Opinion Out of all these young guys, who will make it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many rate florent

Let's hope he isn't a vespremi or lamb

I'm not sure what games people are watching that don't rate him...he has shown plenty I reckon.

The only similarity between Florent and Lamb or PV is his physical size...he has plenty more heart than either of those blokes.

I'm not sure what games people are watching that don't rate him...he has shown plenty I reckon.

The only similarity between Florent and Lamb or PV is his physical size...he has plenty more heart than either of those blokes.

I don't get it either. Has shown a turn of pace, willingness to work hard and elite kicking even under pressure.

Outside of that I actually I think he has shown a willingness to get on the inside too and I think could develop an inside game as well (Although too small now to be effective).

Kid has the goods.

Last edited:
People draw the comparison because of his physical stature

Yep sorry removed that part from my post. Read it wrong earlier.

Addressing the op

James Rose up to 30 games
Jordan Foote up to 50
Will Hayward 150++
Oliver Florent 150+
Nic Newman 150
Harrison Marsh 80
Jordan Dawson 30
Sam Naismith 150
Aliir Aliir 200++
Robbie Fox 100

its more that he goes missing and I was under the impression he had pace which I am yet to witness

Yeh he looked positively pedestrian when he ran down Johannisen.

We are seriously expecting way too much of these kids.

Florent goes missing
Hayward's not built enough
Foote lacks composure
Dawson did nothing
Marsh's skills are s**t

wtf? None of our guns were guns from the same stages of their career. We're talking about guys who haven't even played 10 games, some haven't even played five. The games they have played in have been scrappy slog-fests and have been put under the pump because our senior players have not performed and led by example. Florent, Hayward, Foote, Newman, Dawson and Fox have never, ever played in a game where the Swans performed at the Swans usual standard. As I said, when Hewett and Papley debuted last year, it was a NEAFL-standard game. Collingwood applied no pressure at all and were barely an opponent for the first three quarters. Of course they were going to get confidence from that and build on it. How are we meant to expect Florent and Foote and co to play with confidence and be clean and skilful and smart when they are being hounded by the opposition every time they touch the ball, in games where everything they do becomes that much more important because of the s**t score-line?

A lot of players look good right at the start then diminish; a lot of players have the opposite, they start off showing nothing then gradually become stars. Let's just wait and see, will be a fair while before we can make conclusions about any of these kids.

We are seriously expecting way too much of these kids.

Florent goes missing
Hayward's not built enough
Foote lacks composure
Dawson did nothing
Marsh's skills are s**t

wtf? None of our guns were guns from the same stages of their career. We're talking about guys who haven't even played 10 games, some haven't even played five. The games they have played in have been scrappy slog-fests and have been put under the pump because our senior players have not performed and led by example. Florent, Hayward, Foote, Newman, Dawson and Fox have never, ever played in a game where the Swans performed at the Swans usual standard. As I said, when Hewett and Papley debuted last year, it was a NEAFL-standard game. Collingwood applied no pressure at all and were barely an opponent for the first three quarters. Of course they were going to get confidence from that and build on it. How are we meant to expect Florent and Foote and co to play with confidence and be clean and skilful and smart when they are being hounded by the opposition every time they touch the ball, in games where everything they do becomes that much more important because of the s**t score-line?

A lot of players look good right at the start then diminish; a lot of players have the opposite, they start off showing nothing then gradually become stars. Let's just wait and see, will be a fair while before we can make conclusions about any of these kids.

Apart from Heeney - he was a gun from day 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give the new kids on the block a chance: Florent, Foote, Hayward, Newman, Dawson and Fox - just after round 3!!! Come on !!
Now Aliir, Jones and Naismith - yes I'm glad they are wearing a Swans's jumper! Please sign up Jones.
Marsh may want to return to WA eventually but we need him at the moment to bolster our backline.
Rose not sure why he is out of favour.
Melican is the other I'm waiting to debut this season.

These kids are exciting - they are carrying us with the lack of form from some of our senior players.
Exciting 2017 and 2018 and beyond coming up!
Go Bloods!

Last edited:
I've said this before. Of the new group of players, the best value pick up will be Robbie Fox.
He is a real footballer that gets it & knows his way around the ground & I am looking forward to watching him become a permanent fixture in our team.
He is not unlike Lloyd but he has a bigger body.
These are the types of footballers I get satisfaction from watching. He just needs to be left to play for consecutive weeks. Fox is a no fuss footballer & is my pick to give best value to our club.

I think along the lines of these past players beginnings to their careers.

Kirk, Rampe, Lloyd! We may have a gem.
Huh! But I thought Towers would be OK so please write your abuse in the space provided!

Cheers!
Ted!

I must say reading through some posts that some people on here are extremely critical of the kids coming through. From an outsider perspective, I'd commend Sydney on churning out some of the best young talent in recent years.

The way I see it:

Nic Newman: Great foot-skills and composure in tough scenarios, loved the confident mark he took in his debut and also loved his running efforts against the Bulldogs last week. That goal he received from Buddy in the square might seem like a cheapie but the reality is he busted a lung running down there and deserved it. Reminds me a bit of Malceski!

Oliver Florent: I remember watching him at the Sandy Dragons and thinking that he struggles to put in full 4-quarter efforts, but his agility, clean hands and ability to operate in traffic shows that he has a lot to work with. If I'm not mistaken he has been played largely in the forward line? Would love to see him get a full gig on a wing.

Will Hayward: I really rate this kid, showed plenty on debut and kicked 3 in a very very big game vs the Dogs. Says a lot about him and I honestly think that is something Swans fans will look back on as his 'first statement' in years to come. Exceptional hands and its great to see a kid who can actually nail set-shots!!

Jordan Foote: Unfortunately I haven't noticed him much in the games I've seen, seems to tackle well but I'm unsure where he fits in exactly!

Too early to say on Jordy Dawson but guys like Hewett, Aliir, Papley, Marsh, Lloyd etc. play with a maturity beyond their years. I was gobsmacked when I read that all of them aren't even 24yo yet!

Looking Forward to Tomorrow, I won't wish you good luck though ;)

Allir, mills, heeney, Hayward and Florent 200+ games.
Marsh does a lot of things right but his kicking on the rebound is shocking when going the long option 100 games if can sort his disposal or play to his limits.
Fox looks a goer - good speed, commits to contests and gets to good spots. 100 games
Melican looked like an Allir clone during JLT and disappointed he didn't get a debut this week.
Papley is a gun small forward and won't be going anywhere. 200 games
Cameron - not Sinclair so will get plenty of games cause he isn't s**t. Hopefully he comes good this season and shows Tippett the door. 150 games

Disappointed Edwards hasn't got a debut for us and Ronke didn't get a gig during JLT as their attributes look perfect for us currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back