A Section VAFA Premier 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not making any assumptions, nor have I suggested it is black and white. I was merely putting some context around a comment made by another poster so please spare your sermon for someone else.

Don't cry.
It was good that you read it as you needed to read it. It will help you and it will help others understand what really goes on in the world of VAFA recruiting. Dream big Rooster.
Cheers Canada (your Carey friend)

Don't cry.
It was good that you read it as you needed to read it. It will help you and it will help others understand what really goes on in the world of VAFA recruiting. Dream big Rooster.
Cheers Canada (your Carey friend)

A club like Sorrento has some serious heavy hitters amongst its supporter cohort with contacts, networks and the potential for providing opportunities that would leave nearly all VAFA clubs in the shade. Dawes attended BGS and Melbourne Uni but those clubs stood absolutely no chance compared to what Sorrento could offer.

Your parochial, one eyed commentary is tiresome. Open your eyes and look beyond the narrow confines of the VAFA.

I’m not making any assumptions, nor have I suggested it is black and white. I was merely putting some context around a comment made by another poster so please spare your sermon for someone else.
"It is a little known fact Norm, that when one guy asks another guy to spare his sermon for someone else, this means that the first guy can still receive the sermon as all the first guy has done is request the second guy to spare someone else from receiving said sermon. Factually speaking."
(speak this to yourself in a Cliff Clavin voice)

A club like Sorrento has some serious heavy hitters amongst its supporter cohort with contacts, networks and the potential for providing opportunities that would leave nearly all VAFA clubs in the shade. Dawes attended BGS and Melbourne Uni but those clubs stood absolutely no chance compared to what Sorrento could offer.

Your parochial, one eyed commentary is tiresome. Open your eyes and look beyond the narrow confines of the VAFA.

It's very hard not to be parochial when it comes to the mighty VAFA and all that we offer.
I need not look anywhere else, other than of course enjoying the AFL. It is also a fantastic comp.
For the Love of the Game..

Plenty of ways to get "paid" in the ammo's. i.e. cash injection into one's private business venture, rent-free prime real estate for office/business activities, getting paid overs at vitamin companies.

Some in the ammos like to think, because they are private school based, they can offer superior job opportunities than those in the suburban comps which is completely misguided. There are just as many swinging d..ks in suburban comps as there are in the ammos.

Sometimes it just comes down to how complicated you want the offer to be against getting handed cold hard and taking on the taxman head first.

Sometimes blokes are happy with a decent job and not overly serious football season where they can head off overseas for 2-3 weeks during the season without getting crucified by coaches - Also helps if they get a boat cruise or the like expensed for by a sponsor.

Others just want to play with a couple of mates they know for a season or two at a club close to their residence.

It's all swings and roundabouts, and it's why we have a tiered competition, so you don't have the same clubs with heaps of cash smashing the same poor clubs over and over every week for years on end.

Speaking of paying players though, have head PMFC are having a bit of trouble at the moment which isn't good...

Plenty of ways to get "paid" in the ammo's. i.e. cash injection into one's private business venture, rent-free prime real estate for office/business activities, getting paid overs at vitamin companies.

Some in the ammos like to think, because they are private school based, they can offer superior job opportunities than those in the suburban comps which is completely misguided. There are just as many swinging d..ks in suburban comps as there are in the ammos.

Sometimes it just comes down to how complicated you want the offer to be against getting handed cold hard and taking on the taxman head first.

Sometimes blokes are happy with a decent job and not overly serious football season where they can head off overseas for 2-3 weeks during the season without getting crucified by coaches - Also helps if they get a boat cruise or the like expensed for by a sponsor.

Others just want to play with a couple of mates they know for a season or two at a club close to their residence.

It's all swings and roundabouts, and it's why we have a tiered competition, so you don't have the same clubs with heaps of cash smashing the same poor clubs over and over every week for years on end.

Speaking of paying players though, have head PMFC are having a bit of trouble at the moment which isn't good...
What are you saying about Port ?

It's laughable that people even post that ex AFL players are playing at clubs for money. I don't know of one club, other than Peninsula, who have paid money for players, ex AFL or not, to pull on their jumper.
It's actually an insult to people who work their nuts off trying to get these guys into the VAFA.

If anyone really thinks a club would risk being relegated TWO grades to pay someone then they just don't understand club over individual, team over me.

If it did happen, players would hear of it and there would be a rebellion in the ranks. So please drop this crap!

In regards to footy, it should be a great year, I read yesterday that Nick De Steiger is at Footscray, so he will more than likely play the majority of the season at OM's.
How will Matt Thomas go on his ailing knee?

Matt Spangher to the bush, Xavier Richards to NEAFL, two players who is the past you would have thought would play for OX. Tim Golds however, will pull on the red and black jumper, a very handy get. How many have pulled the plug at that club?

Uni Blues have had the same on ballers for yonks, surely Summers won't go around again?

Blacks heavily recruiting, should be a top four/flag threat.

Sam Fisher to Beaumaris, he will stiffen up their defence markedly.

De La with their renowned fighting spirit have added absolute top end talent, Tutt will be one of the best going around. Schipone if he gets on the park will do serious damage also.

Collegians nicely placed, although Michie has a pretty solid injury history, Ong is the gun for them. Their ruckman can also play, should be one of the best behind the Russian.

St Bedes will be hard to beat at home, they always are, but Beauy being in A and OM's in C Grade definitely hurts them recruitment wise.

It will get down to which teams have match winners on their day, it's a very even competition.

Coll's Michie is absolutely "flying"....Should be one of the best onballers going around.

Chris Dawes playing at Sorrento for nothing? Wouldn't have thought so.
my apologies for not being clear in my post because the conclusion you drew from it was the polar opposite of what i was trying to say.

fortunately rooster24 did not have the same difficulty as you.

to make it clear, people were speaking here of chris dawes joining his old school club - that club being old brighton.

they were also speaking of help he may get with his studies and work and playing for nothing at old brighton.

as part of that discussion they were speaking of sorrento also offering him help with his studies and work plus a tidy sum to play.

he chose sorrento and the tidy sum - who in their right mind would not?

that was my point.

please pay no attention to the trite ‘for the love of the game’ rhetoric from our full time poster

his comment about suburban paying competitions is outdated and ill-informed.

i occasionally see an eastern league game and i am more than comfortable taking my young one so well controlled are games these days.

speaking of bad behaviour, i am nowhere near as comfortable taking him to the snake pit.

for the love of the truth.

Nobody likes the snake pit. But thankfully this is an A Grade thread.
Each to their own Sui, but my opinions re the far superiority of the VAFA as a place to play and to support (including families and kids) is as strong as ever.
For the Love of the Game!!

Don't forget the old Escrow agreements Chaz, and in more recent years the 'Billy Hill' accounts.

Cheers

Cardio "just swipe and run" Carl

It's very hard not to be parochial when it comes to the mighty VAFA and all that we offer.
I need not look anywhere else, other than of course enjoying the AFL. It is also a fantastic comp.
For the Love of the Game..

Going to attend any Women's footy Canada?

Cheers

Cardio "pissant of everything VAFA" Carl.

Don't forget the old Escrow agreements Chaz, and in more recent years the 'Billy Hill' accounts.

Cheers

Cardio "just swipe and run" Carl

Third party accounts and gangsters.
Geez...for the love of the game...ooops sorry force of habit..
For the love of God..do we need a royal enquiry??

Going to attend any Women's footy Canada?

Cheers

Cardio "pissant of everything VAFA" Carl.

Indeed. Massive fan. Going to be huge. Paper bag free many may hope.
You are not insignificant my friend.
Don't pissant yourself on your sign off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intriguing post, Chazz.

There was a time when the word amateur had some authenticity. A time when we frowned on the SA State side calling themselves amateurs despite permitting player payments. A time when if you filled yours boots with cash elsewhere you had to prove yourself by spending some time in a non remunerative role in the amateur family before re-instatement.

Nowadays you can fill your boots one week and saddle-up as a so-called amateur the very next.

There is much in what you say about how the strong stance once taken on the matter of remuneration has been whittled away over time.

As you suggest the system as it stands is but a shadow of what it was and is capable of manipulation. I know a former influential club official who said he could have remunerated players quite handsomely and done so within the current guidelines.

The VAFA administration of recent years has much to answer for in my view.

For the love of the gain.

It's laughable that people even post that ex AFL players are playing at clubs for money. I don't know of one club, other than Peninsula, who have paid money for players, ex AFL or not, to pull on their jumper.
It's actually an insult to people who work their nuts off trying to get these guys into the VAFA.

If anyone really thinks a club would risk being relegated TWO grades to pay someone then they just don't understand club over individual, team over me.

If it did happen, players would hear of it and there would be a rebellion in the ranks. So please drop this crap!

In regards to footy, it should be a great year, I read yesterday that Nick De Steiger is at Footscray, so he will more than likely play the majority of the season at OM's.

Matt Spangher to the bush, Xavier Richards to NEAFL, two players who is the past you would have thought would play for OX. Tim Golds however, will pull on the red and black jumper, a very handy get. How many have pulled the plug at that club?

Uni Blues have had the same on ballers for yonks, surely Summers won't go around again?

De La with their renowned fighting spirit have added absolute top end talent, Tutt will be one of the best going around. Schipone if he gets on the park will do serious damage also.

Collegians nicely placed, although Michie has a pretty solid injury history, Ong is the gun for them. Their ruckman can also play, should be one of the best behind the Russian.

St Bedes will be hard to beat at home, they always are, but Beauy being in A and OM's in C Grade definitely hurts them recruitment wise.

It will get down to which teams have match winners on their day, it's a very even competition.

Michael Jamieson playing for OX this year....but not in the seniors!!

Pathetic if true. Like the mid-20s ex gun cricketer who puffs his chest out and bowls express pace to 14-year-old kids and pensioners in F grade. There is no place for recently retired AFL players in clubbies.

Maybe he just wants to have some fun with his mates? Clubbies was actually good to watch last year.

Michael Jamieson playing for OX this year....but not in the seniors!!

Jamison.
Struggled to get on the park even with afl trainers and medical staff.
If I were a betting man...I'm guessing he will not be seen too often.

i've been floating around the board for a few years now but never could be bothered getting involved in the discussion. BS finally a good post about the upcoming season.

The greatest thing about Premier Division is I can't see a clear stand out. Can OT hold on and have another crack with their list?
What impact will the new coaches have at SKOBs, SBMT, Beauy, OXs, have on the sides?
Will working at the Dogs impact the Uni Blues head coach?
De La wiped out all last years assistants will that hurt or help?
Nathan Brown at OM's the best in the comp be able to save his team from the drop after ppinching an A Grade spot the year before off the back of a SBMT choke?
Can the AFL players linked to SKOBs bring about a surge up the ladder?
All interesting. Practice matches aren't too far away. Exciting.

Take it or leave it I guess a first time poster hasnt got much street cred but I was chatting to one of the ex AFl talents that have left the AFL and come into the VAFA this year. He said that unless you had a realistic chance of making it back into the AFL then the VFL really wasnt an option in playing although getting a number of offers. He also said he was offered good $$ to play at other suburban clubs but found the prospects of long term job security through the VAFA team he is playing with as more attractive.

Sui I am sure other local clubs have just as many contacts and decent jobs for players but my opinion is they don't put in as much work to secure these because they have the $$ to offer. So maybe a club like Sorrento is a poor example because we all know their huge draw cards but why is it that so many ex AFL players chase $$$ in other local leagues. Surely a player like Jason Cloke who has hopped to a few clubs isnt being given a job and $$ each time?
In turn we are seeing a lot more Ex AFL guys falling back into the VAFA. It cant be so coincidental that the "Better" jobs it seems fall within the VAFA system.

But I guess it is all an opinion game.

Looking forward to getting involved in 2017.
it appears from the accusations from a very small section of the huge amateur community it may not be crap.

it does make you wonder how prevalent it might be.

with all the competitions around also with networks just why any given player with no previous connection to a club would choose to allegedly play for nothing when a job and money to play is there for the taking is mystifying.

chris Dawes being an obvious example.

Welcome aboard.
Yes it's going to be super close this year.
I currently have a 4/3/3 split on ladder positions.
Alphabetical Order:
Level 1 (Top 4)
- Collegians
- SKOB
- Trinity
- Xavs
Level 2 (Mid Table)
- Blacks
- Blues
- Dela
Level 3 (fighting relegation)
- Beauy
- Melb
- STBM

Welcome aboard.
Yes it's going to be super close this year.
I currently have a 4/3/3 split on ladder positions.
Alphabetical Order:
Level 1 (Top 4)
- Collegians
- SKOB
- Trinity
- Xavs
Level 2 (Mid Table)
- Blacks
- Blues
- Dela
Level 3 (fighting relegation)
- Beauy