Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Harks. Still see Hopper coming to us but don't think we'll have to pay as much as we thought we'd have to earlier in the year.

I'd go to GWS and offer first picks for 2017 and 2018 for Kelly, Hopper and a swap of our pick 38 with their pick 23

That's assuming Gibbs stays, otherwise too high a price
I don't like the idea of losing our 2018 first, but the quality of Kelly and Hopper makes it hard to pass up.

Adelaide acquire a first round pick from another club (Melb or Dogs) for Lever.
Adelaide send that pick & player to us for Gibbs.
We send one of our first rounders (now have 2) to GWS for Kelly after he nominates us.
We send 2nd round pick to GWS for Hopper if we want him.

I am not sold on Hopper myself.

Good in theory, except we have no 2nd rounder and no way in hell do GWS take 1 first rounder only for Kelly...

Unless your saying that we get a compo pick for Casboult that sits in the 2nd, if thats the case are you saying we trade that which is basically Casboult for Hopper.

And if it was Kelly, Hopper + whatever steak knives we got from Adelaide, for Gibbs, Casboult and potentially Rayner/Fogarty/Cerra, I reckon it might be 50/50 on which is better.

Actually as I type it I don't know myself??

If it was me I'd be more inclined to try and get Kelly by using next years 1st plus change if we are pretty sure we can get either Rayner or Fogarty at 3 this year.

I just posted in another thread that I'd rather use 2018 1st for Kelly but I've had another thought at it.

If we can some how walk away with a pick in the 6-10 range for Gibbs and 2rd compo pick for Casboult, I'd trade those 2 picks plus 2018 1st for Kelly and Hopper,

I really like the thought of a 2018 midfield of Kelly, Cripps, Murphy, Curnow x2, Hopper, SPS, Fisher, Cunningham, Kerridge, Rayner/Fogarty.

Rome will almost be built :)

My hope (realistic?) for the trade/draft period

Kelly for Pick 3 and first round 2018. 2017 second round comes back
Hopper for Casboult compo
Balic for Boekhurst
Gibbs to Adelaide for first & third round picks

SOS to also do some late trades for us to have 5-7 draft picks this year plus 3-4 rookies.

Our midfield with Cripps & Ed fit and an improving Charlie SPS Cuningham Polson Pickett & Fisher looks very good and balanced for 2018 with lots of upside. Murphy to play outside and forward and have an even better year than this year. Defence & Midfield nearly set, List rebuild mostly completed and 2018 about getting 1 or 2 "big fish"

Man that's a really, really high cost for Kelly - pick 3 and probably another pick between 3-6. I get the second rounder comes back but damn.

If they want two picks in that range they're giving us Kelly and Hopper. Probably goes to unders in our favour but pick 3 AND 3-6 is heavily weighted towards them for a player that's out of contract.

For all we know, our first round pick next year gets us a better midfielder/KPP than Kelly.

Man that's a really, really high cost for Kelly - pick 3 and probably another pick between 3-6. I get the second rounder comes back but damn.

If they want two picks in that range they're giving us Kelly and Hopper. Probably goes to unders in our favour but pick 3 AND 3-6 is heavily weighted towards them for a player that's out of contract.

For all we know, our first round pick next year gets us a better midfielder/KPP than Kelly.

You'd certainly hope Pick 3 would get us a better KPP than Kelly... ;)

Just dragged this post over to the List Management thread.

Reckon the Saints could well look at trading out some players and one I think could go is Acres.
Fremantle may be an easy sell and really don't think the Saints need him in their team.

I do though think that another backward step for St.Kilda next year would be just a little too painful.
Whether people think a lot of him or not, Reiwoldt is a loss. Montagna likely to retire and if he doesn't.....he really should.
Then who knows with McCartin? Can the Saints build around him? Could be too big a risk.

Just don't see the Saints putting all their eggs into the draft basket, as I don't think it will help them climb the ladder in the short term.
I know Saints are rejoicing for having that extra first this year, but it was at the expense of a top ten pick they could have had in the system for a year already (Yes, Steele was the bonus, but..)
That player could have been, Florent, Simpkin, Hayward, Powell-Pepper etc. People forget that they had to hand over their first (#10) last year.

Don't forget Nathan Brown. Has had a decent year but will be 30 next year and is injury prone.

I not quite sure what the saints are selling... Aside from grit and determination

If Kelly chose to re-sign with the Giants I would do this:

Trade Gibbs to Crows for Pick 10 (If Lever goes to the Dees)

Offer Brisbane Pick 3 & 10 for Pick 1 & 14.

Brisbane get 2 picks in top 10 & we get number 1 pick & could still use pick 14 for Hopper or just take it to the draft.

Maybe and I hope SOS can do better but if Teloar went for 2 x first rounders I reckon Kelly is better. A first rounder and change would be a great deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It pisses you off? If you think GWS will except pick 3 for Kelly then you are in fantasy land. What did the Pies give up for Treloar? The Lions for Beams? The Cats for Danger and us for Judd?

3 and 10 with a second coming back will get Kelly.

These trades have zero to do with whatever we may end up doing with Kelly. They have no bearing at all.

If Kelly chose to re-sign with the Giants I would do this:

Trade Gibbs to Crows for Pick 10 (If Lever goes to the Dees)

Offer Brisbane Pick 3 & 10 for Pick 1 & 14.

Brisbane get 2 picks in top 10 & we get number 1 pick & could still use pick 14 for Hopper or just take it to the draft.
That trade only works for us if a) we think that Gold Coast are going to take the player we really want at 3, or b) we want to on-trade pick 1. Otherwise we'd actually be in a worse position than if we chose to hold on to 3 and 10 (hypothetically).

KJ, Galucci, JGM, Buckley will be the easy decisions for the list management

Graham, White & Daisy are the more difficult choices, Graham might have small amount of trade value but it would be minimal.

Then we have decision with Levi as to how much we are prepared to pay, i suspect SOS would be happy for him to go..

They really aren't difficult choices at all.

That trade only works for us if a) we think that Gold Coast are going to take the player we really want at 3, or b) we want to on-trade pick 1. Otherwise we'd actually be in a worse position than if we chose to hold on to 3 and 10 (hypothetically).

Yeah I'm assuming Gold Coast or Brisbane are going for the player we want.

Carlton send Gibbs to Adelaide (nominated) for their 1st round (#17), 3rd round (#53) & Harrison Wigg.
Casboult exercises free agency and nets us 2nd round compensation (#21)
Carlton send 3rd round pick (#56) to Fremantle for Harley Balic.
Carlton send pick #17 (acquired by Adelaide) & 2018 1st round pick to GWS for Josh Kelly

Trade period wrap:
In: J.Kelly, H.Wigg, H.Balic, #53
Out: B.Gibbs, L.Casboult, #56, 2018 1st round pick

We go to draft with:
#3 -
#21 -
#38 -
#53 -
#74 -

Bit left field but if Casboult goes could White be a back up option as 2nd ruck/fwd. Same height as Pederson from Demons and has the right attitude. No room down back and his aggression may be handy whilst we develop

Bit left field but if Casboult goes could White be a back up option as 2nd ruck/fwd. Same height as Pederson from Demons and has the right attitude. No room down back and his aggression may be handy whilst we develop

Kill me now. :)

Certainly a left of centre idea, but maybe just a little too far out of the circle.
Pretty sure White is shorter than Pedersen also.

Carlton send Gibbs to Adelaide (nominated) for their 1st round (#17), 3rd round (#53) & Harrison Wigg.
Casboult exercises free agency and nets us 2nd round compensation (#21)
Carlton send 3rd round pick (#56) to Fremantle for Harley Balic.
Carlton send pick #17 (acquired by Adelaide) & 2018 1st round pick to GWS for Josh Kelly

Trade period wrap:
In: J.Kelly, H.Wigg, H.Balic, #53
Out: B.Gibbs, L.Casboult, #56, 2018 1st round pick

We go to draft with:
#3 -
#21 -
#38 -
#53 -
#74 -

GWS says no..

Status
Not open for further replies.