Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the Nth 4

Petrie is not performing and should retire
Firrito plays back , and IMO we dont need
Harvey is obviously too old
Dal Santo maybe has a couple of years left. he is resilient injury wise and is playing very good footy. Could he help out in the midfield for a few years while we get our youngsters developed. It would allow Gibbs , Murph cripps some relief and would allow cuningham, Boekhorst and any new midfield draftees, to get a taste of what its like to play in an A grade midfield. For the sake of development I think we should entertain the idea

TBH I wouldnt be against Dal Santo as a DFA on a 1 year contract on the realisation he may play a fair bit of VFL.

Re the Nth 4

Petrie is not performing and should retire
Firrito plays back , and IMO we dont need
Harvey is obviously too old
Dal Santo maybe has a couple of years left. he is resilient injury wise and is playing very good footy. Could he help out in the midfield for a few years while we get our youngsters developed. It would allow Gibbs , Murph cripps some relief and would allow cuningham, Boekhorst and any new midfield draftees, to get a taste of what its like to play in an A grade midfield. For the sake of development I think we should entertain the idea

Dal Santo hasnt played well at all this year

We are not in a position to be bringing in anyone aged 30+ at this early stage of our rebuild cycle. If anything, we are trying to actively lower our average age and bring in more players aged 20-24 (which we have a huge hole in due to a few poor draft years). This is why we did the GWS deal last year and it's why we will try to do similar again.

I'm 99% sure Harvey, Petrie, Dal Santo won't even be considered.

Whilst we are officially rebuilding, I mean re-setting, and it implies chasing youth, I have no problem picking up a couple of old guys that want to play on.

The trick is not to trade for them, but pick them up as UFA or DFA.

I think guys like Stevie J (technically a trade, but not really) and Daniel Cross were very handy for their new clubs.

And our side is not yet competitive enough across the board that we have to worry about taking up spots of talented kids.

Someone LIKE a Petrie (but prob not him) could be great for our forward line if we need to ease in kids like H Mac.
mmm...see your point. But 'wanting' to play on is one thing but having the capacity to add value is another. In that context, as a minimum, Petrie for example is a no. It would be Mick Martyn MK 2.

I'd expect Tomlinson too, and Marchbank will have his choice. But i'd personally love to come into a back line with Weits, Plowman and the two AA half back flankers. Would take the pressure off me as a young kid.

Then Stewart gets thrown in as the salary cap deal.

So we just have to woo Marchbank, he's the domino.
Stewart's not contracted so they will not be cutting any deals. The best we can hope for is that they nominate us and refuse to talk to anyone else. The problem with that is if a club like the Dogs come knocking then they would be hard to refuse.

Stewart's not contracted so they will not be cutting any deals. The best we can hope for is that they nominate us and refuse to talk to anyone else. The problem with that is if a club like the Dogs come knocking then they would be hard to refuse.

But would they leave a club that they are getting limited opportunity for another the same? They clearly aren't chasing success in the short term if they are considering leaving GWS. So it depends on motives.. $$ or opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not in a position to be bringing in anyone aged 30+ at this early stage of our rebuild cycle. If anything, we are trying to actively lower our average age and bring in more players aged 20-24 (which we have a huge hole in due to a few poor draft years). This is why we did the GWS deal last year and it's why we will try to do similar again.

I'm 99% sure Harvey, Petrie, Dal Santo won't even be considered.

We are in exactly the right position to be bringing in a 30+, experienced player if they fill a need and will be a good fit (culturally) with the club and team.

On the proviso that they're coming for free via Free Agency, and on a minimal salary.

Someone like Dal Santo or Petrie would have a wealth of experience to offer, and if the alternative is to take a kid at pick 80+, I'd rather a quality senior mentor who can play 10-15 games if required. They fill a list spot, and aid in developing our kids, as opposed to just recruiting a kid we don't want and delisting him two years later.

No to Boomer and Firrito - both compete pricks and don't want them anywhere near our club.

We are in exactly the right position to be bringing in a 30+, experienced player if they fill a need and will be a good fit (culturally) with the club and team.

On the proviso that they're coming for free via Free Agency, and on a minimal salary.

Someone like Dal Santo or Petrie would have a wealth of experience to offer, and if the alternative is to take a kid at pick 80+, I'd rather a quality senior mentor who can play 10-15 games if required. They fill a list spot, and aid in developing our kids, as opposed to just recruiting a kid we don't want and delisting him two years later.

No to Boomer and Firrito - both compete pricks and don't want them anywhere near our club.

That kid may turn out to be a 10+ year player! I'd take my chances with the kid every day of the week over bringing in a guy who's 30+. If we want Petrie, we bring him in as a development coach.

That kid may turn out to be a 10+ year player! I'd take my chances with the kid every day of the week over bringing in a guy who's 30+. If we want Petrie, we bring him in as a development coach.

Mate, we can't find a player outside the second round, what makes you think we'll unearth a gun with Pick 80?

An experienced, senior player who is prepared to play a role on a modest wage would do wonders for our team. It's what we love Kreuzer for - the bloke doesn't ask for the world, and rocks up week in week out doing whatever is required of him (within his physical limitations).

We don't have a quality, experienced forward for guys like H-Mac, Charlie and SOS to learn alongside. Coaching is one thing, but playing alongside the guy is something else.

Quarter time on Sunday, Gibbs approached Cuningham as they were walking to the huddle and was visibly giving the kid some feedback on a passage of play from a minute or so earlier. Handy help to have for a young mid in his second ever game of AFL footy. Do you want our young forwards getting tips from Casboult and Jones?

Hearing Ben Lennon is likely part of the expected Richmond exodus..Would still be interested, but would only give up a 3rd rounder and steak knives..

Surprised we haven't seen or heard about him since he was drafted - was rated fairly highly from memory, yeah?

He might be tough to shift if North have promised him senior opportunities now that Petrie and Firrito are done.
North have given up trying to use him as a defender, so they're grooming him to replace Petrie I guess, but they've got Brown, Waite, Wood, Daw, McKay and Black.

They'll discard some other talls this year, but he'll be lucky to be in the 22 in the next two seasons, at which point his development would have stalled.

So this is what Ive read over the past week or so..
Touhy will be traded
Everitt will be traded
3 year offer put to Melbourne reserves player
Kreuzer off to GWS
Melbourne reserves player signs 2 year contract with Melbourne
Prestia wants Blues but can get more at Tigers
Touhy will sign on
Billy Longer made offer
Kreuzer to the Dogs
SOS hates Boekhurst
OMeara to the Blues
"Insider" says Kruez gone
Everitt still will be traded
Tomlinson to the Pies
Billy Longer still contracted to Saints
Casboult not in SOS's plans
Boakhurst signs 1 year extension
Kruezer wants to stay but will leave for the betterment of Carlton
Casboult has a 2 year offer in front of him
Mitchell to the Blues
"Insider" says Kreuzer stays
Everitt still to be traded
Tomlinson to the Blues
Boekhorst to be traded regardless of contract extension

I love this time of the season :D
Are you saying "Everitt to be traded"

Do you want to have another think about that ??

We are not recruiting veteran discards from other clubs, we used to do that and it near killed us off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back