Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

They're not playing it down, they're just telling the truth in response to the inevitable curiosity that results thanks to a wave of Islamist attacks, based on what this idiot said. Its fools like you on social media (and of course, Pauline Hanson) that are trying to ascribe some kind of motivation to this crime that from the looks of it, doesnt exist.

You're now insinuating some kind of nefarious leftist agenda to the QLD Police.

Unreal.

Commissioner made an inaccurate statement to avoid inciting panic. SRP.

Look at it from another angle. Would Koch have been justified in claiming on Saturday night that the banana throw had nothing to do with racism?

Go for it. Not even the usual far right leaning SRP crowd have had the audacity to attribute some kind of Islamic motive or justification behind this attack. If you wanna be the one to do so, go right ahead.

I understand your frustration at all these arguments being turned into mincemeat, and the need to twist the things I've posted in order to save face. Peace.

Well the commissioner said it had nothing to do with religion. Even if the perp turns out to be an insane Buddhist, that statement is patently wrong.
What do you mean? So as long as a criminal has a religion, his crimes have religious connections?

Ah no, there is a certain skill required to unify while speaking hard truths. Something Mr Goods doesn't appear to possess.

I value Adam Goodes and his contribution I do not value yours.

Again - those who comment not on the racist act but on the person who it is directed totally miss the point and try and make themselves superior.

Last edited:
Go for it. Not even the usual far right leaning SRP crowd have had the audacity to attribute some kind of Islamic motive or justification behind this attack. If you wanna be the one to do so, go right ahead.

Let's not bring up Islamophobia. There is already enough racism against the first Australians here to last a lifetime.

There is already enough racism against the first Australians here to last a lifetime.
"I am not racist but...."
"I know this Aboriginal bloke and he said...."
"We only booed Goodes because he is divisive"
"Yeah but Aboriginals get more than white people off the government"
Sometimes its like living in a 1950's time-warp :(!!!

1. It's term has different meanings dependent on its context. When used with someone I like, it means good friend. With a stranger it means potential friend. With someone who is being passive aggressive and starts with mate when he is contradicting you it means "I am patronising you". But you should know that.
2. You are lying. I explained how Ron The Bear misrepresented Adam Goodes a few posts earlier and he had no answer to the explanation except to call me an angry Leftie.
The calling the whole country racist thing is another exaggeration as well. Funny how racists don't like to be called racists. It hurts their feelings.
3. Goodes' retirement was sad, because of the manner in which he left, not the timing.

In my experience its the non-racists that hate being called racist more.

That's part of the reason Goodes is disliked by more than just the racists.

Malcom X (in his first incarnation with the Nation of Islam) was an borderline Islamic extremist and Black nationalist (the Black version of the KKK) who advocated violence and thought the white man was the Devil.

He recanted those positions (and left the Nation of Islam) after a pilgrimage to Mecca.

Im fairly confident you have no idea what youre talking about here.

Yes but did Malcolm X contribute to a better society in the long run? Even with his extremist ways.

Did Adam?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my experience its the non-racists that hate being called racist more.

That's part of the reason Goodes is disliked by more than just the racists.

Yeah, nah. In that case why do they often start with "I'm not racist, but..."?

If you get past the misreporting and selective quoting, there isn't much to hate about the man. He got away with a few knee slides before it was outlawed, but apart from that he was a powerful, versatile player.

Unless you think that the history of aboriginal oppression has no bearing on today and should be swept under the carpet, and that the inequity between indigenous and non indigenous Australians isn't important, I can't see that Goodes said anything wrong - unless you only read the selective misrepresentations from the Murdoch press.

When the crowd booing happened, I can understand that some spectators just did it to put him off his game. Just like Dermott Brereton used to call Chris Lewis racist slurs (and regrets it). It was a form of collective bullying. And it ended up being indistinguishable from racism. If you don't like being called Racist, don't ally yourself with racists, because nobody (racists or not) can tell the difference.

The one thing I can't quite fathom in all of this is the idea that thousands upon thousands of people loudly expressing their hatred for a single person week after week FOR YEARS is ok because "it's not really racism" or "only some of us were racists".

FFS the problem with racism is the irrational and unrelenting hatred that it describes.

The booing of Goodes wasn't just for a short period in response to various indiscretions. It went on and on, every possession, match after match, year after year.

10s of thousands of people spitting their venom at one man. Not an act. A person.

With the pathetic, childish justifications. "I didn't like the way he staged" 5 ****ing years ago. "I didn't like the way he slid". Twice. Years ago. "I didn't like his divisive AOTY speech". Read it. It wasn't divisive. And grow the **** up whilst you're at it.

Even if the booing wasn't racist, and it was, it was still mob hate directed at a single man whose "crimes" didn't go close to justifying such hate and was merely going about his craft and his life the best way he knew how.

So if you were one of those booing, and want to deny you were being racist, well fine. Just know this. You were the person in the crowd who participated in mob hate. Who had neither the intellect nor the moral fibre to go a different way. History is littered with examples of mob hate. You're one of those.

So if you were one of those booing, and want to deny you were being racist, well fine. Just know this. You were the person in the crowd who participated in mob hate. Who had neither the intellect nor the moral fibre to go a different way. History is littered with examples of mob hate. You're one of those.
man-refuses-to-salute.jpg

The one thing I can't quite fathom in all of this is the idea that thousands upon thousands of people loudly expressing their hatred for a single person week after week FOR YEARS is ok because "it's not really racism" or "only some of us were racists".

FFS the problem with racism is the irrational and unrelenting hatred that it describes.

The booing of Goodes wasn't just for a short period in response to various indiscretions. It went on and on, every possession, match after match, year after year.

10s of thousands of people spitting their venom at one man. Not an act. A person.

With the pathetic, childish justifications. "I didn't like the way he staged" 5 ******* years ago. "I didn't like the way he slid". Twice. Years ago. "I didn't like his divisive AOTY speech". Read it. It wasn't divisive. And grow the **** up whilst you're at it.

Even if the booing wasn't racist, and it was, it was still mob hate directed at a single man whose "crimes" didn't go close to justifying such hate and was merely going about his craft and his life the best way he knew how.

Thank you comrade.

Its disappointing that in a thread about a indigenous star who has been vilified, no one has taken the time to acknowledge the indigenous people as the rightful owners of this land. Just shows you how systemic racism is in Australia and far we have to go as a nation.

I disagree with this, yes the government is well overdue in acknowledging that the indigenous people were here first but ownership is a whole different beast. No race, tribe or person owns any country and all its land and the sooner the indigenous and non indigenous people get this through their heads the better.
Take Australia Day for instance, why can't the indigenous elders put forward a date that all of us together can have a national day? If 26th of January is offensive then what is the date that is not?
If our country is a million years old then let's celebrate we are a million years old. It seems it is only the indigenous people who care what date it is so let them set the date.
And what would it take for the indigenous people to finally be at ease with everything, I am not sure there is anything that will appease them a government could do.
We are all in this world together and I think a vast majority simply are fed up with all of this. It is slowly changing but dick heads are everywhere and we will forever have people with racial tendencies. It is sad how stupid some people are still.
I am not privy to the communications between our indigenous elders and our politicians but it is high time they find a way together to put some obviously strong issues to rest and moved forward together. History can't be forgotten, it also can't be changed but there just has to be a way to work together moving forward.

With the pathetic, childish justifications. "I didn't like the way he staged" 5 ******* years ago. "I didn't like the way he slid". Twice. Years ago. "I didn't like his divisive AOTY speech". Read it. It wasn't divisive. And grow the **** up whilst you're at it.

But I hated him before it was trendy to do so....

Yeah, nah. In that case why do they often start with "I'm not racist, but..."?

If you get past the misreporting and selective quoting, there isn't much to hate about the man. He got away with a few knee slides before it was outlawed, but apart from that he was a powerful, versatile player.

Unless you think that the history of aboriginal oppression has no bearing on today and should be swept under the carpet, and that the inequity between indigenous and non indigenous Australians isn't important, I can't see that Goodes said anything wrong - unless you only read the selective misrepresentations from the Murdoch press.

When the crowd booing happened, I can understand that some spectators just did it to put him off his game. Just like Dermott Brereton used to call Chris Lewis racist slurs (and regrets it). It was a form of collective bullying. And it ended up being indistinguishable from racism. If you don't like being called Racist, don't ally yourself with racists, because nobody (racists or not) can tell the difference.

Powerful versatile player that used knees, elbows, slid in with his feet, squirrel gripped an opponent and got away with it and attempted to incite the crowd with a 'war dance' that they had no chance to reply to. Can you imagine the all blacks doing the haka to the crowd?

So what did Ryan Crowley do wrong? Why did he get booed by every opposing team?

Now you're trying to say I think the history should be swept under the rug, because I didn't like the behaviour of one particular person of that race.
Have a listen to yourself and wonder why people that arent racist are annoyed at being called racist, which is pretty much what you just did to me.

FWIW I didnt boo Goodes because I didnt want to be associated with some of the crowd that were doing it for the wrong reasons. Didn't stop you essentially calling me a racist in this post.

I'll say again, people that arent racists hate being called racists more than people who are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back