Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why!
Probably finals football

And he'll play second fiddle to Selwood, Danger, Guthrie, Duncan and a couple of others - much like he is doing at GWS.
If he comes to Carlton he'll team up with Cripps and play the role he is very good at - inside mid bull.

And he'll play second fiddle to Selwood, Danger, Guthrie, Duncan and a couple of others - much like he is doing at GWS.
If he comes to Carlton he'll team up with Cripps and play the role he is very good at - inside mid bull.

Agree plus I think we have more upside. Hopper has 10 years ahead of him and we are on the up for sustained success. I reckon Geelong have put all their eggs in one basket and need to win in the 2-3 years

They could, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. They're in an interesting predicament the Aints. McCartin isn't necessarily a lock with his form, development, concussion & diabetic issues, which means he's no guarantee to fill the hole left by Riewoldt. Yet to be convinced that Ross is going to be the dynamo he's threatened to become. They've had a number of high profile trades which have only worked out to be muddling at best. While steady, Carlisle hasn't really impacted the game as much as expected, but he has had a year out though. Steele has struggled to maintain his spot, while Freeman & Longer have essentially been non-events. Nathan Brown has been serviceable without starring and is no spring chicken. Ironically, it's been the lower profile trades of Koby Stevens and Dylan Roberton that have gone gangbusters for them.

Are the Saints two 1st Round Picks too much for Kelly??? I think their picks are. There's a very real chance that Picks 7 & 8, could net them 2 of Brander, Brayshaw, Naughton & Higgins of which any combination would certainly strengthen their list. For me, one of the biggest issues is that everyone equates a thin draft to a shit draft and that's not the case. I'd argue that the back end of this years 1st Round is easily as good as last years, if not better.

They might be tempted to trade Pick 8 (plus a swap of later picks if needed) for the Tigers two 1st Round Picks. I'd use the lower one to try to acquire Mitch McGovern and use the later one plus Pick 7 to acquire the best 2 mids I could get. To potentially come away with McGovern, Brayshaw and Worpel would be a handy result.

Ameet Bains certainly has some options to play with and nothing is certain, but imo they could do a lot worse than take those two picks to the draft.

Just dragged this post over to the List Management thread.

Reckon the Saints could well look at trading out some players and one I think could go is Acres.
Fremantle may be an easy sell and really don't think the Saints need him in their team.

I do though think that another backward step for St.Kilda next year would be just a little too painful.
Whether people think a lot of him or not, Reiwoldt is a loss. Montagna likely to retire and if he doesn't.....he really should.
Then who knows with McCartin? Can the Saints build around him? Could be too big a risk.

Just don't see the Saints putting all their eggs into the draft basket, as I don't think it will help them climb the ladder in the short term.
I know Saints are rejoicing for having that extra first this year, but it was at the expense of a top ten pick they could have had in the system for a year already (Yes, Steele was the bonus, but..)
That player could have been, Florent, Simpkin, Hayward, Powell-Pepper etc. People forget that they had to hand over their first (#10) last year.

Exit interviews usually start a day or two after the end of the season, if I recall.

Reckon several already know their fate and will be the first interviewed.

KJ, Galucci, JGM, Buckley will be the easy decisions for the list management

Graham, White & Daisy are the more difficult choices, Graham might have small amount of trade value but it would be minimal.

Then we have decision with Levi as to how much we are prepared to pay, i suspect SOS would be happy for him to go..

How much is too much for Josh Kelly?? I think most would happily hand over pick 3 but I suspect that wont be enough.. What is the going rate is pick 3 + 2018 1st round pick... Is one player worth sacrificing 2 potential guns for..

How much is too much for Josh Kelly?? I think most would happily hand over pick 3 but I suspect that wont be enough.. What is the going rate is pick 3 + 2018 1st round pick... Is one player worth sacrificing 2 potential guns for..

No.

Certainly wouldn't be giving up both our 2017 and 2018 1st round picks for Kelly alone. We'd have to get something else back as well.

I may be in the minority here but I enjoy seeing some people getting punched in the face!
In fact, I get a perverse pleasure out of punching people in the face myself (in a controlled environment of course)
Are we that politically correct that we can no longer mention the faces we wish to inflict pain upon?
I personally feel that I have unfinished business with Darren Bewick!........I have never met the man, but I have a dislike for him. If I see him in the street am I going to approach him and coward punch him? Absolutely not! But if he came to my gym and was looking for a sparring partner I would be the first to raise my hand!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have a real dilemma. If I was walking along and I came across
brad.jpg
And then I spotted
chris.jpg

I really dont know which one I would punch first

Can some one help me out here.

If we trade out Gibbs and Casboult (which I think is likely) and we get the Cows 1st rounder (18ish + a player) and a high compo pick for Casboult (fingers crossed) then I don't understand how we could contemplate keeping pick 3 if we are chasing Kelly. Then there is Hopper...how the hell can we afford him too?

Can someone show me a plausible scenario where we get both Kelly and Hopper and keep a first round pick let alone pick 3.

I am not being facetious, I honestly don't see how its possible.

Cheers,

TA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we trade out Gibbs and Casboult (which I think is likely) and we get the Cows 1st rounder (18ish + a player) and a high compo pick for Casboult (fingers crossed) then I don't understand how we could contemplate keeping pick 3 if we are chasing Kelly. Then there is Hopper...how the hell can we afford him too?

Can someone show me a plausible scenario where we get both Kelly and Hopper and keep a first round pick let alone pick 3.

Cheers,

TA

The only way we get Kelly and keep Pick 3 is if we trade next year's first rounder instead.

If you want to discuss it further though, head over to the List Management thread.

Cheers,

TA

The only plausible scenario would be that we let Kruezar go to free agency and get his compo, which would be band 1 ie pick 4. The chance of this happening would be extremely low. But if we were looking at it without the emotion then it would make sense for us to do it. You only need to look at the recent Boston v Cleveland maga trade in the NBA, The celtics were prepared to lose a franchise player in Isaiah Thomas who was too old to be in their title window for Kyrie Irving.. AFL clubs just dont have the forward and progressive cutthroat thinking that they have in the NBA.

Cheers,

TA
Adelaide acquire a first round pick from another club (Melb or Dogs) for Lever.
Adelaide send that pick & player to us for Gibbs.
We send one of our first rounders (now have 2) to GWS for Kelly after he nominates us.
We send 2nd round pick to GWS for Hopper if we want him.

I am not sold on Hopper myself.

Last edited:
We send one of our first rounders (now have 2) to GWS for Kelly after he nominates us.
We send 2nd roun pick to GWS for Hopper if we want him.

That would be something wouldn't it!

Get Kelly, Hopper and a player, with the chance of still getting Rayner.

That would be seriously good trading.

We send 2nd roun pick to GWS for Hopper if we want him.

What you are saying is that Gibbs is worth significantly more than Kelly.. Not sure GWS will see it the same way.

Long post incoming - player by player summary followed by my thoughts on list changes.

Silvagni (J)
A good development year for young SOS, notching up 20 games and spending some time down back to improve his craft. Not blessed with great speed or agility, he contributed 19 goals for the season through perseverance and smart play. With 17 behinds to his name as well, there’s certainly scope for improvement.

Murphy
After a full preseason, the skipper was able to play out all 22 rounds of the season in 2017 which I’m sure he and the club will be thrilled with. He came racing out of the blocks and was one of the form midfielders in the comp for the first third of the season. Without quite managing to sustain that formline for the whole year, he still averaged 29.8 touches per game and was the Blue most prolific accumulator. Contributed 11 goals himself, but just as importantly he registered 15 goal assists for the year.

Gibbs
Coming into the season with speculation about his dedication to the cause, Bryce Gibbs put the doubters in their place with an outstanding season of football highlighting his versatility as player. Ranked fourth at the club for disposals, second for tackles, and putting 17 goals on the board to boot. The spectre that is a move home to Adelaide will be a hot topic in the weeks to come, but it’s clear the club made a good decision in retaining Bryce for 2017 given the meagre returns on offer from Adelaide in 2016.

Petrevski-Seton
Considering his complete lack of pre-season form, it’s a huge testament to the character, ability and work ethic of this young man that he play in 20 out of 22 possible games in his debut year. Struggled to find the ball at times, but showed glimpses of the poise and class we can expect to see for years to come. Pleasingly, was ranked fifth at the club for tackles per game (4.8), and another off-season in the gym should be enough to see him move into a more midfield based role in 2018.

Simpson
The end is approaching for Kade Simpson, but it looks likely that he’ll see at least one more season in Navy Blue. Still finding plenty of the ball, and while at times his disposal left a bit to be desired he kept doing the insanely courageous things we’ve come to love him for. An absolute asset to the club in whatever role he chooses to play next year, and if the kids are overtaking him then we’ll know we’ve got some good ones coming through.

Buckley
A tough year for young (but not that young) Dylan. Was moved down back in the VFL side to improve his defensive game, but mediocre form meant he only managed the one senior appearance for the year. 8 disposals at 62% efficiency failed to impress the match committee, and it looks likely that this will be Dylan’s final season at the club.

Kreuzer
After supposedly failing a medical at another club last trade period, Kreuzer made a big statement this year with a tally of 21 games. If not for a biased media campaign in favour of an ex-drug cheat, he’d likely be well in the frame for an All-Australia guernsey this year. Shouldering the full ruck-load (with support from Levi) he averaged 31 hit-outs per game, but backed it up with 5.1 tackles as well.

Cripps

While his season ended prematurely, Patty Cripps lost no fans with a gruelling campaign in 2017. Playing through broken ribs, he still tallied almost 25 disposals per match, and led the club for clearances (6.7) and tackles (6) respectively. Spending a little more time in the forward 50, he also showed positive signs with some strong contested marking. Entering the off-season with a clean bill of health, he should be primed for a big 2018.

McKay
After battling his way through most of the year in the VFL, Harry was unfortunate to only manage two games at AFL level. In better news, he showed some freakish goal-sense in both games, and his agility looks top-shelf for a big man. Still very young and raw, but we can certainly expect to see more of him in the seniors in 2018.

Kerridge
Much-maligned for his suspect disposal, Kerridge looks to have steadily improved over the course of this season. It took injuries to Cripps and Curnow for him to get a good run at senior level, and for a depth midfielder he performed an important role for the club. Found plenty of the ball with 21.6 disposals per game, and applied defensive pressure through some good tackle numbers as well. Has absolutely done enough to keep his spot on the list for next year, but may once again be waiting on injuries before he gets his chance.

Boekhorst
Written off by most, Blaine may have just done enough to justify the club keeping him around a little longer. His VFL form was patchy, but the good looked very good at times and was enough to see him given a late run of games in the seniors. While he sometimes bit off a little more than he could chew, and at other times looked a little behind the pace of the game, he also showed how dangerous he could be around goals. 16 quality disposals and a goal a game is nothing to sneeze at for a winger, and a more attacking mindset from the team in 2018 may be just what Boekhorst needs to shine.

Lamb
Crlton has finally found its pest. Capped off a serviceable season with an outstanding defensive job on James Sicily. Probably needs to find ways to be more damaging, but as a small defender or defensive forward, he certainly has what it takes to be a reliable contributor.

Jones
He is risen again. A move down back in the VFL gave Liam Jones a new challenge, and injuries to Rowe and Alex Silvagni provided the opportunity he needed. The competition’s “Renaissance Man”, Jones blanketed some of the AFL’s best key forwards week after week, and may have become Carlton’s new cult hero. Got towelled up in the final round by Buddy Franklin, but he’s done more than enough to secure a starting 22 spot at full back for next season. Not surprising to see him top the list at the club for 1%ers, but 11 per game is an outstanding return for a player everyone had written off at the start of the year.

Docherty
The popular choice for Carlton’s next captain, Doc has had an AA-worthy season in 2017. He played every game of the season, and averaged a whopping 9 marks and 5.7 rebound 50’s per game for the year. While there are signs that he could move into the midfield in future, it’s hard to imagine the Blues backline without Sam Docherty as its General.

Smedts
After an injury-plagues year at Geelong, Smedts crossed to Carlton with very few expectations from the fan-base. He didn’t set the world on fire at either AFL or VFL level, but it appears the coaches gave him a mandate towards the end of the season to focus on the defensive side of his game. His tackle numbers went up, while disposals went down – indicating that Billie is going to need to find a better balance in his game if he’s to continue his career with Carlton. Presumably contracted for 2018, he’ll likely have just one more year to make his mark.

Rowe
Played his role well at the beginning of the season; however an ACL injury ruled Sam out from round 9 onwards. Unfortunately for him, the emergence and form of Liam Jones may make a senior return difficult in 2018. Hard to imagine that the club will let him go halfway through his rehab, but it’s equally hard to imagine that he’ll be a required player in 2019.

Jaksch
Despite hitting the scoreboard regularly in the VFL, and the senior team’s inability to kick goals, KJ failed to register a senior game in 2017. The writing appears to be on the wall.

Sumner
Played in only 4 senior games this year, and a return of less than 7 disposals per game seems to have pushed Liam behind a number of other small forward/mid types at the club. An exception defensive game would likely be enough to balance this, but with less than two tackles per game it’s clear that Sumner just isn’t able to impact the game enough. His position on the list will likely be under close scrutiny come list lodgement.

Plowman
The club’s most effective ball user, as far as the stat sheet tells, Plowman had a good year in 2017. Able to play tall and small, he was used in a number of roles on different types of opponents across the season. While he’ll likely never be considered a star of the competition, Lachie has established himself as a key cog in the Blue’s emerging defensive unit.

Marchbank
Caleb looked every inch an AFL-quality defender in his first year at Carlton, so much so that his inclusion pushed Jacob Weitering forward at the beginning of the year – no mean feat given Weitering’s form in his debut year of 2016. Rewarded with a NAB Rising Star nomination, Caleb was unlucky not to be able to play out the whole season after injury took its toll late in the year.

Weitering
What could be viewed as an underwhelming season for Jacob will most likely prove to be one of important learning and development. Spending time forward, as well as being given more responsibility in key defensive roles, Weitering had noticeably less impact on games than he did in his debut year. He also seemed to be carrying some minor injuries throughout the year too. There are still questions about where Weitering will play in 2018, but if the last few games of the year are anything to go by it will be a return to the backline for the young star.

Palmer
Assumed to be taken on as a salary dump to sweeten the trade for Marchbank and Pickett, Rhys Palmer probably met the expectations of him this year. An underwhelming 12 disposals in his one senior game means his position on the list will likely come down to his contract status. Fully expect to see him moved on as soon as his current contract expires.

Fisher
Quite remarkable that such a skinny little kid could have managed 17 games at senior level, but this one has done just that. Performed a predominantly defensive/pressure focused role for most of the year, but looked like he’d been released in the last few games. Zac’s impact is hard to gauge from the stats alone, but one only has to watch him play to see his tenacity on display. Relentless pressure and diving smothers will be the baseline for his game, but watch out when he puts on a bit more size because he has top-class skills and vision.

Macreadie
Struggled to hold his spot in an already tall backline, but his preseason work was rewarded with a round one debut and he didn’t disappoint. 2017 will go down as a year of learning for Macreadie, and while he may still be a while away from becoming a regular senior player, it’s a question of when, not if, for this lad.

Armfield
Played an important leadership role in the VFL side for most of the year, and was afforded a few games at the end of the season to farewell the fans. While the game appears to have gone past him now, we can only hope that Carlton finds a way to keep Dennis involved with the Blues. The definition of Quality Clubman.

Cuningham
While not a spectacular year for the young midfielder, hopefully a stepping stone towards a long and successful career in Navy Blue. Showed composure in front of goal on a number of occasions, and there were glimpses of his breakaway pace in the midfield. A big preseason should herald a big senior season for 2018.

Polson
Thrown to the wolves is probably the most apt term here. Cam was given his debut in a challenging away game that saw the Blues thrashed by Port Adelaide. He certainly didn’t embarrass himself, but it was also clear that he needed more development before being ready for the big league. Had an alright year in the reserves before a shoulder injury ended his season early. Will most likely need to play some more good VFL footy in 2018 before earning a recall to the seniors.

Curnow (C)
Drawing comparisons to Kouta, Charlie Curnow has won fans in opposition camps as well as our own. Played all bar one game in 2017, and averaged almost 6 marks and 3 tackles to go with his goal-a-game record. Hasn’t quite had a huge breakout performance yet, but looks poised to dominate a game any minute. His confidence is now catching up with his ability, and 2018 looms large as the year he announces himself to the AFL world.

Williamson
Tallying 15 games in his debut season, the late draft steal is shaping up as a very savvy recruitment for the Blues. Can’t see him every taking a backwards step, his aggression and combative nature add a new dimension to the Blues that has been lacking in years gone by. While he struggled a little to keep up with the pace of the game once the coaches moved to a more attacking gameplan, another preseason should have him ready to impact games in 2018.

Graham
Now firmly on the fringe of the Carlton list, Nick’s solid VFL form is the only thing keeping him at the club for 2018. Has had opportunities at senior level and his limitations are well known. Another who will likely be left hanging til late in the trade period before a decision on his future is made.

Pickett
Arrived at the club with serious question marks about his fitness, but burst onto the scene at the end of the year to show why he was initially drafted so high. Has serious wheels and some silky skills, just needs to find the extra bit of composure that will allow him to make use of both.

Phillips
An injury-riddled year to forget for Andrew Phillips. He’ll likely be retained for depth purposes, because if Kreuzer goes down he’s the only AFL-capable ruckman we have.

Curnow (E)
Carlton’s workhorse missed a lot of footy in 2017, only getting on the park for 13 games in total. Had the kind of impact we’ve come to expect, with respectable disposal numbers supporting his tireless defensive game.

Kerr
Going about his business in the VFL, the first year player is quietly impressing people inside and outside the club. A no-nonsense lead-up forward, there’s plenty of work to be done before he gets a run in the seniors, but he looks like handy depth at worst. Missed the last few rounds of the year after going in for surgery on his hip, hopefully he’ll be primed for a full pre-season and a strong development year in 2018.

Gorringe
Repeat injuries have meant Daniel has struggled for any continuity this year. Spent half his games in the Development League which is extremely concerning given he should be approaching his prime years. Expect he’ll be the first on the list of players to be delisted this off-season.

Byrne
Returning from an ACL injury, Casey was eased through the VFL side before being given a chance in the seniors. He looks at home at AFL level, and played a pivotal role in the Blues’ round 22 win over Hawthorn, but ended the year with a nasty knee injury in the final round. Fingers crossed he’s OK and able to put together a full season in 2018.

Thomas
It’s taken time, but Daisy looks to be regaining full confidence in his body. He’s still not the player he used to be, and likely never will be, but the club values his contributions both on and off the field. Waived his contracted trigger clause for an extra year and seems to be playing with more freedom now that the scrutiny over his contract has been eased. Still has something to offer, but may well be in line to take over Armfield’s role as VFL leadership figure and mentor.

Casboult
Played the whole season and led the club’s goal-kicking tally. With the return of Levi-whisperer Sav Rocca, his kicking woes seem to have dissipated somewhat. 33 goals, 18 behinds is a fair return, but a long way from what any club requires of its leading goal-kicker. Looks set to test the market again this off-season, and a good offer from a rival club is likely to see Casboult taking advantage of free agency. The club will be hoping that the deal is good enough that they can benefit as well.

White
Played a role for half the season as a versatile medium/tall player, but the class of Carlton’s young defenders looks to have ended White’s chances at a senior career with the Blues. Mat be retained as versatile depth, but will be in the frame to be delisted this year.

Wright
Ran out the season a close second to Levi in the goal-kicking stakes with 30 majors. After being picked up as a DFA he is continuing to pay dividends to the Blues. Was forced to spend more time in the midfield late in the year, but should be moved back into the full-time forward position next year.

Sheehan
Cruelled by injury throughout his career, Sheehan is likely to be let go come list lodgement. Only notched up two senior games in 2017 and failed to impress. Doesn’t seem to have the pace required for senior level, and plays a role that can be fulfilled by a number of others at the club.

Glass-McCasker
Was always a project player, and that hasn’t changed after two years at Carlton. Struggled for consistency in his 13 reserves games, but may be afforded another year given his age and position.

Lebois
Largely ineffectual all year, but looks set to be given a second season on the rookie list to develop further. Will have to step up in a big way, because the club won’t tolerate regular <5 possession games for a second year player, rookie or not.

Silvagni (A)
Played an important role in the seniors throughout the first half of the year before a knee injury put him on the sidelines. Came straight back into the seniors when considered fit but another knee injury in that game ended his season early. Likely to be retained for a few years yet, as a standard game for him is still very good.

Gallucci
Started the season well in the VFL but dropped away quickly. Unlikely to be given another year.

Korcheck
If nothing else, the big American has been very durable for a ruckman. Has improved steadily throughout his time at Carlton, and may have shown enough to earn another season unless a significantly better option presents through the draft or via trade. (EDIT: Already delisted, indicates we may have someone in the pipeline).

Retain:
Silvagni (contracted)
Murphy (contracted)
Gibbs (contracted)
Petrevski-Seton (contracted)
Simpson (one year extension)
Kreuzer (2+ year extension)
Cripps (contracted)
McKay (contracted)
Kerridge (contracted)
Boekhorst (one year extension)
Lamb (one year extension)
Jones (contracted)
Docherty (contracted)
Smedts (see out final year of contract)
Rowe (contracted)
Plowman (contracted)
Marchbank (contracted)
Weitering (contracted)
Palmer (see out final year of contract)
Fisher (contracted)
Macreadie (contracted)
Cuningham (two year extension)
Polson (contracted)
Curnow (contracted)
Williamson (contracted)

Graham (one year extension)
Pickett (contracted)
Phillips (contracted)
Curnow (contracted)
Kerr (contracted)
Byrne (two year extension)
Thomas (one year extension)
Wright (one year extension)
Glass-McCasker (one year extension)
Lebois (one year extension)
Silvagni (one year extension, promote to senior list)

Release:
Buckley (delist)
Jaksch (delist)
Sumner (delist)
Armfield (retired)
Gorringe (delist)
Casboult (Free Agent)
White (delist)
Sheehan (delist)
Gallucci (delist)
Korcheck (delisted)

Based on that we're needing to fill:
- 6x senior list spots
- 4x rookie list spots

Pick 3 for Kelly or more likely one of Rayner/Dow/Cerra/LDU.
If Casboult gets us Band 3 compo we trade that for Hopper or draft someone like Worpel/O'Brien depending on needs.
Pick 39 is used on a midfielder or unexpected ruck slider.
Pick 57 goes to Freo for Balic.
Pick 75 matches a bid for Penrith or Hickmott (one likely slides to rookie draft).

3x rookie picks + one of Penrith/Hickmott.

Pick up one mature DFA.

There's my conservative recruitment strategy. Nothing too outlandish, and leaves our 2018 draft picks intact.

Last edited:
That would be something wouldn't it!

Get Kelly, Hopper and a player, with the chance of still getting Rayner.

That would be seriously good trading.
Only down side would be we lose Gibbs, but if he desperately wants to go then this type of scenario is what I hope we are after, as long as we get a reasonable player and pick from Crows.

No more types like Smedts, Palmer, Whiley, Jaksch etc

If we did that, Pick 3 + 2018 Pick (In the top 8 comfortably) we would want both Kelly and Hopper, with something coming back the other way

If we did that, Pick 3 + 2018 Pick (In the top 8 comfortably) we would want both Kelly and Hopper, with something coming back the other way
Yeah if we were stumping two firsts up, then I'd want a first rounder back and Hopper and a late pick perhaps. Though I'd much rather keep one/both of our 2017/2018 top picks somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back