The numpty questions thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not clear to me how the process works for un-contracted players winding up in either the PSD or the national draft. Is it up to the player which draft they enter? If not, which factors determine the draft they go into?

It's not clear to me how the process works for un-contracted players winding up in either the PSD or the national draft. Is it up to the player which draft they enter? If not, which factors determine the draft they go into?

They can choose which one they nominate for. My understanding is the main difference is in the national draft while you can name your financial terms you can only be signed to a 2 year contract. However in the PSD you can both name the terms and the length? dlanod would that be the main difference?

They can choose which one they nominate for. My understanding is the main difference is in the national draft while you can name your financial terms you can only be signed to a 2 year contract. However in the PSD you can both name the terms and the length? dlanod would that be the main difference?

I think it's minimum of two years but can be longer for the ND?

TBH I wasn't aware there was a difference until earlier this year as I recall them basically making it the same. It's only since speculation about one year deals (Dangerfield, Aish) that people looked up the rules and confirmed it looks like ND means you can't specify terms and a one year deal.

If you block a poster, will you still be able to see threads that were instigated by them?

I'm getting a little tired of reading one liners from a certain poster who it appears is intentionally just trying to inflate their post count.

#Qualityoverquantity

My understanding is that it blocks threads they started too ... someone else on here mentioned that they had the same problem a while back. A pretty stupid limitation, I think.

If you block a poster, will you still be able to see threads that were instigated by them?

I'm getting a little tired of reading one liners from a certain poster who it appears is intentionally just trying to inflate their post count.

#Qualityoverquantity
It's okay, I hardly ever start a thread.;)

That's why I do roster thread updates.
He's only done 10 posts other than Roster Watch work. The other 5,454 have just been one line updates with URLs.

I'm sure the published game times are supposed to be the time of first bounce, so how is it that tonight, the game is a 7:20 match and free to air coverage starts at 7:30 and is listed as "Live".
Time will tell, I suppose whether the broadcast is delayed or just misses the first 10 minutes. A third option is that the time given is actually wrong and the start time is pushed back to suit the coverage. Piss poor if either of the first 2, given it should be a channel 7 game.

I'm sure the published game times are supposed to be the time of first bounce, so how is it that tonight, the game is a 7:20 match and free to air coverage starts at 7:30 and is listed as "Live".
Time will tell, I suppose whether the broadcast is delayed or just misses the first 10 minutes. A third option is that the time given is actually wrong and the start time is pushed back to suit the coverage. Piss poor if either of the first 2, given it should be a channel 7 game.

I think I read somewhere a while ago that as long as the broadcast is on at the same time as the game, it's technically able to be called 'live' even if the broadcast is slightly delayed.

However, I think in this case it's probably an error in the listing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I read somewhere a while ago that as long as the broadcast is on at the same time as the game, it's technically able to be called 'live' even if the broadcast is slightly delayed.

However, I think in this case it's probably an error in the listing?

Um :$ Don't mind me :straining:, just realised it's an Adelaide game. 7:20 = 7:50 :oops::drunk:

This seems like the right thread. Looking for footy parenting advice tbh.

My son played footy from Under 8s right through to Under 11s but has taken a break for the last two years. He got pretty unfit for a while there (and was never the paragon of fitness) but high school and his natural growth spurt has taken a lot of that away. He's been playing a truncated version of the game for inter school sport and has been enjoying his footy again. He is talking about going back to club footy next season and tbh I'm a little nervous for him.

My perception is he is unfit (or not very fit) and he can be lazy off the ball. But he is also a lump of a kid who has pretty good upper body strength and was shaping up as a decent CHB under his old coach. His kicking and marking has improved a lot, he has to wear contacts on the field (he has an astigmatism) and is ambidextrous (right handed, left footed) which is both a blessing and a curse.

What challenges is he going to face and be prepared for skipping under 12s (essentially) for two years and coming back to Under 14s? I don't want to discourage him, but I also don't want him to register and back out like he did the year I signed up for the committee :rolleyes:. Any other advice on smoothing his path?

My son played footy from Under 8s right through to Under 11s but has taken a break for the last two years. He got pretty unfit for a while there (and was never the paragon of fitness) but high school and his natural growth spurt has taken a lot of that away. He's been playing a truncated version of the game for inter school sport and has been enjoying his footy again. He is talking about going back to club footy next season and tbh I'm a little nervous for him.

My perception is he is unfit (or not very fit) and he can be lazy off the ball. But he is also a lump of a kid who has pretty good upper body strength and was shaping up as a decent CHB under his old coach. His kicking and marking has improved a lot, he has to wear contacts on the field (he has an astigmatism) and is ambidextrous (right handed, left footed) which is both a blessing and a curse.

What challenges is he going to face and be prepared for skipping under 12s (essentially) for two years and coming back to Under 14s? I don't want to discourage him, but I also don't want him to register and back out like he did the year I signed up for the committee :rolleyes:. Any other advice on smoothing his path?
your location- near the gabba? just pick a good club via word of mouth would be my idea, my grand sons play for the yeronga devils JAFC (not far from the gabba) and they seem like a very well run and fun club to be involved in and a bonus is their skill levels have improved this year which is their first year there following on from a few seasons at another club.

besides that i would follow LicoriceAllsorts advice.

your location- near the gabba? just pick a good club via word of mouth would be my idea, my grand sons play for the yeronga devils JAFC (not far from the gabba) and they seem like a very well run and fun club to be involved in and a bonus is their skill levels have improved this year which is their first year there following on from a few seasons at another club.

besides that i would follow LicoriceAllsorts advice.
Oh he'll go back to Coorparoo for sure. Yeah, I'm probably over thinking it. Do tend to worry a bit.

Honestly mate at his age just get him into a good system and he'll develop. Don't worry about the off the ball stuff yet, that is all down the track with development coaching etc. At the moment the best thing you can do is get him to learn how to train and the basic demands of playing footy - going to training, skills work and most of all enjoying his footy. Once he gets a bit more used to it he will be able to train to play and eventually compete and really play to win. In terms of fitness, I wouldn't be super concerned just yet but maybe have him ease back into running long distances and focus on his training load - don't have him playing 2-3+ sports at a time and training 5+ times per week or you run the risk of overtraining, especially if this is over the course of a few years. Enjoyment, skill work and adaptation are the name of the game at this point.

Btw I didn't mean this to sound so know-it-all'ish, I have just had a heavy development focus in the 14-18 year age bracket whilst doing my sports science degree. All the best.

Honestly mate at his age just get him into a good system and he'll develop. Don't worry about the off the ball stuff yet, that is all down the track with development coaching etc. At the moment the best thing you can do is get him to learn how to train and the basic demands of playing footy - going to training, skills work and most of all enjoying his footy. Once he gets a bit more used to it he will be able to train to play and eventually compete and really play to win. In terms of fitness, I wouldn't be super concerned just yet but maybe have him ease back into running long distances and focus on his training load - don't have him playing 2-3+ sports at a time and training 5+ times per week or you run the risk of overtraining, especially if this is over the course of a few years. Enjoyment, skill work and adaptation are the name of the game at this point.

Btw I didn't mean this to sound so know-it-all'ish, I have just had a heavy development focus in the 14-18 year age bracket whilst doing my sports science degree. All the best.

Sounds like good advice

I don't have any advice as I've never been a football parent, or even a parent, but I think it's great you're giving a lot of thought to your son's experience. It might only be U14's, but there are kids of all abilities and sizes at that level, and this can be confronting for a young person who is perhaps not amongst the top players on the team. I hope he enjoys it, gets into some good fitness habits, and continues to love the game.

Thanks all for the responses. I appreciate them all. I'm probably over thinking this all and I should just trust the pretty good system they have down at Coorparoo. He'll never be a superstar but I just want him to enjoy footy again. Although if he forgets his mouthguard half way to the game that is 45 minutes away again ... :mad::mad:

Have any players ever traded between West Coast and Fremantle or Adelaide and Port Adelaide? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back