Review Elimination Final vs WC - Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we infer from Koch where he says something of the like that 'if you don't follow instructions then we'll trade you' that Trengove hasn't followed instructions?

What the heck is Koch doing by selecting to blame players lock stock and barrel?

Maybe, just maybe he's privy to some information that we're not.

Even though the defeat was painful and I am beyond angry, just numb from tha result, I still enjoyed the whole experience until that shattering last free. Sorry to disappoint you.

It's not you. I can't take any joy out of this because I really believe we are on the verge of complete domination by our rivals in flags and showdowns that we can't recover from. I want to be completely wrong about it but we went down to the depths some years ago and escaped from being dominated by them then but I have always felt that if we didn't get success again before them that we wouldn't survive another dip. We can't win flags in any grade. We are tripping up. To me it is not about the small achievements but only the big ones, just like it was with our club a long time ago.

Seems to me that Ryder was out of petroleum vouchers after a long season back from the wilderness. To suggest he isn't AA based off that game is extremely rough. We would be looking down the barrel of coughing up a top 5 pick to Brisvegas but for his stellar efforts this season. You could say that's an argument for Trengove, but at some point you have to back Ryder rather than hedge.

It's not you. I can't take any joy out of this because I really believe we are on the verge of complete domination by our rivals in flags and showdowns that we can't recover from. I want to be completely wrong about it but we went down to the depths some years ago and escaped from being dominated by them then but I have always felt that if we didn't get success again before them that we wouldn't survive another dip. We can't win flags in any grade. We are tripping up. To me it is not about the small achievements but only the big ones, just like it was with our club a long time ago.
Yes Crows winning a Premiership prior to us will not be good at all. I really believed in 13 and 14 that we were finally on the right track on and off the field. The Crows definitely jacked up at our increased exposure, game day experience and on field improvement. They weren't going to play second fiddle to little brother. So roo got on the board, they sacked their coach, stole ours, got rid of Triggy, got that turd Fagan and the rest is history. We are all disappointed.

If only there was a thing called a coach that was responsible for teaching the team how to kick for goal.
I 'get' your point, but it's AFL footy, and a final.
AFL players don't need to be coached how to kick (either to a teammate, or for goal), surely? Aren't kicking skills one of the prerequisites to play at AFL level?

What I mean is that those goalkicking misses that make all supporters tear out their hair and scream "I could've kicked that!!" have less to do with kicking skill and more to do with attitude/mindset/nerves/coolness under pressure. Those qualities often decide a game by less than a goal.

Houston was a flood of tears. Sadly, too many others didn't hurt enough

I love Dan Houston.

Tough, courageous, great user of the ball, now tears of blood for the loss, make him captain, he so competitive.

Your reviews pale in comparison to Th3 Zm0nst3r's (ft. the coolest kid):

CQbor6u.png

Not a time to be sarcastic. You either blame all or nobody when addressing the masses. Imagine if he means Impey or Marshall? Are they to blame? They didn't select themselves.

Not being sarcastic at all - he is in a position to be privy to information that we're not. Maybe there are players that AREN'T following instructions, maybe there are players with inflated ego's that think they know better than the coaches, maybe players more interested in their social media profiles than willing to sacrifice whatever is required to win a premiership. Who knows...certainly not anyone on here, so I'm quite happy for him to lay the blame squarely at the players feet if that is what he truly believes. If it bruises a few delicate egos and some of the players take offense then so be it - "ask for a trade and we'll do what we can to accommodate you" is what I believe he was saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it shouldn't. The question that should linger is Marshall + Trengove vs Marshall + Impey selection.
Yep. Marshall is a lock. He got monstered, with him and the team benefiting greatly from another pre-season into him, but anyone with footy nous at the ground (more so then on TV where you don't see it all before the ball is there) would realise he gets into the right position more then Trengove ever has up forward. If Trengove had come in instead of Marshall to play forward, the 2017 experience says Dixon wouldn't have dominated as much and we'd have been stuffed by quarter time. We'd be hear blasting losing by 30 - 50 not 2 points in extra time.

Dixon was a one man band. He was just inspiring. Had he kicked that goal at the end and won us the game, it would have gone down as the single greatest performance by a Port Adelaide player in our AFL history. Alas, it was all for nothing.
When all is said and done, this defeat shouldn't hurt as much as 2014 did. The manner of the defeat is truly galling but taking a step back, we were never in the premiership race this year and tonight just proved that further (unlike in 2014 where we were as good as any team in it and that 3 point margin may have cost us a flag).
Now, from what I see, we failed to win tonight because: (a) it took over a full quarter for us starting to actually play; (b) we melted at the end, not knowing what to do when ahead on the score; and (c) we couldn't kick for goals.
This is lack of leadership and lack of experience from both players and coaches. We were naïve. We choked when the game mattered the most. Now, who and why, I cannot answer. But the club has serious issues to solve in this offseason.

I know that if I'd written the above I'd be told to pi ssoff, but I reckon your two posters above have nailed it.
Dixon had 3.0 and finished with 3.6. Even Boak on the run from about 45m out had a chance to ice it. These misses drive all footy fans crazy and seem to be inexplicable, but the fact is some players are calm and execute under pressure and some don't. We lost by 3 points to Sydney from bad goalkicking.
I don't know what any coach can do about that, since they are coaches, not psychologists.
As for the part above in bold italics, last year the Crows were pretenders as well and got shown up in Finals. They beat a lot of the lower-ladder teams but struggled to win against Top-8 sides, finishing fifth as well then kicked out emphatically by Sydney.

Another embarassing game just like the St. Kilda one. Yes we won that but we were so embarassing and so anti-Port Adelaide. What happened to us, why don't we like attacking anymore? Wtf happened to Chad Wingard? Eagles didn't even wanna win that game and neither did we, was an embarassing scrap, was that the worst final in years? When was the last bad final? Sick of the pathetic skill level and the umpires in these AFL contests, we're watching confused children run lines and pinged every minute for shit rules that come and go.

If we kicked straight we would have won - story of the year. But to me that's like saying if we were better we would have won. Well we aren't better. We can't kick straight. we don't miss shots after carefully lining up and preparing to score, we blaze away without any thought, that's why we kick so many points, not because we're inaccurate but because the shots we take are DUMB, panicked attempts, it's like anyone but Dixon scoring goals is a bonus in this game plan, I don't know what the actual plan is. The footy has been crap this year and that was a crap game, surely I'm not the only one who sees it as a mess.

We scored 19 times in 3 quarters of football: 7 goals, 12 behinds (Q2-Q4). We do attack in a very respectable ammount. We just suck at scoring...

I 'get' your point, but it's AFL footy, and a final.
AFL players don't need to be coached how to kick (either to a teammate, or for goal), surely? Aren't kicking skills one of the prerequisites to play at AFL level?

What I mean is that those goalkicking misses that make all supporters tear out their hair and scream "I could've kicked that!!" have less to do with kicking skill and more to do with attitude/mindset/nerves/coolness under pressure. Those qualities often decide a game by less than a goal.

It's all mental.

The report is that we kick accurately with regularity in practice sessions and I believe players were nailing setshots with ease in the pre game warmup. There are guys in the side who are genuinely shit at setshot kicking but for most part it's mental.

I actually think it's a good measure of whether a player has it in them or not to go the extra. Every player says they dream of kicking big goals in the finals, but do you really when you have the opportunity and you don't?

Did you see Motlop play the other night?
I did and it wasn't pretty. In fact it was pretty awful. Reminded me of Chad's game last night.
Trying to pull off the miraculous while cruising around in 2nd gear. Maybe they're just too cool for my liking.

No one player is to blame but you cant expect to win finals with so many inexperienced players.
Coming back to if we'd played them during the season, instead of persisting with senior players out of form, then shit leaders or not last night, they'd have been more settled and we'd have won. It's now the morning after and I just keep finding reasons to be angry at Ken.

Ollie's record in finals is pretty good as well... clutched the Freo game in 2014 with a bag of three and kicked two crunch-time goals last night as well. Can hold his head somewhat high.

Is that the official crowd? Wtf!?
The place was packed. Where the hell would another 10k people fit?
Are you kidding? The top half of level 5 on Riverbank was almost empty. Two bays top of Chappell stand were almost empty. Honestly I'm surprised it was that much. There's been plenty of SMA adjusted games, but this was not one of them. AFL had control of everything, so I'm confident this isn't a bullshit figure (unless adjusted up to not make things look bad).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back