Opinion Out of all these young guys, who will make it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto - it’s bold, reckless prediction time.

Time to go out on a stupid limb & set myself up for mockery in future years.

Future of our recent draftees:

Sheldrick: will become a top-tier inside mid. 200+ gamer. Wins club B&F.

Roberts: a Craig Bird style career awaits. A good player, but somehow always on the fringes. 100 - 150 game range.

Corey Warner: surprises by developing as a quality half-back. 100 - 150 game range.

Konstanty: doesn’t ever quite get enough pill to make a genuine impact & struggles to become a regular in the firsts. 50 - 100 games.

Vickery: good VFL player but can’t make the leap to AFL. <10 games.

Caleb Mitchell: late bloomer who becomes a powerful outside mid. 100 - 150 games, but might not be for the Swans.

Will Green: ask me in 2026. Not even I’m going to make a prediction here.

Caiden Cleary: eventually becomes a regular in the firsts, playing the Fosdike role - not spectacular but a very effective workhorse. 150 - 200 games.

Patrick Snell: develops in the VFL, but doesn’t manage to crack into the AFL side. <10 games.

None of the mid season draftees make a significant impact.

If I had to re-rank that group listed on the first page, based on how they've turned out, I'm going with:

1. Robbie Fox. 87 games and a BOG performance in a grand final (from a Swans perspective) is a pretty good innings for a rookie drafted at age 24.
2. Jordan Dawson. Obviously a very, very good player, but it's not much good if he's doing it for a South Australian side.
3. Aliir Aliir. Obviously a very, very good player, but it's not much good if he's doing it for a South Australian side.
4. Ollie Florent
5. Nic Newman
6. Will Hayward
7. Sam Naismith
8. Harry Marsh
9. Jordan Foote
10. James Rose

Righto - it’s bold, reckless prediction time.

Time to go out on a stupid limb & set myself up for mockery in future years.

Future of our recent draftees:

Sheldrick: will become a top-tier inside mid. 200+ gamer. Wins club B&F.

Roberts: a Craig Bird style career awaits. A good player, but somehow always on the fringes. 100 - 150 game range.

Corey Warner: surprises by developing as a quality half-back. 100 - 150 game range.

Konstanty: doesn’t ever quite get enough pill to make a genuine impact & struggles to become a regular in the firsts. 50 - 100 games.

Vickery: good VFL player but can’t make the leap to AFL. <10 games.

Caleb Mitchell: late bloomer who becomes a powerful outside mid. 100 - 150 games, but might not be for the Swans.

Will Green: ask me in 2026. Not even I’m going to make a prediction here.

Caiden Cleary: eventually becomes a regular in the firsts, playing the Fosdike role - not spectacular but a very effective workhorse. 150 - 200 games.

Patrick Snell: develops in the VFL, but doesn’t manage to crack into the AFL side. <10 games.

None of the mid season draftees make a significant impact.
Bold perhaps but not so reckless.
I have hopes for Green. Very early days of course but I can see him following on from Grundy if his body holds up.
With Amartey's hammies being an issue Buller might do OK.
Hard to see Arnold forging a career, or Magor.
Edwards it's make or break year. He has all the physical tools, it depends if he can become a real player.
Otherwise I agree, near enough.

I'm surprised about the lack of support for Jack Hiscox.
He was fast.
I'm sure about this because there's a poster here who told me so.

James Rose - Spud soon to be delisted.
Jordan Foote - Spud soon to be delisted.
Will Hayward - STAR and stay at Sydney.
Oliver Florent - Average player, will be traded, meh.
Nic Newman - Average player will be the next Marsh/Laidler honest type.
Harrison Marsh - Average, will be traded for opportunity elsewhere.
Jordan Dawson - Spud soon to be delisted.
Sam Naismith - Honest average player, stays with Swans. Staffordesque.
Aliir Aliir - STAR and stays at sydney. Makes AA team.
Robbie Fox - Spud soon to be delisted.
Dirty on myself for Dawson and Fox, pretty happy with my other calls though!

James Rose Less than 25 games
Jordan Foote Less than 25 games
Will Hayward 175-250
Oliver Florent 150-200
Nic Newman 200-300
Harrison Marsh 100-150
Jordan Dawson 50-75
Sam Naismith 175-200
Aliir Aliir 200-300
Robbie Fox 175-250

I did it based on games alone so it’s hard to know yet but shocking call on Dawson. Absolutely butchered it.

But you'll struggle to find anyone with more accurate projections than yourself, great eye for talent. Dawson caught us all by surprise.
Trawling my memory I recall that at that time Dawson wasn't working all that hard. Bursts of brilliance for sure but a fair bit of coasting through games too. I think that later he admitted to it as well. I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, but DA still isn't living up to his name.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow some truly terrible calls on the first few pages of this thread.

I think the opinion on Dawson changed quickly too as I remember Swans fans being huge on him before supporters of any other club had ever heard of him.
Yes, he had played first grade for Sturt in the SANFL & did really well. I know many South Australians who recognised his talent & I know Crows & Port fans who were pissed off he got picked up by us.

I remember a preseason game in his first year and it was wet. Raining.
He kicked this 70 metre bomb for goal and it landed in a puddle about 5 metres out dead centre of goal and stopped.

I knew then we had someone.
he hit the post with a second kick just as long. It was a howling gale & the ball was actually going backward if you kicked it in the opposite direction.

I remember a preseason game in his first year and it was wet. Raining.
He kicked this 70 metre bomb for goal and it landed in a puddle about 5 metres out dead centre of goal and stopped.

I knew then we had someone.

yeah, pretty sure the first game i twigged to him was in a preseason swamp, i remember he always seemed classy, like he had time with the ball ... and i always had the idea he covered a lot of ground in that game ...
always liked dawson ... annoyingly, i still do

Trawling my memory I recall that at that time Dawson wasn't working all that hard. Bursts of brilliance for sure but a fair bit of coasting through games too. I think that later he admitted to it as well. I wouldn't get too hung up on it.
when Dawson first came, they played him in the role he played for Sturt. Then HB. But what he really excelled at was the centre position. He is a mid. Always has been. One whole season in the reserves, where he should have played seniors, he dominated games. I can remember one game at Showgrounds. GWS, who had a pretty good team that day, Patton, Whitfield & a couple of other senior players. he was playing mainly forward & had a couple of goals. But went into the guts for the first bounce after half time. He got the first of 10 clearances for the quarter. His delivery was superb and he got free all quarter. I don't have a clue how many disposals but it must have been about 15. He kicked another 2 goals one 65 metre bomb from the flank when the GWS player didn't see fit to man the mark, big mistake. We were down at half time by 3 & led at 3/4 time by 4 or 5. We blew them apart in the last. There were plenty of players who are now playing seniors at many clubs playing for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back