List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

8%< or GTFO!:)
I think I've read Lyon saying we want to play finals this year,which is unusual for him if my memory is correct.If it is it would mean a bit of a hard line on experimentation and blooding youngsters you'd think.None of Sunshine,Kersten,Hill or Hamling qualify as youth so they're in if good enough and we've seen McCarthy,Hill and Hamling certainly are.
Tucker and Langdon will continue to push for games and possibly Logue later on,depending on his form with Thunder.
Looks as though the focus will rightly be on ball retention and drive from defence and forward delivery.Weller,Crozier and the Road Runner are key.Tabs may well be too in providing his long leads to the wing.
Dawson gets a reprieve with Pearce's injury,not that they are interchangeable but just a tall defender numbers thing.
Zaarke is 'on his last legs' haha and Griff's the same I'd say.Gorilla's star is on the rise.Our forward structure will have competition and therefore flexibility for the first time I recall,barring injuries of course.
We'll keep trying to progress the fast transition out of the backline,ball retention model we tried last year with some modifications given new personnel.Is Hale our forward line coach??
Don't really care about the 8 this year so long as we create a good platform for attacking it for the next few seasons.
Then sign JJ at the end of the season to further progress the plan.
2019 Fyfe is league's highest paid,Brownlow winner and Freo's first Norm Smith Premiership skipper.:cool:

Last edited:
26yrs and younger

Sutcliffe - A Pearce - Hamling
Weller - Logue - Crozier
B Hill- Blakely - S Hill
Walters - McCarthy - Bennell
Kersten - Taberner - Apeness

Clarke - Fyfe - Neale

Sherro - Langdon - Tucker - Deluca

Depth
Backline: Nyhuis, Ueber, Cox, Ryan, Duman
Mid: Grey, Balic
Ruck: Darcy
Fwd: Strnadica

Over 26yrs old taken out:
Sandi, Mundy, Johnson, Ballas, Spurr

Backline:
- 2 talls under 23yr old, both have shown to be excellent shutdown defenders. Hopefully they develop their attacking side as the years go by. They don't need to turn into Alex Rance, McPharlin levels of attack would be more than adequate.
- Weller and Crozier both looked good in parts of last year coming off the hbf. Both have spent the entire preseason training in the backline so we will know by the end of the year if this was a successful move. I'm confident these two boys are going to improve our ball movement out of the backline by quite some margin.
-Sutty.... 2014-15 he was a solid member of our backline. Offered good pace and a decent boot on him..... 2016 not so much. With our injuries to the backline and subsequent personnel changes Sutty struggled. He can be a good cog in a well oiled machine, but I'm not expecting him to be a leader back there. A spot we could improve on, but we could do worse.
- Logue? Unknown really, Is he destined to be the 3rd tall Johnson replacement? His highlight reel would suggest he has the attributes to do so. Good spoiler, great interceptor, strong, confident running the ball.

Midfield:
- Fyfe, Neale, S Hill, B Hill, Bennell have already shown they are capable of being apart of a top class midfield unit. Our area of least concern.
- How far can Blakely go this year, once he builds his tank it will be great to watch how far he can develop his game.
- Inside mid depth is a little worrying for my mind. I think at the end of this season we will be looking to draft another inside mid.
- Big year for Sherro, in his last interview he mentioned he will be playing on the inside more so it will be interesting how he goes. Ross has clearly rated him for awhile now. Dream scenario is he becomes a great inside/outside mid that slots in where we need him most. But we will see.
- Tucker and Langdon both look the goods to me. Langdon along with Brad Hill add elite speed to our team. Tucker I hope and think will eventually become another all rounder -Inside/Outside midfielder.

Ruck:
- Clarke and Darcy offer quite alot of uncertainty. Darcy looks good and Clarke once looked good. Honestly we're all hoping Sandi can last 2 more seasons so we know where we're at. There is still a chance Clarke gets back to his 2013 form...... but I wouldn't hold my breath.
- 2 years under the tutelage of Sandi though would be a great for Darcy.
- Hopefully Apeness can look down the ruck/fwd spot. Maybe not this year but it would be good to trial him as the full time ruck a few times to see if he could be relied upon in case of emergency.

Forwards:
- Our forward line is very young. Confident on Walters, McCarthy and Bennell being good to great players for years to come.
- Tabs and Apeness still both have big question marks. Big year ahead for both of them. If they both come good we are going to be be in a very good position for years to come. Coming good to me means eventually Tabs is kicking 40+ goals a year and Apeness is kicking 30+ and being an effective pinch hitting ruck.
- Kersten.... Polarising opinions on the Geelong board on if he was good or not. Will be interesting how he is used.
- Wouldn't be upset if we used our 1st rounder to pick up Mitch McGovern this year.

Overall:
- This under 26 team is already 80% of our best 22. That to me puts us in a great spot moving forward.
- Replacing Johnson and Sandi the two biggest hurdles.
- Tabs, McCarthy and Apeness performing well together will be the biggest factor on how we go moving back into being a top 4 threat in my mind.
- A big year for our three amigos. Entering their 3rd year now. If they can each continue to improve we are going to be in a very good spot.
- Sherro and Crozier entering their 6th season now. Both going to be taking quite a bit more responsibility this year. Crozier's output will be very important to how we fair.
St Kilda fans take note. That 26 and under team would truly smash a StKida under 26 team. That StKilda team which would be missing from their current best 22 Geary, Armitage, Riewoldt, Brown, Montangna, Dempster. While Steven is 27 in March. The concept that their list is better than ours in terms of youth moving forward is absurd.

100% with you dockerfemme.

The onus will be on the young blokes to force guys like Ibbo, Zac D and D Pearce out of their positions. That said, we have Hammer, B Hill, Cam Mac, Fyfe and Johnno that are definite best 22 if fit to add from the end of last year, and they may potentially dislodge some of the established incumbents.

I don't think Ross is thinking "let's finish somewhere between twelfth and seventh". He'll be thinking if everything falls into place we might just have a crack at going deep into the finals. Our best 22 won't be short of talent and we went into the 2015 prelim with this team:

upload_2017-2-12_15-52-18.png

Automatic outs - Muz, The Pig, Mayne, Pav, Mick B

Automatic ins - B Hill, Cam Mac, Hamling, Bennell (hopefully), Alex Pearce (when fit)

Possible ins - Kersten, Blakely, Apeness, Collins, Tucker, Langdon, Weller, Crozier, Balic, Hughes and whoever TTHD

I personally think we can put a better team on the park than the 2015 version. Goal front inaccuracy killed us in that game. Mick B and Sonny both missed kickable shots in the last quarter that could have swung the game. Until Tommy dropped that mark and Cyril swooped we had the Hawks on the ropes. I'm convinced that if we had kicked the next goal we would have played in another GF.

We've recruited Cam Mac and Kersten who are both better that average kicks at goal and can dob it from outside 50. If you look at that 2015 forward line - swap Cam Mac for Pav, Apeness for Big Griff, Kersten for Mayne and it doesn't look too bad. Maybe Fyfe and Bennell rotating through there and you have the makings of a winning score.

Barring catastrophe, I'll be disappointed if we don't make the eight.

8%< or GTFO!:)
I think I've read Lyon saying we want to play finals this year,which is unusual for him if my memory is correct.If it is it would mean a bit of a hard line on experimentation and blooding youngsters you'd think.None of Sunshine,Kersten,Hill or Hamling qualify as youth so they're in if good enough and we've seen McCarthy,Hill and Hamling certainly are.
Tucker and Langdon will continue to push for games and possibly Logue later on,depending on his form with Thunder.
Looks as though the focus will rightly be on ball retention and drive from defence and forward delivery.Weller,Crozier and the Road Runner are key.Tabs may well be too in providing his long leads to the wing.
Dawson gets a reprieve with Pearce's injury,not that they are interchangeable but just a tall defender numbers thing.
Zaarke is 'on his last legs' haha and Griff's the same I'd say.Gorilla's star is on the rise.Our forward structure will have competition and therefore flexibility for the first time I recall,barring injuries of course.
We'll keep trying to progress the fast transition out of the backline,ball retention model we tried last year with some modifications given new personnel.Is Hale our forward line coach??
Don't really care about the 8 this year so long as we create a good platform for attacking it for the next few seasons.
Then sign JJ at the end of the season to further progress the plan.
2019 Fyfe is league's highest paid,Brownlow winner and Freo's first Norm Smith Premiership skipper.:cool:
This was posted later but I'm guessing your hungover? This is nonsensical.

It's also another bad sign if Lyon is just playing finals again.

This all reeks of the Arsenal mould: doing just enough but not being bold or risky and getting the rewards.

If Lyon seriously thinks we're a finals capable side... there is no point playing finals if you just ebb and flow between 6-10 and accomplish nothing. Be brutal or accept short term pain. You're just not going to get anywhere. We are a s**t team and we have to accept we aren't finalists, and pointless losing finalists is completely counterproductive. Playing finals for the sake of it is a joke.

The onus will be on the young blokes to force guys like Ibbo, Zac D and D Pearce out of their positions. That said, we have Hammer, B Hill, Cam Mac, Fyfe and Johnno that are definite best 22 if fit to add from the end of last year, and they may potentially dislodge some of the established incumbents.

I don't think Ross is thinking "let's finish somewhere between twelfth and seventh". He'll be thinking if everything falls into place we might just have a crack at going deep into the finals. Our best 22 won't be short of talent and we went into the 2015 prelim with this team:

View attachment 335759

Automatic ins - B Hill, Cam Mac, Hamling, Bennell (hopefully), Alex Pearce (when fit)

Possible ins - Kersten, Blakely, Apeness, Collins, Tucker, Langdon, Weller, Crozier, Balic, Hughes and whoever TTHD

I personally think we can put a better team on the park than the 2015 version. Goal front inaccuracy killed us in that game. Mick B and Sonny both missed kickable shots in the last quarter that could have swung the game. Until Tommy dropped that mark and Cyril swooped we had the Hawks on the ropes. I'm convinced that if we had kicked the next goal we would have played in another GF.

We've recruited Cam Mac and Kersten who are both better that average kicks at goal and can dob it from outside 50. If you look at that 2015 forward line - swap Cam Mac for Pav, Apeness for Big Griff, Kersten for Mayne and it doesn't look too bad. Maybe Fyfe and Bennell rotating through there and you have the makings of a winning score.

I would rather a peak Mzungu, Maybe, Barlow, and still very good Pav over a lot of those players.

Pretty obvious Bennell will turn out to be a bust for us.

View attachment 335759

I think if ibbo ,Dawson and Johnson can help the team to top 8 is fine for me , but I rather balance the team with at least one of them out for the youngster to gain experience.

I would rather a peak Mzungu, Maybe, Barlow, and still very good Pav over a lot of those players.

Here's the stats from the 2015 prelim:

upload_2017-2-12_17-28-31.png

Muz was very good, Mick B ok despite missing a pivotal goal he should have kicked, that certainly wasn't peak Pav.

I've seen enough training to say Cam Mac is a gun. He will definitely be better this year for us than Pav was last year. His defensive pressure alone will be a huge step up. B Hill is an upgrade has elite kicking skills that neither Muz or Mick B had. The likes of Tucker, Weller and Langdon have shown enough for us to expect that at least one of them will stand up.

I'm not sure what your aversion is to playing finals? Why would Lyon want to play finals for the sake of it? He said in a recent interview with Mark Robinson that even if we only win 4 games this year he'll still be coach in 2018. Surely he'd rather finish closer to the bottom of the ladder for better draft picks if he didn't think we could have an impact.

You stated "we are a s**t team". Do you mean now, or in general? If you mean now then we'll find out when the season starts but to me our list is significantly better than it was last year. If you mean in general, then enjoy supporting s**t team.

We've just traded and drafted to improve our list. The guys we've brought in all have their best footy in front of them. We put a line through guys like Mick B and The Pig that found homes elsewhere. We let Mayne walk. Hardly being timid. It looks like laying the foundations for another period of sustained competitiveness.

Bennell will turn out to be a bust?

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-02-11/rosich-no-timeframe-for-fyfe-contract

Now you may think that Rosich is lying through his teeth - maybe he is. But then Bennell is still training in the rehab group and doing pretty much what you'd expect a guy coming back from calf problems to do. The club say they expect to come back via Peel sometime early in the season. Seems reasonable.

If Bennell leaves the club without having an impact then he's a bust. Until then he's a potential gun addition to our best 22.

Here's the stats from the 2015 prelim:

View attachment 335795

Muz was very good, Mick B ok despite missing a pivotal goal he should have kicked, that certainly wasn't peak Pav.

I've seen enough training to say Cam Mac is a gun. He will definitely be better this year for us than Pav was last year. His defensive pressure alone will be a huge step up. B Hill is an upgrade has elite kicking skills that neither Muz or Mick B had. The likes of Tucker, Weller and Langdon have shown enough for us to expect that at least one of them will stand up.

I'm not sure what your aversion is to playing finals? Why would Lyon want to play finals for the sake of it? He said in a recent interview with Mark Robinson that even if we only win 4 games this year he'll still be coach in 2018. Surely he'd rather finish closer to the bottom of the ladder for better draft picks if he didn't think we could have an impact.

You stated "we are a s**t team". Do you mean now, or in general? If you mean now then we'll find out when the season starts but to me our list is significantly better than it was last year. If you mean in general, then enjoy supporting s**t team.

We've just traded and drafted to improve our list. The guys we've brought in all have their best footy in front of them. We put a line through guys like Mick B and The Pig that found homes elsewhere. We let Mayne walk. Hardly being timid. It looks like laying the foundations for another period of sustained competitiveness.

Bennell will turn out to be a bust?

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2017-02-11/rosich-no-timeframe-for-fyfe-contract

Now you may think that Rosich is lying through his teeth - maybe he is. But then Bennell is still training in the rehab group and doing pretty much what you'd expect a guy coming back from calf problems to do. The club say they expect to come back via Peel sometime early in the season. Seems reasonable.

If Bennell leaves the club without having an impact then he's a bust. Until then he's a potential gun addition to our best 22.
Don't feed the troll. It is his usual stuff, nothing new.

Don't feed the troll. It is his usual stuff, nothing new.
Its funny how Sydney were written off last year before the season had started, had a mini re-build with some plug and
play types, were never expected to make a GF.
Hawks have done something similar, and I suspect Clarkson is looking at finals again rather than a total rebuild, fall.
After last year we have gone to the draft, and done the plug and play, yet we haven't been riskier enough?
We have taken a chance with Bennell, McCarthy, both previous first round selections, but Bennell is already a bust?
What about Yarren?
The team has gone from being one of the oldest, I don't think Lyon wants just one finals appearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny how Sydney were written off last year before the season had started, had a mini re-build with some plug and
play types, were never expected to make a GF.
Hawks have done something similar, and I suspect Clarkson is looking at finals again rather than a total rebuild, fall.
After last year we have gone to the draft, and done the plug and play, yet we haven't been riskier enough?
We have taken a chance with Bennell, McCarthy, both previous first round selections, but Bennell is already a bust?
What about Yarren?
The team has gone from being one of the oldest, I don't think Lyon wants just one finals appearance.
Is better to keep low profile , and prove it onfield that like tiger talk up every year and end up disappointed

This was posted later but I'm guessing your hungover? This is nonsensical.

It's also another bad sign if Lyon is just playing finals again.

This all reeks of the Arsenal mould: doing just enough but not being bold or risky and getting the rewards.

If Lyon seriously thinks we're a finals capable side... there is no point playing finals if you just ebb and flow between 6-10 and accomplish nothing. Be brutal or accept short term pain. You're just not going to get anywhere. We are a s**t team and we have to accept we aren't finalists, and pointless losing finalists is completely counterproductive. Playing finals for the sake of it is a joke.
I have mixed opinions on this post.... I can understand your side of the story. Your a High risk- High reward type dude. You also don't want to do thinks half cocked or half arsed approach. Seems like you got a Big pair of balls Like Tough man tony Abbott. I can respect you for that. As for the reference to Arsenal, I am a man city fan but you and I can PM each other about Arsenal if you want. Arsenals Problems has little to do with the Coach Arsene Wenger, more to do with the Owner "Silent" Stan Kroenke. PM me if you want to go further.

The High risk high reward stuff has 2 outcomes. Do it right and it would look good, do it wrong and it will look disastrous.

I am more of a Low risk low reward type person. Not a fan of putting All my eggs in one basket.

I do have a different opinion of you in finals. I am happy just to make the finals, It gives freo hope. Back in the start of 2012, I would of been happy for Ross Lyon to just let us make finals again after 15 years of mismanagement, Bad luck, mediocrity and nearly there years. In that 2012-15 Period Lyon gave us something. It wasn't just hope, it was stability.

We spent years trying to get a quality experienced tall forward to help Pav and Get us an elusive flag but it came to no avail. Yet we go into 2017 with a large quantity but unproven amount of tall forwards.

That's your opinion. Mzungu was good at his peak, So Was barlow and pav.

as for the Automatic ins - B Hill, Cam Mac, Hamling, Bennell (hopefully), Alex Pearce (when fit). If all goes well for these blokes, Freo will be way better than 2016.

As for the Possible ins - Kersten, Blakely, Apeness, Collins, Tucker, Langdon, Weller, Crozier, Balic, Hughes. That's a very good list of players aged 23 or under coming through.

As for bennell being a bust... Could happen but he wouldn't be the 1st bust freo has had.

I think if ibbo ,Dawson and Johnson can help the team to top 8 is fine for me , but I rather balance the team with at least one of them out for the youngster to gain experience.
Agreed... Hence I am Also Predicting there will be also 2 rucks playing each week. Sandi or Griffin will provide the experience while a Darcy/Apeness/ Strnadica all come in and rotate as youth.

Is better to keep low profile , and prove it onfield that like tiger talk up every year and end up disappointed
Besides having talks with Brad Hill and McCarthy mid season, rest of the recruits were low profile

What does Josh Deluca have to do to get into the 22 this year? What's his best bet?

Should he be trying to push Ballas out as a small forward?

His only hope is that Ross goes back to using a pure defensive tagger. He's not a bad forward pocket but due to his kicking, doesn't score enough and whilst Balla is far from perfect he's still the better option.

Since he was a part of the fat that was trimmed...

Anybody have any idea how Mayne is going at the pies?
Pardon my intrusion guys i come in peace.

Mundy is doing well from what ive seen of him down at training sessions that ive been too. Ive got an afl fantasy related question. How likely are Balic and Strnadica to get early games? :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back