Review Elimination Final vs WC - Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the game would have been the same. You can't change the characteristics of a coach. You can't change Clarkson and Longmire and their characteristics. Coaches shape their team to be who they are.

There is obviously a lot that has been taken from basketball in modern footy, but I would love to be as sure of winning x-lotto as I am that Kern and his manic game plan wouldn't last more than one season in that sport, the smarter coaches would dissect it in minutes.

Not being sarcastic at all - he is in a position to be privy to information that we're not. Maybe there are players that AREN'T following instructions, maybe there are players with inflated ego's that think they know better than the coaches, maybe players more interested in their social media profiles than willing to sacrifice whatever is required to win a premiership. Who knows...certainly not anyone on here, so I'm quite happy for him to lay the blame squarely at the players feet if that is what he truly believes. If it bruises a few delicate egos and some of the players take offense then so be it - "ask for a trade and we'll do what we can to accommodate you" is what I believe he was saying.

Some young men are incapable of recognising their poor decisions.

Will Koch blame a coach if he is not properly cementing instructions? No so like I say either blame all or nobody. Besides does Koch say siund things on the football level?

Yep. Marshall is a lock. He got monstered, with him and the team benefiting greatly from another pre-season into him, but anyone with footy nous at the ground (more so then on TV where you don't see it all before the ball is there) would realise he gets into the right position more then Trengove ever has up forward. If Trengove had come in instead of Marshall to play forward, the 2017 experience says Dixon wouldn't have dominated as much and we'd have been stuffed by quarter time. We'd be hear blasting losing by 30 - 50 not 2 points in extra time.
Hypothetical at best. Bull at worst. Eddy would have done better. Putting Dixon in ruck at times cruelled him. Maybe a few of those points would have been goals.

Are you kidding? The top half of level 5 on Riverbank was almost empty. Two bays top of Chappell stand were almost empty. Honestly I'm surprised it was that much. There's been plenty of SMA adjusted games, but this was not one of them. AFL had control of everything, so I'm confident this isn't a bullshit figure (unless adjusted up to not make things look bad).

I know AFL run finals ticketing which is why I was surprised when I saw the official figure.

I was ground level Riverbank so I was only commenting based on what I could see. Seems most of the empty seats were behind us.

It certainly sounded like more than 41k

Mosquito fleets don't win finals.
Or many matches against quality sides in general. I've had it with Ken and his problem with picking enough talls. It cost us the backend of 2014 and top 2 and highly likely a flag then. It's cost us top 2 and a real chance in an even field this year. It's his inability to see us burnt over and over and over by this, yet still persisting with going in too small, that's the one I can't get past to give him a chance again.

Last edited:
I posted about 43k when the game first started judging from where I was sitting.
Empty chunks in a few places.
Busiest I've seen the s**t houses and booze lines all year though.

I'm sure Trengove would've shut him out like he shut out Alex Rance and Jake Carlisle. At least Marshall offered some goal assists and tackling pressure.

I cashed the ******* thing out. Most annoying thing is that he hadn't made 30 disposals before extra time.
Trengove actually shut out Rance for half a game brilliantly, bamboozled him, and kicked a goal on him when we only kicked 8 goals in the game, before being smashed by Rance in the 2nd half. Cut McGovern to 8 marks instead of 15 and kick a goal on him and we probably win.

But anyone saying Marshall out for Trengove is a spazo.

It should have been Johnson out for Trengove not bloody Impey. Playing Jacko up forward he didnt have to tag McGoven like he did Rance. He just had to make a bloody contest that Impey, Neade Sam Gray and Boak never made on McGoven. He could have rucked for 15-20 minutes in the 3r quarter and Ryder could have gone forward and played on McGoven when we had 15 inside 50's and bloody West Coast didnt kick a goal for 60 minutes. He could have gone down back in the first quarter when our young back line were wetting the bed because the Eagles were delivering the ball in spades inside 50 and played on Darling instead of Jasper or switch with Howard on Petrie. Howard could have had a run forward for 15 minutes. Westhoff would not have had to play loose in defense for a quarter, he could have actually pushed forward.

Playing a useless incompetent Impey over Trengove is the most incompetent, pathetic, brain dead selection I have seen a Port Adelaide coach make in over 40 years of watching Port Adelaide play. It made playing Lonie for two years look like a master stroke by Choco.

And McGoven did't play on Marshall, Barass did.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-10/every-eagle-rated-from-the-first-elimination-final
Tom Barrass - 7
Not a high-possession game but was steady down back and the master of Power youngster Todd Marshall.

Eric Mackenzie - 4

Beaten by Charlie Dixon and will be thanking his lucky stars the Power big man didn't have his kicking boot on during extra time. His heroics in going back and being prepared to collide with the point post in the dying seconds of the fourth term prevented a heartbreaking one-point loss.

Jeremy McGoven - 9

Best afield and is the biggest reason West Coast is alive. Took 15 marks including five contested, and was a thorn in Port's side as it tried to get value for it's domination after half-time.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Ryder was out of petroleum vouchers after a long season back from the wilderness. To suggest he isn't AA based off that game is extremely rough. We would be looking down the barrel of coughing up a top 5 pick to Brisvegas but for his stellar efforts this season. You could say that's an argument for Trengove, but at some point you have to back Ryder rather than hedge.
Ryder had two weeks off. He's been great for us this year and is the deserved AA ruckman, but he was s**t from the opening bounce. If it was just the lack of Trengove instead of Impey, with him cooked late game, you could say that, but he was putrid from start to end outside his tap work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My son asked me why the tops of the stands were empty. I said I thought it was probably the higher cost and that if they'd charged the same as we paid ($35 adult & $10 child standing on the hill) more people would have come to the game & filled those areas.

I reckon there's a bit of truth in Charlie spraying shots when he's knackered from all the work around the ground we love his work rate, chasing, tackling & aggression but he can't do it all on his pat malone.
Of course it has an effect on your goal kicking. Just look at Tredrea the same bloody thing happened to him. He had to work his arse off because his coach didnt give him another KPF to work with - mainly because our bloody recruiters wouldn't or couldn't find more KPF's.

History repeats.

I reckon there's a bit of truth in Charlie spraying shots when he's knackered from all the work around the ground we love his work rate, chasing, tackling & aggression but he can't do it all on his pat malone.

Yep - he pretty well dragged us kicking and screaming back into the game in the 2nd quarter. You could almost hear him say "I'm not going down without a fight - not here, not tonight, not on my watch. Follow me lads!". Much respect!

Two things cost us this game

Too much youth and inexperience particularly in the backline in the 1st quarter

Allowing McGovern to take 15 intercept marks

Can I say..Trengove either forward or back would have solved this
Yes you can say that because it's correct.

I cannot believe people are questioning the crowd figure lol. Empty seats galore.

I was in the southern stand, first third was full and then crickets, appeared to be the same in both the western and eastern stands. Highly concerning.

Of course it has an effect on your goal kicking. Just look at Tredrea the same bloody thing happened to him. He had to work his arse off because his coach didnt give him another KPF to work with - mainly because our bloody recruiters wouldn't or couldn't find more KPF's.

History repeats.
I'm on the same page with you in regards to tall forwards REH Marshall & Frampton (forward/chop out) should be playing from round 1 next year.

could it be possible that Jacko has given the coaching staff a verbal 'what for' and they are keeping him out of the team due to something which isn't in the public arena? I find it so bizarre that he wasn't deemed good enough for the final but we were happy to throw Marshall to the wolves.

Feel really sorry for Marshall, he was easily pushed off the ball and was out marked a number of times. He showed nothing in his first two games to be considered a lock for the first final.

Without Dixons Herculean efforts last night, we would have lost comfortably.

Trengove actually shut out Rance for half a game brilliantly, bamboozled him, and kicked a goal on him when we only kicked 8 goals in the game, before being smashed by Rance in the 2nd half. Cut McGovern to 8 marks instead of 15 and kick a goal on him and we probably win.

But anyone saying Marshall out for Trengove is a spazo.

It should have been Johnson out for Trengove not bloody Impey. Playing Jacko up forward he didnt have to tag McGoven like he did Rance. He just had to make a bloody contest that Impey, Neade Sam Gray and Boak never made on McGoven. He could have rucked for 15-20 minutes in the 3r quarter and Ryder could have gone forward and played on McGoven when we had 15 inside 50's and bloody West Coast didnt kick a goal for 60 minutes. He could have gone down back in the first quarter when our young back line were wetting the bed because the Eagles were delivering the ball in spades inside 50 and played on Darling instead of Jasper or switch with Howard on Petrie. Howard could have had a run forward for 15 minutes. Westhoff would not have had to play loose in defense for a quarter, he could have actually pushed forward.

Playing a useless incompetent Impey over Trengove is the most incompetent, pathetic, brain dead selection I have seen a Port Adelaide coach make in over 40 years of watching Port Adelaide play. It made playing Lonie for two years look like a master stroke by Choco.

And McGoven did't play on Marshall, Barass did.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-10/every-eagle-rated-from-the-first-elimination-final
Tom Barrass - 7
Not a high-possession game but was steady down back and the master of Power youngster Todd Marshall.

Eric Mackenzie - 4

Beaten by Charlie Dixon and will be thanking his lucky stars the Power big man didn't have his kicking boot on during extra time. His heroics in going back and being prepared to collide with the point post in the dying seconds of the fourth term prevented a heartbreaking one-point loss.

Jeremy McGoven - 9

Best afield and is the biggest reason West Coast is alive. Took 15 marks including five contested, and was a thorn in Port's side as it tried to get value for it's domination after half-time.

Absolutely spot on..one of the few times one selection has cost a season..jeez...he was outstanding in the safl and also could have supported Ryder

T
I'm on the same page with you in regards to tall forwards REH Marshall & Frampton (forward/chop out) should be playing from round 1 next year.
Too bad Frampton not impressing in ruck. Hopefully it has been a shoulder injury hampering him, otherwise he will not be much of a chop out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back