Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt the same way about that draft.

Goddard at 19, quality young key defender because we desperately needed one.

Blakely at 27, didn't think he would last this long but went later. Was incredibly sharp around the clearances, released other players into space.

I'm not sure l will ever get over this draft. Ballsed up an excellent draft. Every time l watch freo with Blakely it grates on me.

Last years selections were excellent and shows we have moved forward.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Meh, Goddard is overrated. Lumbers around like a ruckman and apparently hasn't done all that good at VFL level, I wouldn't mind Blakely though.

The real mess up in all that to me is the decision in the first place to trade down pick 7.

Hope we target a big bodied mid with athleticism. I know they aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but an Ollie Wines/Pepper-Powell/Martin type who is a big body that can also run outside would be ideal.

Meh, Goddard is overrated. Lumbers around like a ruckman and apparently hasn't done all that good at VFL level, I wouldn't mind Blakely though.

The real mess up in all that to me is the decision in the first place to trade down pick 7.
We basically traded two metre Peter for KJ and Boekhorst. Dear oh dear

Hope we draft a mid that's inside but has pace as well. Still a bit slow in middle and you can never have too many pacy good midfielders so even if Cunningham and SPS move into the middle some more class and pace in there wouldn't hurt

Hope we target a big bodied mid with athleticism. I know they aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but an Ollie Wines/Pepper-Powell/Martin type who is a big body that can also run outside would be ideal.
Of the three you've named, only Martin really gives genuine (and consistent) outside run. Darcy Fogarty would be the guy.

It will be interest to see how the champs go because at the moment all of the top picks seem to have flaws.
Not all of them, they just don't perfectly suit our needs, which is a different thing. Luke Davies-Uniacke is probably the closest match for us but it depends what pick we end up with.

I reckon you're right - too early to take with our first but unlikely to be around for our 2nd - not that we currently have one. I reckon at this early stage Knightmare has him pegged around the right mark

Without the benefit being able to watch live U18 games I went back and watched last years U17 allstars match held on GF day and he dominated - if I had to equate him to current AFL players, he actually moved and reminded me of Gresham - finding the pill at U18 level is certainly not one of his issues, may be more of a fwd mid at next level rather than mid or mid fwd but time will tell

We dont have a 2nd.

Of the three you've named, only Martin really gives genuine (and consistent) outside run. Darcy Fogarty would be the guy.

Really like him as a prospect, reads the ruck tap really well, looks composed in heavy traffic, kicks right and left foot to a pretty good standard and can play both as forward and mid.
Would give us more fire power up forward and also add another contested beast to our midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Fogarty is our man already a 192cm wrecking machine could reach 194/5 by draft time, just imagine him interchanging with Cripps.
Good skills can play in multiple postions.
He's in the Stringer mound, just hope Silvagni & Brodie call out his name.

Said this in another thread but I haven't been overly impressed by Fogarty, the feeling that I get is that he's able to dominate because he's so much bigger than his peers. Looks like Tom Hawkins would if he played in midfield.

On the other hand, I like Rayner very much, almost the complete package.

Honestly, if the only knock on a potential draftee was their endurance, that shouldn't influence ones decision.

Easily fixable.

Said this in another thread but I haven't been overly impressed by Fogarty, the feeling that I get is that he's able to dominate because he's so much bigger than his peers. Looks like Tom Hawkins would if he played in midfield.
Same thing could have been said about Cripps.

Fogarty's got more about him at the same age, and arguably a better short burst. Dangerous prospect if he can get lean.

Back