Autopsy Geelong QF loses to Richmond by 51 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he was shit.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and at 21 years old, he will get better.

Yeah he was. I haven't rated him at any stage, so I don't think it's hindsight to be honest. He's just not up to it - he might get there but I doubt it. Needs to find a way to stay involved for longer periods. Or at least give us that defensive pressure that seems to be such a buzz word these days. If that's all he brings to the table and he doesn't do a good job of that, then I don't see the point of picking him. Maybe he can show us what he can do in the reserves and then prove me wrong, but right now he is a liability.

Yeah he was. I haven't rated him at any stage, so I don't think it's hindsight to be honest. He's just not up to it - he might get there but I doubt it. Needs to find a way to stay involved for longer periods. Or at least give us that defensive pressure that seems to be such a buzz word these days. If that's all he brings to the table and he doesn't do a good job of that, then I don't see the point of picking him. Maybe he can show us what he can do in the reserves and then prove me wrong, but right now he is a liability.
Most of our team was a liability though.

I've said he was crap all throughout this thread but he's not the only one.

I'd pick him before Murda, that's for sure.

Friday night, I couldn't believe how high we pressed up, yet stood 5-10 metres off our opponents. It's just a complete waste of time to have all your players in Richmonds half, if you're not putting physicality into them.
You're just guarding the space........and THAT is the problem.
Scott is obsessed with zone off footy, he goes back to it all the bloody time.
We play our best footy when we attack the footy, be first to the ball and play attacking footy
How many times on Friday night did we press up on the kickouts, have everyone in Richmonds half, then just allow them to chip it to a defender unattended who cleared the ball without pressure. This gave them a chance to get out of the 50 with ease on the second kick. Every single time.
I was pulling my hair out.
We will never ever ever win another flag playing zone off footy.

Not at the 'G in a final anyway

I think he's had a couple of good moments, but that's about it. I'm talking the entire year, not just Friday night's game. He hasn't topped 14 possessions in his last 17 games. Ironically the only 2 times he has done that were his first 2 games (18 and 21) and it's been all downhill since then IMO. He has some skills and pace I'll admit that, but just goes missing for large chunks in every game. Not yet ready for the Seniors. Does not bring enough to the table. He has a lot of mates mind you.
How did other "small" forwards fare in that area historically?
Varcoe, when he first started, hardly any possessions. All about his pressure acts.
Parsons btw, was our highest contributor to the score board.
He is playing in a very difficult position to amass stats. Friday night was near impossible. If he got dropped on that performance it would be harsh. Nobody scored more than he did.

Also, I'm not blaming the kid for the loss. There are many many issues with this team at the moment and he is just one of them - the one I happen to be talking about right now. As you say, Murdoch was attrocious, Motlop terrible again, Kolo not up to it, coaching terrible, Harry up forward (wow what a trump card that is - Richmond had no idea it was coming). I could go on and on. Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on the kid because I'm not - I'm just calling it as I see it. I know it's not easy and they are all better than me yada yada yada - I just like to put my opinion out there occasionally.

Varcoe, when he first started, hardly any possessions. All about his pressure acts.
He is playing in a very difficult position to amass stats. Friday night was near impossible. If he got dropped on that performance it would be harsh. Nobody scored more than he did.
Piss off with your common sense!

It's not welcome here!

42 tackles in 19 games suggests to me that his high pressure is not as high as it needs to be. I don't rate him at all to be honest - no matter what the role he is playing - he is extremely limited and just doesn't offer enough IMO. Not a single tackle laid on Friday night - awesome pressure that is.
Though the stats sheets say nil, there was one tackle- watch the replay. Never mind that though, his potential role as a winger, hbf will be where he is best suited- he is our only available player to attempt what CS has asked him to do, replace Gregson, Linc, and Cocky out all year adds to that. I have full faith that Parsons will emerge as a high quality long term prospect.

Also, I'm not blaming the kid for the loss. There are many many issues with this team at the moment and he is just one of them - the one I happen to be talking about right now. As you say, Murdoch was attrocious, Motlop terrible again, Kolo not up to it, coaching terrible, Harry up forward (wow what a trump card that is - Richmond had no idea it was coming). I could go on and on. Sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on the kid because I'm not - I'm just calling it as I see it. I know it's not easy and they are all better than me yada yada yada - I just like to put my opinion out there occasionally.
I know you're not shitting on him.

Kolo is a back man...was shit on the wing...blame Scotty.

Mots and Murda were worse than Parsons and both should be expected to perform.

Parsons should be AFL standard to play finals (at least) but he belongs near our worst and not our best.

You're measuring him on possessions.
There's more to playing as a small forward than collecting possessions.
You know......like tackling, crumbling, marking, creating opportunities.
He's a coaster......he does none of those things and no matter how many times you tell yourself he does, he doesn't
Compare our small forwards workrate to Richmond and Sydneys.......it's embarrassing how far behind them we are in this regard

Maybe I shouldn't have brought stats into it - you're right in that he probably is never going to amass big numbers - I just don't see a lot there to be honest - maybe it will come, but hopefully he can learn his craft in the two's and then earn a recall. Injuries have dictated some selection decisions this year for sure, so I hope we can sort that out, because there are players right now that are not senior quality.

As far as the pressure acts go, how does he rate in this area? I don't see it as a big factor tbh - Varcoe used to do a lot of little 1 percenters that went unnoticed by most. I don't see that with Parsons.

Though the stats sheets say nil, there was one tackle- watch the replay. Never mind that though, his potential role as a winger, hbf will be where he is best suited- he is our only available player to attempt what CS has asked him to do, replace Gregson, Linc, and Cocky out all year adds to that. I have full faith that Parsons will emerge as a high quality long term prospect.
Me too, not AA like Cockatoo and Parfitt could be but a B player at least in my eyes.

Also I was mistaken, he's only 20 and not 21.

I'd start with the obvious. Ask how good every single player on the list is.

I like that, but I'd go further. Look to their improvements over the past few years and see where the team has been directed. For instance, Murdoch came back as a tackling machine keeping the ball in the forward line. But the major deficit I saw in him was awareness; a sort of tunnel vision he had. He still looks like that is there with him. Kolo: where's the improvement?

One of the deficits I see throughout the group is indecision. And then the other extreme where its pay-on at all costs in a fumbly lose the ball kind of way. When they work the ball down quickly under pressure, it is memorable - because it doesn't happen too often.

Our biggest deificit (said it before) is the team is not skilled up anywhere near enough. Over coached, under skilled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You and me both.

The Geelong way has never been to play an overly defensive game but to be free flowing and high scoring. Back ourselves to kick more than the opposition. The successful teams of 2007-2011 had a great balance between attack and defence but were still able to slam on multiple goals in a short period. I think we definitely played an overly defensive system team on Friday night and that was born out with our psyche during the match. We didn't appear like we were trying to win, rather we trying not to lose. We've got to go back to a far more attacking structure this week - we have Buckley's chance of winning against the Swans if we try and "out defend" them.
Started at selection Thursday night by leaving out Menzel. My confidence in a win was lost there, so to I suspect some of the playing groups. A negative selection trying to save the game, not win it, this defeatist approach always backfires

Parsons stats compare favourably to Devon Smith and he's considered valuable?

We'll give up the Carlton second for Smith but Parsons is trash?

P.S Smith is a better prospect with significantly higher upside but not much separates them right now IMO.

You're measuring him on possessions.
There's more to playing as a small forward than collecting possessions.
You know......like tackling, crumbling, marking, creating opportunities.
He's a coaster......he does none of those things and no matter how many times you tell yourself he does, he doesn't
Compare our small forwards workrate to Richmond and Sydneys.......it's embarrassing how far behind them we are in this regard
No, I am not.
He has NEVER played as a small forward, never. He even played key defence at Eastern. He has some attributes that CS likes that allowed him more games than maybe he was ready for, but this small forward role is alien to him.
Once we get a semblance of normality in small forwards available- I'd trade out both Linc and Gregson- Parsons will end up an elite hbf, winger.

Last edited:
As with all Geelong players, I hope each and every one of them that I doubt proves me wrong. I am more than happy to be proven wrong. Just saying it as I see it.

On Devon Smith - I'm not a huge wrap for him either tbh.

As with all Geelong players, I hope each and every one of them that I doubt proves me wrong. I am more than happy to be proven wrong. Just saying it as I see it.

On Devon Smith - I'm not a huge wrap for him either tbh.
I doubt them all to be honest.

I like Smith but he's not the answer to any of our problems.

I'd rather Kolo back, Parsons on the wing and Stewart forward if we want forward pressure.

Should have done this at half time against Richmond IMO.

Parsons stats compare favourably to Devon Smith and he's considered valuable?
We'll give up the Carlton second for Smith but Parsons is trash?
P.S Smith is a better prospect with significantly higher upside but not much separates them right now IMO.
If it was between Parsons and Menzel, I'd select Menzel 11 times out of 10. But you are right, Parsons has a future and is copping too much blame.

I think Adelaide will choke.

Haven't proven themselves as a big game team.
OK, I can agree with that, after all their win over GWS was a win over a team with little Finals experience. Is it vindictive + vile of me to hope that Richmond chokes too? :p

Actually, not sure if I really mean that lol I'd prefer Tigers + Crows go through instead of WCE + GWS

The Giants qualified for a home game. Why should they play against the Eagles at the Swans home ground or a neutral ground?
Swans home ground is SCG - GWS can play WCE at their home ground, is the AFL saying differently? Or am I :huh:?

Doubt it.
People need to stop pushing this shit.

It's not validated and the contract offer proves there is more at play than meets the eye.

I'm willing to bet we've been in Stringer's ear for a while now as well as Gaz and a certain Devon Smith.

Our great club is becoming snakey under Scott and where there is smoke, there is fire.

People are being thrown under the bus and Menzel is one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back