Preview Ins and Outs v a promising EDFL club - RD 10, 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hate the ins. However I don't massively like.
I don't like Stephens over Sweet tooth.

However Dylan has a s**t load more AFL experience at mo. That's lacking from the firsts.

I'd love to see Campbell and Dylan take some of mills minutes in the mids.

We're a superstitious bunch aren't we.

Clarkson coaching: "Clarko is gonna get the better of Horse again. We're screwed."

Clarkson not coaching: "Great. Now we're gonna be up against the new coach curse."
Rattan is the new coach……..no curse is that strong

For all the talk of Sheldrick's non-selection, IMO it becomes irrelevant if Rowbottom is playing his natural game of see-ball, get-ball.
I know the vfl form, but the last afl game regardless of where he played was not the best advert for him. I’m more for afl proven Wicks as sub and happy w Stephens ahead of him as well.

Seems an odd thing to say.. but I think we are going in too tall.. we are slow and inflexible enough up front as it is.. only need one of Ladhams/McAndrew imo
No, Goldstein will monster MCAndrew, Ladhams restores that balance and can rest forward as well….shame he can’t kick but that’s where we are I guess.

I know the vfl form, but the last afl game regardless of where he played was not the best advert for him. I’m more for afl proven Wicks as sub and happy w Stephens ahead of him as well.
Yeah much ado about nothing IMO.

Second-year player with a lot to work on not getting selected is hardly earth-shattering.

It's a horrendous season in terms of injuries and the flow on impacts to the team.
Losing Paddy, Tom, Rampe means we've lost size, speed, intercept marking and leadership down back just from them being out.
Then having Blackey as a key defender we lose his intercept marking and run and carry out of defence and delivery I50 and Lloyd/Florent are also negatively impacted.

Losing Reid, Amartey up front significantly weakens our pressure up front, our ability to take bail out marks on the wings and create mismatches up front and allows the opposition to intercept mark and rebound out of defence quickly.

Losing Hickey impacted our midfield who have to be conscious that the defence is significantly weakened and requires more support and our forward line is also significantly weaker and also requires more support.

All this is exacerbated by Papley, Heeney and Hayward having their most inaccurate seasons ever and Franklin getting on in years and required to play when limited.

Dane Rampe
Joel Amartey
Paddy McCartin
Tom McCartin
Tom Hickey
Callum Mills
Logan McDonald
Sam Reid

Some huge players in this list missing.

As much as they've underperformed, Norf aren't complete spuds, and will have the "new coach curse" on their side.

However, if we show the same fight we showed in the third quarter against Fremantle, we should be okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lowkey reckon this is sort of the perfect game to debut McAndrew in.

The season is all but dead so the stakes aren't that high; he'll have one ruck, maybe even two if McLean chips in here and there, to lead and/or support him; and he'll still get the challenge and learning experience of taking on one of the best rucks in the comp in Goldstein on debut.

I lowkey reckon this is sort of the perfect game to debut McAndrew in.

The season is all but dead so the stakes aren't that high; he'll have one ruck, maybe even two if McLean chips in here and there, to lead and/or support him; and he'll still get the challenge and learning experience of taking on one of the best rucks in the comp in Goldstein on debut.
Bollocks, it's round 10. Worse clubs have still made finals.

What we do need to do is start getting our ducks in a row.

We should be able to win 3 of our next 5 (Norf, Probably Carl at home and WCE) which should put us back in the hunt. St Kilda have been jekyll and hide all year while we'll struggle against Brisbane.

Chin up, at least we're not as much of an injury basket case as the Eagles.

It's a horrendous season in terms of injuries and the flow on impacts to the team.
Losing Paddy, Tom, Rampe means we've lost size, speed, intercept marking and leadership down back just from them being out.
Then having Blackey as a key defender we lose his intercept marking and run and carry out of defence and delivery I50 and Lloyd/Florent are also negatively impacted.

Losing Reid, Amartey up front significantly weakens our pressure up front, our ability to take bail out marks on the wings and create mismatches up front and allows the opposition to intercept mark and rebound out of defence quickly.

Losing Hickey impacted our midfield who have to be conscious that the defence is significantly weakened and requires more support and our forward line is also significantly weaker and also requires more support.

All this is exacerbated by Papley, Heeney and Hayward having their most inaccurate seasons ever and Franklin getting on in years and required to play when limited.
And meanwhile, the good news….

McAndrew is on a hiding to nothing will be spat out by Goldstein it's up to Ladlams to do the majority of the work.
I like the McAndrew selection.. Yep he'll get monstered by Goldy, But,, Goldy will be the best ruck hes ever played against so its a great opportunity for McAndrew to learn - will be a good step forward in his development. In a very poor season we need as many steps forward as we can find

No, Goldstein will monster MCAndrew, Ladhams restores that balance and can rest forward as well….shame he can’t kick but that’s where we are I guess.
Exactly.. so don’t play mccandrew and play someone a bit more mobile, a Sheldrick in the middle for example.

ladhams/McLean ruck combo would be fine..

Didn't Gulden get it 39 times, Parker 27, Warner 25, Rowbottom 23?
What we lacked is the outlet runner & a plan for someone to distribute it when they did get it in congestion.
Yep, Hoyne (champion data stats man) summed it up well... 'Is it Talent, Injury or Method?'
Is our midfield to blame for poor forward output? and poor defence?? or is it vice-versa??? or is it a combination where all three lines are impacting each other????
eg.. When our mids are under pressure (Every midfield in in every game from every team is put under pressure) and we get the ball, a long kick down the line to a contest is a common play (by every teams midfield). At the moment, due to lack of forward marking options, we lose the contest and the oppo rebounds quickly putting the defence under pressure

So yep, we lack someone to distribute it to

Yep, Hoyne (champion data stats man) summed it up well... 'Is it Talent, Injury or Method?'
Is our midfield to blame for poor forward output? and poor defence?? or is it vice-versa??? or is it a combination where all three lines are impacting each other????
eg.. When our mids are under pressure (Every midfield in in every game from every team is put under pressure) and we get the ball, a long kick down the line to a contest is a common play (by every teams midfield). At the moment, due to lack of forward marking options, we lose the contest and the oppo rebounds quickly putting the defence under pressure

So yep, we lack someone to distribute it to
That's where someone like Stephens can come in handy. Like a Lloyd or late career McVeigh - chipping it about while maintaining forward momentum until they are in a position to deliver it to a lead.

Yeah much ado about nothing IMO.

Second-year player with a lot to work on not getting selected is hardly earth-shattering.
It’s a bit shattering for ol’ DQ, purely because I was really looking forward to him effectively debuting (until he’s in the mids, it feels like he hasn’t REALLY played his first game).

But I do like the Stephens “in”, and McAndrew will be interesting.

And I get to watch the VFL and tell you all why he should have been selected after getting another 40 disposals 😋

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back