Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone can express their opinion here, but the caveat is that we avoid outright abuse. Tone it down thanks, Joeltownsmith

If you really have a child then I must assume you're an adult and are therefore capable of more mature posting. Not a whole lot more to discuss.
Disappointing girls please at least show heart when wearing the purple jumper, the great thing about footy though is that thiers always next week to atone.

Just turned it on and may I be struck down for saying the stinking magpies are passable too.

Correction:They've reverted to type.
Crows deserving winners.

Last edited:
Shows the depth of talent at the moment then, surely no more teams for a year or two.

This will be a strong competition but the inspiration for young AFL girls has just begun and all that talent won't filter through for a number of years but it will come.
Thoroughly agree. also another poster suggested the wages should be increased so players can be fulltime. Netballers in new league get min $67K yes there is a smaller roster but in AFLW when your two marquee players are only getting $25K training. Make it $50K for Marquee players, min wage $25K and increase season to 14 games ie twice each and have a final four format. More training at the elite level will increase skill level.

I think good on them for having a go, but after watching all our games I gradually lost interest....combination of poor results and skills playing a part. I wish we could watch more colts and u18 footy.

Undoubtedly will improve as the comp goes on but the main thing is to have it up there and available as an option to play or watch.
I enjoyed the spectacle.

liar! where were you???

Well we were always going to lose this one, with so many players out including the Captain, and Melbourne being a hard team to beat all year. Good to see the girls still get decent crowds - I'd say about the same size as a VFL game here.

The skills weren't great - but don't forget that only a few months ago, barely any of them were professional footballers. And even though they were being belted most of the team were fighting to the end. There were a couple of highlights, like Chuot's smother when Melbourne were going for goal, and my buddy Miller laid a couple of ripper tackles.

Sure the season didn't turn out as expected, but it was a great step forward for creating a competitive professional women's competition.
We were southern end of the ground, halfway between the the goals & the main stand, sitting on the grass. I was the one explaining to the 7 year old girl what was happening.

We were southern end of the ground, halfway between the the goals & the main stand, sitting on the grass. I was the one explaining to the 7 year old girl what was happening.
Oops I must've walked straight past you. We were making up the 4 person cheer squad

All Australian squad members picked.

From Freo
Kara Donnellan, Ebony Antonio, Kirby Bentley, Dana Hooker

Think Kara and Ebony make it in, Dana a maybe, Kirby a no.
Only other real contender for a spot in the squad was Lara Filocarmo. Would have had her before Kirby imop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Australian squad members picked.

From Freo
Kara Donnellan, Ebony Antonio, Kirby Bentley, Dana Hooker

Think Kara and Ebony make it in, Dana a maybe, Kirby a no.
Only other real contender for a spot in the squad was Lara Filocarmo. Would have had her before Kirby imop.
Amazed Bentley was nominated. Can't remember any time she has more than a cameo impct on the game. Nice reward for a career but not on the seasons effort.

Donellan is a lock. The others are no chance.

Amazed Bentley was nominated. Can't remember any time she has more than a cameo impct on the game. Nice reward for a career but not on the seasons effort.

Donellan is a lock. The others are no chance.
Ebony might make the bench, and Bentley wouldn't make my top 6 at Freo.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Ebony might make the bench, and Bentley wouldn't make my top 6 at Freo.

Antonio never had a 4 quarter game. I just can't see a spot. I think she should be full time CHF next season. Give the forward line some presence. Ler her settle in the position. Cowan went chasing the game too much and moved the players all over the shop when some stability was needed.

As for Bently top 6 one you go through Donnellan, Antonio, Hooker and Filacamo there was very little else. Not saying Bentley deserves top 6, just little competition.

Antonio never had a 4 quarter game. I just can't see a spot. I think she should be full time CHF next season. Give the forward line some presence. Ler her settle in the position. Cowan went chasing the game too much and moved the players all over the shop when some stability was needed.

As for Bently top 6 one you go through Donnellan, Antonio, Hooker and Filacamo there was very little else. Not saying Bentley deserves top 6, just little competition.
I would have her behind Houghton and the full back who's name escapes me as well, and neither of them were anything more than serviceable.

I would have her behind Houghton and the full back who's name escapes me as well, and neither of them were anything more than serviceable.

Tayla Bresland. Was OK in a purely stopping sense. Houghton also suffered from being played everywhere. Needed to let her learn the game.

In the pregame on the radio, may have been Steve Harris being interviewed, he said the AFL over estimated the depth in WA and allowed us to be raided.

I vaguely remember the AFL needing to sign off on Marquee players. Clubs needed to nominate preferences and AFL gave them the tick of approval. I guess they ultimately controlled who went where.

Adelaide could potentially have been denied either of their WA girls, similarly Brisbane their ruckman, but they weren't. Leading to our dismal season.

In the pregame on the radio, may have been Steve Harris being interviewed, he said the AFL over estimated the depth in WA and allowed us to be raided.

I vaguely remember the AFL needing to sign off on Marquee players. Clubs needed to nominate preferences and AFL gave them the tick of approval. I guess they ultimately controlled who went where.

Adelaide could potentially have been denied either of their WA girls, similarly Brisbane their ruckman, but they weren't. Leading to our dismal season.
This is true. There's some super talented WA players, but past that they'd be less skilled than like their VIC counterparts - as you could see from how the competition went. So many teams took WA marquees that there wasn't really enough left for us to field a competitive team - especially after ours went down injured

This is true. There's some super talented WA players, but past that they'd be less skilled than like their VIC counterparts - as you could see from how the competition went. So many teams took WA marquees that there wasn't really enough left for us to field a competitive team - especially after ours went down injured

So essentially the AFL guessed who were the strongest and tried to equalize the competition. Screwing us and handing Adelaide a flag. I wish they would have kept to themselves and allowed the naturally stronger teams to succeed.

So essentially the AFL guessed who were the strongest and tried to equalize the competition. Screwing us and handing Adelaide a flag. I wish they would have kept to themselves and allowed the naturally stronger teams to succeed.
Yep. I bet the AFL are devastated they couldn't have gotten that flag to VIC or GWS

Yep. I bet the AFL are devastated they couldn't have gotten that flag to VIC or GWS
WA did beat Victoria in the last true interstate clash 2 years ago. WA players dominated the exhibition series, apart from the few big Vic names. It was reasonable.

However he issue with Freo is not just about the talent in WA but who was selected, the game style and the general issues around female football in WA.

Selection wise there would have been half a dozen girls in the Freo side who were very fortunate to be in the side.

As for female football in WA, over the past two years the other states, SA in particular have taken steps to advance female football. WA has a half arsed academy which is one day a week over summer and is poorly run. Some players receive little or no feedback. Favourites are aplenty.

WAWFL clubs are unsupported, although i tip my hat to West Perth who have enbraced it this season. Policies for the advancement of the game are lost in club self interest. Like players being told to move clubs (usually to the state officials club) if you want state selection. Then the same clubs whinging that the other teams aren't competitive enough!

Some of the clubs in the WAWFL where draftees are meant to come from are treated worse than boys under 13 in terms of ground access and facilities.

Then there was the choice of ground for the finals last season. On the substandard surface Forth and Bowers did ACLs.

I was hoping for improvement this year but based on happenings so far I'm not hopefull.

BTW the WAWFL starts on Sunday. I would encourage support but it's on at the same time as Freo.

WA did beat Victoria in the last true interstate clash 2 years ago. WA players dominated the exhibition series, apart from the few big Vic names. It was reasonable.

However he issue with Freo is not just about the talent in WA but who was selected, the game style and the general issues around female football in WA.

Selection wise there would have been half a dozen girls in the Freo side who were very fortunate to be in the side.

As for female football in WA, over the past two years the other states, SA in particular have taken steps to advance female football. WA has a half arsed academy which is one day a week over summer and is poorly run. Some players receive little or no feedback. Favourites are aplenty.

WAWFL clubs are unsupported, although i tip my hat to West Perth who have enbraced it this season. Policies for the advancement of the game are lost in club self interest. Like players being told to move clubs (usually to the state officials club) if you want state selection. Then the same clubs whinging that the other teams aren't competitive enough!

Some of the clubs in the WAWFL where draftees are meant to come from are treated worse than boys under 13 in terms of ground access and facilities.

Then there was the choice of ground for the finals last season. On the substandard surface Forth and Bowers did ACLs.

I was hoping for improvement this year but based on happenings so far I'm not hopefull.

BTW the WAWFL starts on Sunday. I would encourage support but it's on at the same time as Freo.
Also doesn't help when players don't play for the club or jumper.

Half of the women were not Freo supporters when drafted and even after the first season still aren't.

Also doesn't help when players don't play for the club or jumper.

Half of the women were not Freo supporters when drafted and even after the first season still aren't.
meh, wouldn't have any effect whatsoever, these girls just wanted to play AFL

You think the girls from the melbourne draft all supported the 1/4 clubs they got picked up by? when there are 10 clubs in melbourne to support...

ditto with the other states who would have had the same "problem"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back