Scandal Vickery and King: Victoria Police investigating AFL players over extortion, threats to kill & injure

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasnt been paid back and refuses to pay back. And why was it taken anyway?

So you are owed $100k and the guy refuses to pay.

You keep calm and composed after the cops tell you to go away?
if you're earning $500k a year as a prominent sports person, * yeah you do. You certainly don't go organising for him to be threatened.

It's a 5th of his annual salary. It's like $15-20k to the average joe

You very clearly insinuated Martin and King were the two people in question here - which has already been proven incorrect.

We must have a very different interpretation of the term "on the money". Generally I associate that to be something which is correct - not something completely made up and false. But hey, each to their own I guess.

I haven't thrown any insults your way, nor will I - suffice to say you're not to be believed and your intent here isn't anything more than to troll.

Is that you Dusty

Even if Vickery was charged, it would be easy to be his lawyer.

Your Honour, I submit my client is guilty only of having a history of making bad decisions. Further, he has a history of often handpassing tricky problems to his associate Mr King.

What proof do you have of this?

I submit video evidence of his last 125 games.

Release the Defendant

:D

I almost feel sorry for the Hawks. Possibly the worst acquisition in AFL history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you're earning $500k a year as a prominent sports person, **** yeah you do. You certainly don't go organising for him to be threatened.

It's a 5th of his annual salary. It's like $15-20k to the average joe
But he's paying about 50% tax over 180K, so that 100K he's lost works out to about a third of his take home salary, nothing to sneeze at.

I almost feel sorry for the Hawks. Possibly the worst acquisition in AFL history.

Nah...Stephen O' Reilly to Carlton

Posted by Weaver.

Worst trade ever?

That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for you. AND you had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on you. AND you had to pay a fine. AND you got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that your mulit-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players.

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft.

But he's paying about 50% tax over 180K, so that 100K he's lost works out to about a third of his take home salary, nothing to sneeze at.
well not really, because it would presumably be earnings that would also be taxed at just as high a rate, in fact higher given he'd only have the tax free thresh hold on his main job.

In fact, wasn't it money he "believed stolen from his restaurant business"? If that's the case, it's not even $100k that it his, it is his businesses money. That means it would be liable to business taxation before even having any chance of being distributed as income. $100k of revenue is a very different matter to someone losing $100k of actual money that is their own earnings or what have you.

In any case, the point is that he's an extremely high earning person and as a businessman sometimes you just have to write bad investments down - not try and unsink them with ludicrous tactics like this

well not really, because it would presumably be earnings that would also be taxed at just as high a rate, in fact higher given he'd only have the tax free thresh hold on his main job.

In fact, wasn't it money he "believed stolen from his restaurant business"? If that's the case, it's not even $100k that it his, it is his businesses money. That means it would be liable to business taxation before even having any chance of being distributed as income. $100k of revenue is a very different matter to someone losing $100k of actual money that is their own earnings or what have you.

In any case, the point is that he's an extremely high earning person and as a businessman sometimes you just have to write bad investments down - not try and unsink them with ludicrous tactics like this
Many a footballer are not businessmen, many a footballer have been fleeced

zero tolerance for turds who work for you and steal your money. I've worked in debt collection and also sued to get a business debt repaid to my company. TBH it was a waste of time and money. My lawyer said it doesn't matter if you are right its what we can prove. 30k later and no court date in sight I cut my losses.

people getting a visit is a lot more common than some think. My opinion of Tyrone has risen after this.

Maybe he's had to thow in 100K of his own money to the business? We don't know. Businesses such as restaurants are normally set up in a way so that they provide benefits to the owners but pay very little tax. I was just making the point that the 100K was probably worth a bit more than what you were making out.

But as you say, sometimes it's better just to write it off and move on. ATO may also take an interest now that questionable practises have come to light. Vickery also now in a delicate situation on several fronts. Also chances are there is more to the whole story than just 100K being nicked.

Maybe he's had to thow in 100K of his own money to the business? We don't know. Businesses such as restaurants are normally set up in a way so that they provide benefits to the owners but pay very little tax. I was just making the point that the 100K was probably worth a bit more than what you were making out.

But as you say, sometimes it's better just to write it off and move on. ATO may also take an interest now that questionable practises have come to light. Vickery also now in a delicate situation on several fronts. Also chances are there is more to the whole story than just 100K being nicked.
well my only point is that $100k to someone earning 5 x that, irrespective of tax, is different to $100k to someone earning what the average joe is earning; which is kind of what the poster I was replying to was implying. That being, if you had $100k ripped off you, wouldn't you do something similar?

I'm not saying $100k is nothing to even someone like Vickery, but it's not as big a deal as it would be to you and I, surely. And that's not to mention the points we've both discussed around the goddamn stupidity of doing anything like this as a prominent person.

$100k. Seriously. Is that worth someone being beaten over? Or threats to kill? * no, $100k is chicken feed in the larger scheme of things. His business probably turns over 10 x that much in a year

$100k. Seriously. Is that worth someone being beaten over? Or threats to kill? **** no, $100k is chicken feed in the larger scheme of things. His business probably turns over 10 x that much in a year
Agree. But we don't know the full story, there's normally more to things than what you read in the paper. Maybe King took things a lot further than Vickery wanted? And to some people it's not about the money, it's about the principle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back