Autopsy Geelong defeated by Swans by 46 points..

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats tell the whole story unfortunately, 100 more uncontested possessions from indecisively chipping it around. Getting thumped by 8 goals just isn't on when you win the inside 50s.

It's also become apparent that Sydney are our kryptonite, as well as teams that can actually play first quarters.

That said I couldn't think of a better team to be playing next week, hopefully we thump Richmond and Dusty gets 10 touches and a fine.

Jesus christ we had 6 players under 20 against seasoned men. Yes I was harsh on Sam, but he missed two gettable goals. Yes am emotional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our structure against the Swans just doesnt work, to credit we did change at Q time and did hold the swans but some of the errors by certain players kill us time and again, our stoppages need major work as we got smashed again and we need our best players out on the park to have any chance in finals otherwise we are cooked

Alarm bells are ringing, sirens are wailing, we're in a world of pain after being dismantled yet again by Sydney.

An all too familiar scenario; out-muscled and out-hustled early on, periods where we looked to be dragging ourselves back into the contest before a clinical Sydney side take the game out of our hands.

Some d!ckhead opposition supporter posed the question in the gameday thread as to how this Geelong team could possibly be 2nd on the ladder - the answer is obvious; it has become a diluted, crap competition where any half-decent team can rack up enough wins to qualify for finals.
We're a half-decent team - but for this iteration of Geelong to be in contention at this time of year is an indictment on the competition as a whole; the Geelong team of 2007 would destroy this year's model.

Our only saving grace is that a) we might still avoid Sydney in the finals, and b) just about every other team is as flaky and prone to wild fluctuations in form as we are.

In an attempt to take a somewhat balanced view, we were well below full strength tonight - I'm loathe to use injuries as an excuse but once Joel Selwood was hobbled we hit a tipping point where we simply didn't have enough AFL-standard players to impact the game.
Wylie Buzza tries hard, has improved a heap and has earned his retention on the list for next year and hopefully beyond; but he was out of inspiration and legs tonight.
I liked Sam Simpson's efforts a lot, but he is dangerously light-on.
Zac Guthrie looked way out of his depth tonight.

Jordan Murdoch showed his true level the past couple of weeks; a great game against the lowly Blues followed by a very quiet game against a relative contender in Sydney = the better the opposition, the worse he plays.

Positives?

Jackson Thurlow played easily his best game for the year; still didn't have a huge impact but got involved a lot more than he has previously. He's had a tough return from his 2016 knee injury as many cautioned pre-season. Worth persisting with if only for his above average footskills.

Scott Selwood played a decent game and Menegola, despite some horrible misses, chipped in too. Duncan got plenty of the ball and I felt for him conceding that goal in the 4th quarter; I don't often comment on the umpires but that was soft and his opponent is a weak prick.

I reckon we'll flog Richmond next week, and yet it all seems so similar and familiar to the past couple of seasons that I sometimes just feel like we're going through the motions.

Last edited:
and menzel and motlop and cocky and mcarthy. basically our whole forward line. and then missing all our players ranked 22-33 from our list so we are left playing three rookies and on top of that we played Buzza.

Too much logic!

Not for the first time, there are a few players we perceive as very good who get utterly exposed against quality teams. That goes for Guthrie, Scott Selwood (tries hard and tackles well but no impact), Menegola, and Tuohy.

To state the obvious, anyone who thinks Buzza offers more than Stanley is absolutely dreaming.

Tough On Touhy, but agree with the rest.

Half the side are body surfers, waiting for tide and waves that Joel and Paddy bring to the fore.

If we had depth, there's no way Cam would be getting a game at present. He's in woeful form and looks completely shot mentally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a division vibe from the guys tonight, not working for each other, undiscipled and generally un Geelong like, i wonder if there are some issues behind the scenes, do Motlop and Menzel have something to do with it, either way they need to sort it out.

Last edited:
Liked the games of Smith, Stewart, lonergan, menegola, Duncan ok, Hawkins ok but can he make more leads please.Selwood's and tuohy tried. Glimpses from little Guthrie and Simpson.
Dreadful game from taylor, Mackie, hendo-ordinary-so they that makes it hard.
Goal kicking needs to improve-has cost us at important times a fair bit this year.
We are not a great team but we are not that bad. Have to sort the Sydney thing.

Ha Ha this is unbelievable

"We need to stop this so enough is enough". Give them both a week or two. Oh well bad luck Geelong that again all year players have been let off we need some examples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back