"2017 AFL Grand Final will be a Night Grand Final" - Dwayne Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilarious, we can't have a night or evening Grand Final because we're too dumb to work out how to move ancillary events back a few hours, and we have to be up early on Sunday for some reason or another.
It wouldn't bother me, but it would bother plenty.

Plenty on here won't agree with me, but I always enjoy Saturday afternoon games at the MCG far more than night games.

Lights! Better atmosphere! (Not sure how that follows...) Fireworks! Flame shooters! 'Murica!

:cool:

Who really cares about the fireworks, concerts etc etc etc, apart from the corporate spectators, people go to the GF to watch the game. After Saturdays game both myself and most of the people there wouldn't even be able to remember what happened before the game and at half time, the game was the only thing to watch. If the AFL thinks its a good idea to have a night GF because that's what the TV audience wants then don't show the game live, delay the telecast till the evening then have recordings of the fireworks and MTV clips of the bands. The TV stations don't give a stuff about the football public attending the game, they only care about ratings.

If the executive experienced the 'entertainment' at the nrl final theyd think twice.

They had atmosphere? YES because its not loaded up with corporates.

That is the closest window to what a night AFL grand final wouls be like.

It wont be the superbowl and add another nought on the price of tickets for a start

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't imagine it happening if for no other reason than the AFL doesn't give anything away for free and they'll use it as a bargaining chip in the next round of TV rights negotiations. Unless they already had a handshake agreement for it last time (which isn't unbelievable and could help explain the $2.5b price tag) I can't imagine it happening before 2023

AFL were quick to lock in the 2.30pm timeslot for 2017

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'd say the afternoon final will last until 2022 when the current contract is up and they will use that as the main bargaining chip to drive up the price next time round.

It makes sense that they would use this as a bargaining chip for the next broadcast rights

Hopefully that is the explanation. It's getting absurd now.

I just think it shouldn't be about TV ratings, corporate sponsors, etc. The day should belong to the players and I have no doubt they would prefer a 2.30pm start. They would just be wanting to get out there and get into it. Why force them to sit around all day waiting for the game to start? Some of them would be nervous wrecks.

Come on AFL, for once on your life, do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back