AFL Autopsy Round 6: 38 Point loss to Melbourne

Hold me?

• I got you bro!

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Eww gross.

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't been to a game in ages and have not sat behind the goals in years - at times I felt I was actually on the wing as the ball was being switched from wing to wing constantly in front of me.

Not the best game to take my 7yo to for her first exposure :(

I felt we couldn't possibly play that poorly for the whole game, that we were not that bad - I was wrong. Never mind, there is always next week. I am an eternal optimist.

However by far the worst part of the experience was the behaviour of a few of the Essendon fans. McKenna was a significant target as were Melksham and Daniher, I will forgive some trash talk if it it is humorous but it was not even that. Many players from both teams copped it, one spectator even drew the attention of Jack Watts with a bizarre rant about him having an armchair ride in a crap team and looking a better player by comparison (on purpose?). Watts laughed disbelievingly and jogged away. There was also a Melbourne fan who let fly with a few C-words.

I confess I gave my 7 yo my phone and earphones so she could play games instead, I had hoped she would enjoy the atmosphere but in the end was happy for her to avoid it.

Extremely distasteful from the bomber fans to boo hibberd and melksham. Disappointing
I didn't think there was that much booing for either player. There was a little bit but i generally thought the Essendon crowd was quite respectful to both players.

Not really. Melbourne are a much better team than Carlton.

Oh come on, don't give me that bolony. Melbourne to their own admission were as big a comedy show as us in the 1st half....s**t we actually gave them enough opportunity in the end that eventually they took it. Carlton actually outplayed us from go to wo.

Oh come on, don't give me that bolony. Melbourne to their own admission were as big a comedy show as us in the 1st half....s**t we actually gave them enough opportunity in the end that eventually they took it. Carlton actually outplayed us from go to wo.
How is it boloney?

Melbourne are a much better team than Carlton. That is fact.

They utterly outplayed us in the second half.

It's concerning that so many blokes look like they are in desperate need of a rest and we haven't even travelled to Perth yet.

I maintain Jobe should have been rested for today's game, and I really struggle to think he should be made to play next week too.

Zaharakis is currently running as poorly as I can remember him playing tbh. The number of times today where he actively ran further towards the boundary instead of first looking through the corridor shows his mindset is completely different to usual.

McGrath is ridiculously important to us already, which is great and kind of very super depressing.

On the booing, only a few times did I notice it but it didn't seem like a hate filled boo that we sometimes see at the footy, it was more like we are booing you for wearing the other jumper but its okay we don't hate you kind of booing.

It's concerning that so many blokes look like they are in desperate need of a rest and we haven't even travelled to Perth yet.

I maintain Jobe should have been rested for today's game, and I really struggle to think he should be made to play next week too.

Zaharakis is currently running as poorly as I can remember him playing tbh. The number of times today where he actively ran further towards the boundary instead of first looking through the corridor shows his mindset is completely different to usual.

McGrath is ridiculously important to us already, which is great and kind of very super depressing.

In hindsight we should have rested half a dozen guys for the Adelaide match then guys like Kelly and Jobe and a few others wouldn't have been hit by the short turnaround.

What is our winning % at Etihad since going there as home ground compared to the MCG?
Can we ask to have the G as our home ground again? Gil will be OK with that won't he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude but is that lack of respect for Watts perhaps attributable to Neeld? He didn't rate Jack as a forward when he was at Melbourne and played him off a HB flank instead

Have no idea but when Melbourne is down a ruck and Hogan, that means Watts is more important than ever.

our selection committee is making some fairly obvious errors.
Jobe wasn't needed in Adelaide. Nor required after a 5 day break when Myers did well in his VFL return. And how Kelly needs a rest and Jobe doesn't?

Hartley is our best spoiling defender. Yet he sits out. Casboult, Walker and Watts go to town on us. We're lucky Collingwood don't have an effective 2nd tall forward.
I do not see what Brown or Dea provide us defensively.

We freed Joey up to play his natural game with 2 other tall forwards last week (Hooker & Francis). We don't replace that and all of a sudden he is taking set shots instead of wheeling around his man.

Howlett has come in twice now and given us little. Langford is a goal kicker. He may lack intensity and still be learning the ropes, but the last year and a bit has put runs on the board as a goal threat. He may drift in and out, as a young player will, but we don't score enough to give up his goals.

Zaka. Once my melbourne mates were comfortable they were going to win the talk turned to what has happened to Zaka. He is a shadow of the player who started last year. Give him some time in the VFL, or even a week or two away from the game, to regain the confidence. His best is too good not to have out there.

i get we are transitioning players back & still developing the squad chemistry.
I am seriously puzzled by some of the selection decisions we make.

Have no idea why people want Brown and Mckenna out of the team - Brown was solid again and did his job - Mckenna showed some exciting glimpses of play and is progressing well.

our selection committee is making some fairly obvious errors.
Jobe wasn't needed in Adelaide. Nor required after a 5 day break when Myers did well in his VFL return. And how Kelly needs a rest and Jobe doesn't?

Hartley is our best spoiling defender. Yet he sits out. Casboult, Walker and Watts go to town on us. We're lucky Collingwood don't have an effective 2nd tall forward.
I do not see what Brown or Dea provide us defensively.

We freed Joey up to play his natural game with 2 other tall forwards last week (Hooker & Francis). We don't replace that and all of a sudden he is taking set shots instead of wheeling around his man.

Howlett has come in twice now and given us little. Langford is a goal kicker. He may lack intensity and still be learning the ropes, but the last year and a bit has put runs on the board as a goal threat. He may drift in and out, as a young player will, but we don't score enough to give up his goals.

Zaka. Once my melbourne mates were comfortable they were going to win the talk turned to what has happened to Zaka. He is a shadow of the player who started last year. Give him some time in the VFL, or even a week or two away from the game, to regain the confidence. His best is too good not to have out there.

i get we are transitioning players back & still developing the squad chemistry.
I am seriously puzzled by some of the selection decisions we make.

Woosha himself has said he is still working out the best 22 and it might take to midseason but your points are clear, I guess sometimes you need someone to miss a game to see what they bring and today Langford might have been handy, with Francis, he struggled to run ANZAC day out so he only missed for that and should be back in this week.

I don't understand the love for Hartley - Has a great fist on him, but is suspect in one on one battles which is exacerbated by his lack of attacking play - Seems to be if you can fist the ball 20 metres you must be in the team.

Ive always rated Watts. Playing Dea was a mistake. Hartley would cover Watts defensively. I don't see what Dea brings.
He does some nice things. But i would prefer a defender who smothers his opponent.

Hartley would be a poor match-up on Watts - I can understand the rationale behind Dea playing on Watts as you need a mobile tall defender - Dea was giving away too much height and strength - Hurley or Brown should have played on Watts.

we should. We have outgrown it. So many games are ticketed.
Only ANZAC day and maybe Dreamtime are fully-ticketed, but we only get one or the other of those as our home game each year and they're both held at the 'G. Our opening round was an exception due to high demand, and it was likewise held at the MCG. In the end it didn't sell out anyway.

Haven't seen a second of today but not surprised. We are an ordinary side while Melbourne will be nudging the 8.

There are just so many holes in our 22 its not funny.

How can you enter a review thread if you haven't watched any of the game - This seems to be the way on too many sporting forums, one which stops reasoned debate - Posters need more self discipline.

Woosha himself has said he is still working out the best 22 and it might take to midseason but your points are clear, I guess sometimes you need someone to miss a game to see what they bring and today Langford might have been handy, with Francis, he struggled to run ANZAC day out so he only missed for that and should be back in this week.
agree with resting Francis. 5 days and his fitness levels would not have been ideal to risk.
Langford, Begley, Stewart or McKernan could have played the role.
Hartley would be a poor match-up on Watts - I can understand the rationale behind Dea playing on Watts as you need a mobile tall defender - Dea was giving away too much height and strength - Hurley or Brown should have played on Watts.
I disagree. Dea v Hartley is a no brainer for mine. He'd be fine on Watts with a defensive structure around him. Which we had with Hurley, Brown and co. But he certainly wouldn't be outmuscled or marked by Watts. And he's got a long, accurate boot on him. Far better than what Dea served up coming out of defence.

agree with resting Francis. 5 days and his fitness levels would not have been ideal to risk.
Langford, Begley, Stewart or McKernan could have played the role.

I disagree. Dea v Hartley is a no brainer for mine. He'd be fine on Watts with a defensive structure around him. Which we had with Hurley, Brown and co. But he certainly wouldn't be outmuscled or marked by Watts. And he's got a long, accurate boot on him. Far better than what Dea served up coming out of defence.

Watts would have out-run and out-smarted Hartley - Watts plays more of a high forward role, while Hartley plays on the last line of defence - A poor match up.

I think Watts is a bit underrated, sure the guy was a spud for a while but he has started to take his game up a few levels since early years, he is a bit like the Melbourne FC, really struggled when the team struggled but is now playing good solid footy in a good team.

Back