Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds OK, but where's the ruck relief?
Guess we can use Jones, but just not sure that's a good idea. Actually, I've changed my mind; It's not a good idea.

Plenty of other teams have made make shift back up ruckmen work.

McKay though is the obvious one with his height but that's more long term.

Wouldn't be that bothered if we tried someone like Weitering or Curnow as the ruck relief. Tigers and dogs have had some success using midfielders.

There are way too many numpties on this forum with way too much time on their hands which forces them to come up with ludicrous and illogical ideas that they expect the club will follow through on.

Trade away Marc Murphy ........

Trade away Jacob Weitering .......

Levi Casboult is too valuable to us for him to leave ......

I'm all for some lateral thinking but FFS, can we get dose of realism to go with these ideas please ??

There are way too many numpties on this forum with way too much time on their hands which forces them to come up with ludicrous and illogical ideas that they expect the club will follow through on.

I'm all for some lateral thinking but FFS, can we get dose of realism to go with these ideas please ??

Possible the greatest post i have ever read couldn't agree more.

Weiters is surplus to our needs.

Disagrees. I'm still disappointed in his defensive efforts last week but far from surplus. Really all he needs to do is harden the * up.

He needs to reinvent himself as a Nick Rooey type where he gets all over the ground if he's to be worth that number one pick title.

Really think Charlie Curnow is the next evolution of the Nick Riewoldt type. Too tall, strong, and too much of a contesting marker for smalls. Far too quick and agile for bigger defenders. He's going to be a nightmare match up. Now if Weitering can be a second of that type then that'll cause headaches for opposition defenses.

I find him hard not to like.

Maybe history will remember the numbers, but hopefully the CFC remembers the player and the value Thomas brought around the club.
I think Daisy might be a positive bloke...but his contract, the relationship with Malthouse, did he ever win us a game? I would say his contract and lack of game impact divided the playing group and is an effective cheerleader at best. Experiment over. He is in the papers wanting another contract. Carlton would get more value by hiring another coach on a tenth of a wage. Nothing divides a group quicker than an underperforming pet. No slight on the man, great attitude but he is the highest paid trainer in the AFL. Player/captain of the NB's on $30 grand would be what I would consider value. I dont want my opinion to diminish the obvious respect some of you have though, I would concede my insight is limited to match day coverage.

Well if Cas goes, don't bother replacing him with Redpath or the like.
Send Weitering forward....permanently.
Load up with skilled mids.
Exactly do not see the sense in Cas leaving and bringing in a tall from somewhere else . We have an abundance of tall backman lets use them and bank the compensation for Cas if he leaves .

Weitering is surplus to our needs. :rolleyes:

I've heard it all now!

Yeah I don't get how anyone could rationally come to that conclusion by looking at our current list, age profile and when we are next likely to be seriously contending.

We've finally essembled a backline that can carry us for the next 10+ years (minus a good small defender.) Now lets start selling off pieces to make a better midfield for next year.

That kind of thinking is more synonymous with the Carlton of old and as much as I'd like Kelly I will be shocked if we go down this path to get him.

Weitering is surplus to our needs. :rolleyes:

I've heard it all now!
Wasnt this what was said about Tuohy last year ? Not promoting Weitering for trade but if you go by what we did with Tuohy last year it makes sense doesnt it ? We have a need in the midfield and are abundant in key backman ? .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagrees. I'm still disappointed in his defensive efforts last week but far from surplus. Really all he needs to do is harden the **** up.

Now if Weitering can be a second of that type then that'll cause headaches for opposition defenses.

Agree, he really needs to toughen up but also needs to care more. I haven't forgotten how he had Cockatoo and just let him go and stroll in for a goal.

I don't see him becoming a forward though. Bolts has made it clear that he plans to use him as a swingman. That tells me that we'll see him play forward on the odd occasion when needed.

Plenty of other teams have made make shift back up ruckmen work.
McKay though is the obvious one with his height but that's more long term.
Wouldn't be that bothered if we tried someone like Weitering or Curnow as the ruck relief. Tigers and dogs have had some success using midfielders.

You may well be right. I'm just not so sure that's going to be the way to go, going forwards.
I guess if we had more quality mids around the ball, it may not matter as much.....I'm not sure.

It's a pity that Phiilips has been injured. I feel that many here don't rate him. I'm just not one of them, as I see that he'd have plenty to offer.

I seem to read that a lot on this board ;)

Just seems to reiterate that no one can come up with a viable option for the next year or 2

People have come up with viable options. You just don't agree with them and hence call them not viable.

Rowe is one guy who can ruck as well. Not as good a contested mark, but we know he will give it everything he's got unlike Levi who demands 4 years but doesn't chase when the game is on the line against our arch rivals.

Redpath is rumoured to be a target. We'll soon find out if that's true but if it is, it goes to show SOS is looking for other options so what would that tell you about Levi?

That sounds OK, but where's the ruck relief?
Guess we can use Jones, but just not sure that's a good idea. Actually, I've changed my mind; It's not a good idea.
As much as I don't like the idea, I suppose its Harry M.
I don't think we can play Krueze and Phillips in the same team.

Killing it?

You've got to give JW more time to prove himself.

I'm with you regarding his soft attitude at times but you have to consider he has been moved around a bit and for a player in only his second season it is very difficult to get consistency in your game when that happens.

Don't forget he did his shoulder last year in desperation to stop the junkies from scoring a goal.

We can get Kelly without losing JW. Pick #1/2 is worth it.

Sooner than calling people names, why not challenge the ideas?

If a situation arose that Murphy+ could be released for Kelly and we don't lose a premium first rounder, would you do it?
Is that worthy of discussion or we just shut it down because of ones personal incredulity?

We won't be trading Weitering, but we may find ourselves with a surplus of KPD's. Then what?
One always has to be looking to trade to advantage in order to best balance the list. That seems somewhat obvious to me.
If the back-line was in perfect function without one or two of our KPD'ers, do we not look at trading one of those players out, for a specific need?
If not, why not?

Sooner than calling people names, why not challenge the ideas?

If a situation arose that Murphy+ could be released for Kelly and we don't lose a premium first rounder, would you do it?
Is that worthy of discussion or we just shut it down because of ones personal incredulity?

We won't be trading Weitering, but we may find ourselves with a surplus of KPD's. Then what?
One always has to be looking to trade to advantage in order to best balance the list. That seems somewhat obvious to me.
If the back-line was in perfect function without one or two of our KPD'ers, do we not look at trading one of those players out, for a specific need?
If not, why not?

How would you see us getting Kelly by trading Murphy whilst holding on to our premium first rounder?

Let's give JW a chance first, 2 years is definitely not enough. If he develops into the gun we expect him to over the next 2-3 years then it's a huge win. If he doesn't, then the potential is still there and other clubs will still offer a lot to get him across. We have a lot more to gain by being patient with him vs not.

If our backline is able to function perfectly without the need for all of our KPDs then of course they'll be looking for better opportunities and we'd be crazy not to shop them around.

:thumbsdown:

How would you see us getting Kelly by trading Murphy whilst holding on to our premium first rounder?

Let's give JW a chance first, 2 years is definitely not enough. If he develops into the gun we expect him to over the next 2-3 years then it's a huge win. If he doesn't, then the potential is still there and other clubs will still offer a lot to get him across. We have a lot more to gain by being patient with him vs not.

If our backline is able to function perfectly without the need for all of our KPDs then of course they'll be looking for better opportunities and we'd be crazy not to shop them around.

I've put it forward in detail, many times overs but in summary;
GWS will want ready made players.
If Gibbs was to go, they could get themselves our pick which they can convert to another player they need.
Salary dumping. They love and need to dump salary, which could allow them....a premium free agent?

There are many ways to skin a cat. SOS has shown that he knows how to press all the right buttons, so why not do it one more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back