B. Goldsack Dunn Scharenberg
HB. Crisp Reid Howe
C. Sidebottom Adams Maynard
HF. De Goey Moore Hoskin-Elliott
F. Fasolo Cox Elliott
R. Grundy Pendlebury Treloar
I. Varcoe Aish Phillips Wells
E. Greenwood Langdon Sier

Football has changed too much -- to being about pressure around the ball, wherever it is, with quick hands and then fast breaks. 3 tall forwards means the ball just gets swept out too easily nowadays. I reckon it sucks and I don't like the style at all nowadays but that's how it is until they do something about it.
Just need 3 big agile quicks.

Football has changed too much -- to being about pressure around the ball, wherever it is, with quick hands and then fast breaks. 3 tall forwards means the ball just gets swept out too easily nowadays. I reckon it sucks and I don't like the style at all nowadays but that's how it is until they do something about it.

I think it's more about which talls, and ensuring the balance is right. Doubt you'll see 3x 195cm or taller types but 1 KPF (ie: Moore), 1 KPF/2nd ruck (ie: Cox), 1 mobile 192-194cm 3rd tall (ie: Goldsack or Fogarty type) would work. Unless you can find an athletic freak like Lee Walker.

2019 (Lose Fasolo Reid to FA, pick up Lynch Sloane and assume Naughton)

Murray McLarty Maynard
Howe Naughton DeGoey

Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Treloar Sidebottom Sloane

Hoskin Moore Elliott
Daicos Lynch Brown

Phillips Langdon Scharenberg Cox

Emer
Aish Crisp Crocker

Last edited:
Think you blokes might be "over reacting" just a tad to the small forward line stuff. When the Tiggy's or anyone else playing the small forwards establish a period of dominance (such as Hawks 2013-2015 or the Lions 2001-2003...both of whom had dominant tall forwards as well as excellent crumbers) THEN you could start discounting tall marking targets who can kick straight. Lets face it the TIGES this year and the Dogs the year before were just in the right spot at the right time with enough fit men. Dominant eras dictate game styles, not one hit wonders.

So which team has that? Last two premiers only one tall in th forward line.

I guess we did have Jesse White....
The Bulldogs had two, Cordy and Boyd and you could almost count Stringer.

Boyd and Corey alternated in the ruck, didn’t they? And stringer plays more as a medium forward really.

Richmond has one - Riewoldt, who isn’t a giant anyway.
Boyd and Roughead alternated in the ruck Cordy was a permanent forward. And whilst whether or not Stringer is a tall or not is up for debate the thing that isn't is his forward pressure is still non existent.

The way Richmond won is still the exception not the rule.

I'll be frothing at our 2019 line-up when it looks like this:

FB: ~ Howe ~ McLarty ~ Crisp
HB: ~ Shaz ~ Reid ~ Coffield

Mid: ~ Sidebottom ~ Treloar ~ Hoskin-Elliott
Fol: ~ Grundy ~ De Goey ~ Pendlebury

HF: ~ Elliott ~ Moore ~ Wells
FF: ~ Fasolo ~ Lynch ~ Kirby

Int: Maynard, Varcoe, Adams, Phillips

Went too soon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019 (Lose Fasolo Reid to FA, pick up Lynch Sloane and assume Naughton)

Murray McLarty Maynard
Howe Naughton DeGoey

Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Treloar Sidebottom Sloane

Hoskin Moore Elliott
Daicos Lynch Brown

Phillips Langdon Scharenberg Cox

Emer
Aish Crisp Crocker
Be a lot more cut by 2019.

Be a lot more cut by 2019.
I didn't use Dunn Goldsack or Wells either, most premiership teams don't have that demographic unless they hang around forever winning them like Hawthorn. Our 2010 flag was based on playing the kids highlighted by the ANZAC day game where we first put our spine in place playing Brown Reid Dawes and Cloke... we need to build toward something similar

Boyd and Corey alternated in the ruck, didn’t they? And stringer plays more as a medium forward really.

Richmond has one - Riewoldt, who isn’t a giant anyway.
As Robroy22 and mike123 mentioned above the Tigers are more likely to be the exception and proves the rule. Avoid hasty conclusions.

Other than that was vital for Richmond is they had one of the few elite KPFs in the AFL as their single tall who was prepared to sacrifice his role to make sure he was in contest after contest even where he was outnumbered. That will prove to be a real exception in my book. Very hard for others to replicate the Riewoldt role. We have no one who could.

As Robroy22 and mike123 mentioned above the Tigers are more likely to be the exception and proves the rule. Avoid hasty conclusions.

Other than that was vital for Richmond is they had one of the few elite KPFs in the AFL as their single tall who was prepared to sacrifice his role to make sure he was in contest after contest even where he was outnumbered. That will prove to be a real exception in my book. Very hard for others to replicate the Riewoldt role. We have no one who could.

Sure. But the year before we had the Bulldogs. And I'm thinking our coaching staff looked at that and thought: that's the future -- hence goodbye Cloke, etc.. and let's rely on Darcy Moore. Anyway, 3 talls? I think you'd find few teams with 3 talls now. Can you think of one?

Improvement in 2018 realistically comes from the core younger group improving together, maturing, collaborating together.....

Moore, De Goey, Maynard, Grundy, Elliott, Treloar, Scharenberg, Hoskins-Elliot, Langdon, Phillips,

Then with the other younger ones something more....

Daicos, Brown, Kirby, McLarty, Sier, Wills....

If enough of them go,up high levels who knows?

And that will determine everything ultimately (and if Cox can become enough of a force for good)

What's your point? The players played badly yes but the had nothing to do with their hieght

The point: the last two premiership teams had small forward lines. Since AFL is usually a game of follow the premiership leader, I think that’s what we’ll see more of. It’s unlikely that teams are going to play 3 talls unless one is super quick and adds heaps of pressure. I.e. someone like Goldsack when he was playing forward.

The point: the last two premiership teams had small forward lines. Since AFL is usually a game of follow the premiership leader, I think that’s what we’ll see more of. It’s unlikely that teams are going to play 3 talls unless one is super quick and adds heaps of pressure. I.e. someone like Goldsack when he was playing forward.
The Dogs till had multiple talls just because none of them were dominant (well Boyd was on the day) people love to change history

I'll be frothing at our 2019 line-up when it looks like this:

FB: ~ Howe ~ McLarty ~ Crisp
HB: ~ Shaz ~ Reid ~ Coffield

Mid: ~ Sidebottom ~ Treloar ~ Hoskin-Elliott
Fol: ~ Grundy ~ De Goey ~ Pendlebury

HF: ~ Elliott ~ Moore ~ Wells
FF: ~ Fasolo ~ Lynch ~ Kirby

Int: Maynard, Varcoe, Adams, Phillips

Went too soon?
You forgot Sloane #lock

Langdon McClarty Murray
Maynard Naughton Howe