"2017 AFL Grand Final will be a Night Grand Final" - Dwayne Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch the NRL grand final every year. Often cheering for the Storm.

I have never been to a rugby league game. Not 1.

I have to think that the increased number of casual viewers from the night time game will translate in to very few new fans. That's the excuse for the extra money it will earn Ch 7 which in turn lines the AFL's pockets. Then the AFL make profits and the CEO and executive earn fat bonuses.

The game is best played during the day time. Best weather for the best skills when grand finals are often pretty tight sloppy affairs. A slippery night game watched on when everyone's drunk does nothing for the game.

Nope leave it as it is during the day, red sherrin and the amazing atmosphere.

Don't dud it up by trying to be phony Americans. The game doesn't need fireworks and a mini concert, the football match is the main event.
Still love your hashtag of #standbyredsherrins from months ago.

I'm with you 100% on that one.

I know Vics have a massive fear of all things new and different what's wrong with playing a game at 5.40?

For all the loathing of evening games expressed by some Vic posters, it's probably the large number of Melbourne viewers watching nighttime state of origin and the nighttime NRL grand final that suggests to the AFL a need to move its grand final to evening.

Assuming the AFL's aim is not to limit its audience intentionally, it makes sense to have a twilight or evening grand final.

Posters claiming they won't watch an evening grand final may well be telling the truth, but they will be outnumbered by people who are not watching at the moment but would watch an evening grand final because at home.

The likelihood that many of these additional viewers would be less committed fans of the game than the average big footy poster would make them more valuable to the network, not less. It would mean the network was reaching a broader audience than just those who watch regular season games or a daytime grand final.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Night games are great, always enjoy watching a night game and have loved watching some absolute ripper night finals in the past few years. Always great being able to go home from work and look forward to a big game that night.

However, there's something special about day grand finals. Getting up early and watching the coverage from early in the morning, the start of some good spring weather and enjoying it with food and drink at a BBQ and then being able to unwind after the game and having all night to dissect what happened and enjoy post-game celebrations.

Night just sucks in that regard because the game finishes and almost all of a sudden the day is over, and things die down a lot. Everyone gets tired so things can flatten quickly unless you're in your 20s.

Would there really be that many more people watching? In footy states people plan their days around the grand final so that's fine, but in other areas I could see the game still remaining in the background because people tend to be busy with other things on Saturday nights. Even for me as a footy fanatic I find myself always missing Saturday night games.

Also think it could be hard to do with the clubs having their post-game events. For night games teams don't really get out of the ground for at least 1-1.5 hours after the game. That would be even longer after the grand final with all the interviews, team talks and the celebrations. Beveridge didn't finish his speech till 6:30 on Saturday. Even with a 5pm game, it would be near impossible for them to celebrate with a dinner afterwards, without rushing the celebrations.

So basically you'd have to rush a team that has just won a grand final, all so they can quickly get to the team dinner and celebrations afterwards and then be up early the next day to greet the fans wherever they do. All for a few more TV views. Get ****ed.

Last edited:
For The people that attend the granny, im pretty sure they don't give a * if the general public have had there BBQ routine ****ed up. if I have paid a scum campaigner $1000 for ticket, I wanna see the best fireworks since 1999 and I want ACDC with the Gunners as support act, if this is at night to make my investment more enjoyable, so be it.

Night games are great, always enjoy watching a night game and have loved watching some absolute ripper night finals in the past few years. Always great being able to go home from work and look forward to a big game that night.

However, there's something special about day grand finals. Getting up early and watching the coverage from early in the morning, the start of some good spring weather and enjoying it with food and drink at a BBQ and then being able to unwind after the game and having all night to dissect what happened and enjoy post-game celebrations.

Night just sucks in that regard because the game finishes and almost all of a sudden the day is over, and things die down a lot. Everyone gets tired so things can flatten quickly unless you're in your 20s.

Would there really be that many more people watching? In footy states people plan their days around the grand final so that's fine, but in other areas I could see the game still remaining in the background because people tend to be busy with other things on Saturday nights. Even for me as a footy fanatic I find myself always missing Saturday night games.

Also think it could be hard to do with the clubs having their post-game events. For night games teams don't really get out of the ground for at least 1-1.5 hours after the game. That would be even longer after the grand final with all the interviews, team talks and the celebrations. Beveridge didn't finish his speech till 6:30 on Saturday. Even with a 5pm game, it would be near impossible for them to celebrate with a dinner afterwards, without rushing the celebrations.

So basically you'd have to rush a team that has just won a grand final, all so they can quickly get to the team dinner and celebrations afterwards and then be up early the next day to greet the fans wherever they do. All for a few more TV views. Get stuffed.

Hilarious, we can't have a night or evening Grand Final because we're too dumb to work out how to move ancillary events back a few hours, and we have to be up early on Sunday for some reason or another.

Nah, just the replay. If they continued it, would be enough to stop watching all together.

Why?

So your love of the game is less than your love of watching something on Saturday afternoons?

Did you boycott prelim finals when they became night games? They had a tradition of being day games previously too.

Love night finals. Atmosphere is electric.

Love Day Grandfinals. Nothing better than celebrating a win all day and all night long. Just not the same if it was a night GF.

You've never been to a night grand final though. Might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back