preference would be to move CC to the wing and bring in Milera or Menzel but I don't have a vote at match committee.
More likely to be Milera or Brad Crouch, given the team selections 2 weeks ago (against West Coast). Milera was the travelling emergency and Brad Crouch was on standby to fly west on the Saturday if needed. They were content to play Henderson in the SANFL, with no AFL commitments pending. It was fairly clear that Hendo was the 3rd of the three emergency players listed, and I doubt that anything would have changed since then.

Hoping for a win, but North were very impressive and unlucky last week against Hawthorn. They really should've won that. I noted we'd been doing a lot of harder / tackling focussed training this week - we'll need this in bucketloads to beat them even at home. Given the abominable forecast I'm going to pick us by 11 points in a nail-biter.
My worry is that the conditions make this a much more even game than I would have anticipated. I thought at home we would be likely mid 20 point winners, but now it could simply come down to luck winning it for either team.

I can see it now - that diving campaigner Thomas backing into a faux head high tackle and getting a free 10M out scores level with 2 seconds to go. Damn you weather!:mad:....wait, that can't happen. Thomas gets umpired differently and isn't paid the high tackles. Phew, I'm so glad that's what actually happens.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back