2017 Trade Hypotheticals (opposition supporters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Any love?

Pies picks 6 and 36 (2253 points) for Lions pick 12 and 18 (2253 points).

Appeals to Lions: A top 5 like Dow or Stephenson could fall and points for academy.

Appeals to Pies: Based on Cal Twomey's latest Phantom form guide nab a Balta and Naughton to shore up key positions.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Points-draft-value.pdf

Probably depends on where we expect a bid for Ballenden. If we expect a bid before 18 then it's a no brainer but if we think the draft is pretty even through the teens and 18 will be live then we might prefer 12 and 18.

Any love?

Appeals to Lions: A top 5 like Dow or Stephenson could fall and points for academy.

Appeals to Pies: Based on Cal Twomey's latest Phantom form guide nab a Balta and Naughton to shore up the key positions.

Sounds like a good deal for both clubs. I'm not sure Dow or Stephenson will be available around that pick though. I expect Gold Coast to take Dow (if we take Rayner at 1) and Stephenson won't get past North's pick 4. Still we should end up with a good player.

Any love?

Appeals to Pies: Based on Cal Twomey's latest Phantom form guide nab a Balta and Naughton to shore up key positions.

We'd consider it and I can see why it would appeal, but would depend on what the club internally rates in the teens in this draft compared to a top ten pick.

If we were worried about Ballenden being bid on in the teens I could see this would be extra appealing - but at this rate I think he'll be lucky for a Top 20 bid.

Something from left field.

Not factoring Rocky leaving or us receiving a PP.

Trade picks 1 and 73 for picks 4, 21, 62. This will ensure that Nth gets Rayner.
Leaves us with picks 4, 12, 18, 21, 41 & 62.
I assuming that we still get one of LDU, Dow or Stephenson with pick 4 - Pretty sure we will not pick Rayner at 1 and one of Carl/GC/Nth will pick him up.
Then trade 12 & 18 for picks 6 and 36.
This leaves us 4, 6, 21, 36, 41 & 62

Trade picks 21 & 62 for Cameron & pick 71
On-trade pick 71 to Haw for Hodge

Leaves us with 4, 6, 36 & 41 entering the draft.
This ensures that we get 2 guns before a bid comes in for Ballenden.

Who knows we might even get 2 of Dow/LDU/JS at 4 and 6.

Trade picks 1 and 73 for picks 4, 21, 62. This will ensure that Nth gets Rayner.
I assuming that we still get one of LDU, Dow or Stephenson with pick 4 - Pretty sure we will not pick Rayner at 1 and one of Carl/GC/Nth will pick him up.

I like

I like it but kiss goodbye to cameron if we do go down this path

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I am aware of all that. This trade scenario has been discussed, a lot, on the main draft, trade and free agency board. And in this thread and/or the draft thread at least twice before.

Personally I don't believe Ballenden will be bid on before pick 18. And if he is, I'd be seriously tempted to not match the bid.
Seriously, on yesterday's performance, which team would use their first n most important pick on Ballenden? We need agility n speed so let him go if before 18. Harsh but reality.

Seriously, on yesterday's performance, which team would use their first n most important pick on Ballenden? We need agility n speed so let him go if before 18. Harsh but reality.

Lol, nothing beats judging a player on 1 performance. Keep at it.

Dodongo wants to point out Richmond will. Leppitsch has a boner for talls and Richmond have a boner for Brisbane's academy talls via Leppitsch. Dodongo will stake his balls that Richmond will definitely bid on Connor with their first pick. Dodongo thinks that's the most sure thing about draft night.

Ballenden? No way. Definitely throws his weight around.
Not from what i've seen, reads the play well and takes the uninterrupted intercept mark, how often does that happen at AFL level. Elite ball user, but no real hunger for the contest ala Brown or Hipwood.

Not from what i've seen, reads the play well and takes the uninterrupted intercept mark, how often does that happen at AFL level. Elite ball user, but no real hunger for the contest ala Brown or Hipwood.

I can only speak on behalf of games I've seen him in which have been neafl games and his pressure and tackling was impressive for a kpp under ager against men.

I would overlook him if it cost us top 20 points. I would overlook him if we keep schache, cannot have Ballandean and Schache on our list. Too much of a risk!

I would overlook him if it cost us top 20 points. I would overlook him if we keep schache, cannot have Ballandean and Schache on our list. Too much of a risk!

I don't think his agility is all that bad. I'd say it compares to Pattons fairly well.

Personally I think Ballenden is the best forward in the draft and if he slips out of the first round it is a major win for us.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having both he and Schache - at worst it is great trade currency.

Yeah like Cameron is worth 12 because of the prelim. Passing on Ballenden could come back to bite us big time. I don't think though that will happen.

I'd argue Camerons peformance definitely pushed his currency up and he wasn't bad in the gf. But his currency was a pick in the 20s. Would be pick 18 now I'd think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back