Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at pat mckennas stats it looks like he plays in the backline. He will just be a fill in player for the VFL playing at fullback. GWS has him as a forward but he has been sitting in the back half lately.

Great! Now somebody thinks we need to go for John Butcher after he was delisted by Port Adelaide.

WHY US?! He would only ever live up to his name.
I saw that on twitter... some person is running a poll with the yes vote winning...

I just googled "O'Meara to Carlton". Hoping I'd see an article or a rumour or any information about a possible deal...

Guess what I found out?

It's 11 hours 11 minutes by car and 1073.5 km via M31 and National Highway, from O'Meara to Carlton.

True story!

I think if they could end up having 5 top ten talents then it would be hard to say no and if he nominates us we would give them that opportunity.
The only reason we would go for him is because we think he will get back to 100% and everyone knows pick 5 would be a bargain for him .

If we do finish mid table then it means Jäger is dominating and if we do want to go backwards to go forwards then we can trade out older players and build around Cripps and Jäger who would be our version of Selwood and Danger

Yeah I suppose that's fair enough. We'd have to be 100% sure that he will get back to his best to give up pick #5 though. I just don't think we can make that assurance to ourselves. If he doesn't and ends up having more setbacks then we will have a massive setback.

It is a huge risk.

I've been mentioning that trading Gibbs would be a smart move but a lot of people hate the idea.

I have never thought we are one player away from a Premiership.

Im on record as saying we need 8-15 players over the next 3 years.

Jaeger O'Meara is a PART of that, ive also advocated us getting two or three picks across this year and next.

Getting O'Meara is smart trading for a commodity underpriced due to injury.

He is a PART of our rebuild aspirations not an opposite path.

JOM could make it back to his best, but there's also the chance that he won't. If he doesn't then that's pick #5 down the drain.

I'm not going to entertain the thought of getting him for what you said. However, it does involve removing Touhy from the picture as well as an early second rounder.

What happens to our backline in 3 years? Simpson retires. Byrne will questionably go on and may not reach his best after ACL and with Touhy out?

We'd be a lot wiser to keep pick #5 and spend it on a gun kid that doesn't have that massive question mark floating above his head regarding his fitness.

You said you're after premierships by chasing JOM and if we don't chase him then we won't be winning a flag. That's rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never thought we are one player away from a Premiership.

Im on record as saying we need 8-15 players over the next 3 years.

Jaeger O'Meara is a PART of that, ive also advocated us getting two or three picks across this year and next.

Getting O'Meara is smart trading for a commodity underpriced due to injury.

He is a PART of our rebuild aspirations not an opposite path.
I couldn't agree more.

JOM fits the brief perfectly.... My opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
If GC accept Pick #18, 2017 2nd rounder and Everitt then we will sign him up faster than they can even say yes.

I just don't think that's going to be anywhere near enough.
I don't think it is enough either, but it is not out of the question to convert that 2nd rounder into a mid to late first rounder. Then it could be in the ball park, it all comes down to cost. I was totally against recruiting Treloar last year for many of the arguments you have put forth, we have too many holes in our list to blow consecutive first rounders on one player.

I just feel as though O'Meara shouldn't cost that with the injury concerns. We need to acquire as much young A-grade talent by whatever means we can. They are not easy to acquire but every young A-grade talent we get on our list brings us one step closer to where we need to be.

If we do get him at the right price then your argument of us moving slightly up the ladder before coming back down doesn't make sense to me. We could say the same about recruiting Weitering "don't recruit Weitering because he is a quality player who will help us move up the ladder in the short term, use pick 1 on Parish instead".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back