Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see this. Knightmare would have passed on both father-son bids, so Collingwood's father sons weren't considered to be good picks in thisAs far as McLarty goes, he doesn't seem that different to Rotham and Brennan Cox. Maybe injuries did derail his season;none of the phantoms that I used reflect his rating in 2015.
Lol if Knightmare was any good he would be a top recruiter for an AFL club. Don't believe everything you read and keep an opend mind.

Lol if Knightmare was any good he would be a top recruiter for an AFL club. Don't believe everything you read and keep an opend mind.

The phantom drafts Infact all of our opinions are generally based on others opinions as it is what we have read. I can't really comment on the Victorian lads as I haven't seen many but have watched the SA kids plenty.

So knightmare bases a lot of his opinions especially on interstate players on other peoples opinions so don't blame him blame them

Clearly the recruiters have more qualifications than anyone on BigFooty, you and me included. But Knightmare devotes a lot of time to getting an early handle on prospective players, and then works hard to refine his opinions and respond to questions. His October 27th Draft was the closest of any phantom released before November. So I think it's ok to refer to his authority.
Personally, I think the draft position for Brown was about right. Daicos should have gone at about the same point. I saw them play at Etihad and was impressed with their work and flair.

Funny you should implore me to keep an open mind. Yours seems very closed.

How can you seriously say that with any conviction when none of the recruits have kicked a ball in anger

Let's give it a few years before casting judgement

Which is fine but then this thread wouldn't exist.
GC and Brisbane had good drafts but for very good reasons.

GC lost a lot of serious talent to get their selections
Brisbane also lost best 22 talent but were given a leg-up by the AFL, also.
Essendon were also helped out by the AFL (yes they were) but again lost talent to get more talent.

Only way to truly gauge winner ad losers is to take into account overall gains vs losses, but even then......we won't really know for years to come.

Clearly the recruiters have more qualifications than anyone on BigFooty, you and me included. But Knightmare devotes a lot of time to getting an early handle on prospective players, and then works hard to refine his opinions and respond to questions. His October 27th Draft was the closest of any phantom released before November. So I think it's ok to refer to his authority.
Personally, I think the draft position for Brown was about right. Daicos should have gone at about the same point. I saw them play at Etihad and was impressed with their work and flair.

Funny you should implore me to keep an open mind. Yours seems very closed.

How are they qualified, what are these qualifications you talk of?

Pretty unusual for someone to win a time trial at the AIS Academy and to test elite for endurance at the combine if they're "incredibly lazy", I would have thought.

Tim Membrey was a very similar type who likewise "slid" a lot lower than most expected him to go and that didn't stop him from kicking 44 goals from just 17 games at AFL level just 4 years later, so we'll just see how Josh goes.

Battle slid due to one reason going to School next year no interstate club would pick him for certain and most
Melbourne clubs are under pressure to get the players in from day one

The club I am amazed is West Coast you have a chance to get a ruckman who is the next Dean Cox

Pass ?

Battle slid due to one reason going to School next year no interstate club would pick him for certain and most
Melbourne clubs are under pressure to get the players in from day one

The club I am amazed is West Coast you have a chance to get a ruckman who is the next Dean Cox

Pass ?
Adelaide drafted danger when he still had a year if school Victoria just saying.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't see this. Knightmare would have passed on both father-son bids, so Collingwood's father sons weren't considered to be good picks in thisAs far as McLarty goes, he doesn't seem that different to Rotham and Brennan Cox. Maybe injuries did derail his season;none of the phantoms that I used reflect his rating in 2015.

I respect the guys who do the phantom drafts but they are only opinion. many had daicos in front of Brown. I struggled how they could, I think Brown is Viney-esque.

It's all an opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously we wont actually know winners/losers for two years but anyways... On the surface it looks like:

Adelaide - Would be very pleased. Will have plenty of $$ in their kitty for recruitment & retention.
Brisbane - Did brilliantly. The re-build is now underway.
Carlton - Did ok but are in a strange list position. What to do with Gibbs?
Collingwood - Really struggling. Didnt have any decent picks.
Essendon - Rewarded for their own cheating which is a shame. But they would be very pleased with how their list is shaping up.
Fremantle - Have turned it around. Had a fair bit of luck but they would be very happy with how their list is looking especially with KPPs.
Geelong - I like the look of Parfitt. Hard to know about Geelong's list. All over the shop.
Gold Coast - Drafted well. Player retention remains their big issue. Maybe they should cut Ablett loose?
GWS - Another good draft. 4 picks in the top 20 + Deledio after finishing 3rd. A certainty for the flag in 2017 or 18. Absolute certainty.
Hawks - Did all their work in trade period.
Melbourne - No picks of any note
North - So so but they will need more.
Port - Big winner it seems. Would be pleased. But uneven list.
Richmond - Did all their work in trade period.
Saints - Playing the Long game. Traded away for next year.
Swans - Big winners. Would be over the moon with Florent and Hayward.
Eagles - Did ok. Will be thereabouts but is it enough? Reliant on NicNat.
Doggies - Would be pleased. Won the flag and recruited a top rating long term Ruckman.

Last edited:
One day I hope the Dogs can finish last, trade away a top liner or two , lose a player to free agency then have lots of picks in the top 30 in a strong draft.
Then we can celebrate "winning" the draft.
With Father-sons, who needs the draft.

Having said that, you did have two early pick two years in a row and absolutely nail them

What is the alternative to replace them with, it's not as though there are various AFL recruiters working elsewhere to replace them with?

You actually could have just as much idea if you watch shit loads of footy

I'm guessing here, but isn't there a pathway to becoming a recruiter? Firstly, it's a good idea to have a footy background - not necessarily playing at the highest level. Then become a scout, watching junior games and taking notes for a club. From there, join a recruiting team and move to a senior recruiting role if you are good enough.

Watching shitloads of footy, knowing what to look for in a kid, knowing how to express your ideas, and getting it right, would all be prerequisites.
And there are plenty of phantom drafters who could step up, I'm sure.

I'm guessing here, but isn't there a pathway to becoming a recruiter? Firstly, it's a good idea to have a footy background - not necessarily playing at the highest level. Then become a scout, watching junior games and taking notes for a club. From there, join a recruiting team and move to a senior recruiting role if you are good enough.

Watching shitloads of footy, knowing what to look for in a kid, knowing how to express your ideas, and getting it right, would all be prerequisites.
And there are plenty of phantom drafters who could step up, I'm sure.
Then become a scout? Lol. If you happen to know a head coach or a senior recruiter, if not then next to no chance.

Obviously we wont actually know winners/losers for two years but anyways... On the surface it looks like:

Adelaide - Would be very pleased. Will have plenty of $$ in their kitty for recruitment.
Brisbane - Did brilliantly. The re-build is now underway.
Carlton - Did ok but are in a strange list position. What to do with Gibbs?
Collingwood - Really struggling. Didnt have any decent picks.
Essendon - Rewarded for their own cheating which is a shame. But they would be very pleased with how their list is shaping up.
Fremantle - Have turned it around. Had a fair bit of luck but they would be very happy with how their list is looking especially with KPPs.
Geelong - I like the look of Parfitt. Hard to know about Geelong's list. All over the shop.
Gold Coast - Drafted well. Player retention remains their big issue. Maybe they should cut Ablett loose?
GWS - Another good draft. 4 picks in the top 20 + Deledio after finishing 3rd. A certainty for the flag in 2017 or 18. Absolute certainty.
Hawks - Did all their work in trade period.
Melbourne - No picks of any note
North - So so but they will need more.
Port - Big winner it seems. Would be pleased. But uneven list.
Richmond - Did all their work in trade period.
Saints - Playing the Long game. Traded away for next year.
Swans - Big winners. Would be over the moon with Florent and Hayward.
Eagles - Did ok. Will be thereabouts but is it enough? Reliant on NicNat.
Doggies - Would be pleased. Won the flag and recruited a top rating long term Ruckman.

I note you say Brisbane did brilliantly, do you think they will be challenging for the flag in 3 or 4 years, or years without success

Should clubs deliberately tank to replenish their stocks and hope the clubs CEO only gets a one year suspension and move on or continue to fight for the finals and never get the lower picks

Clubs are under pressure to have players from day one .

On a whole I don't agree with this statement. Players drafted need different amounts of time in the reserves before senior football. Some are ready for AFL, some are not.

Personally I would prefer proper player development then be a club that bloods youngsters to early and fail to develop the player and then they become a bust.

Each to their own I guess.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then become a scout? Lol. If you happen to know a head coach or a senior recruiter, if not then next to no chance.

You mean like most jobs, it's jobs for the boys. But if you go to junior games, you are more likely to meet and know recruiters.
The bloke I know who until recently was on the recruiting team at Freo was a highly rated junior, but injuries wrecked his career before it started. He went into talent identification through the WAFL before joining Freo. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a mate of Brad Lloyd or any Freo coach but got the gig anyway.

I note you say Brisbane did brilliantly, do you think they will be challenging for the flag in 3 or 4 years, or years without success

Should clubs deliberately tank to replenish their stocks and hope the clubs CEO only gets a one year suspension and move on or continue to fight for the finals and never get the lower picks
I reckon they will be. Their list is built with young talent only getting better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back