List Mgmt. Who do we pick up in the Rookie draft??

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannot see the value on drafting another KP defender in O'Shea.
This is were we need to go small.

He's not a key position defender. More a running defender who provides plenty of rebound.

I just don’t see the point of rookie-listing O’Shea, Shaw or White, we have sufficient defensive cover / utilities as it is, or Boekhorst with L’Ob, Garlett and Schumacher in the door.

I would much rather we add Hickmott, or a small defender who beats his man, or Fowler or Walson from our Development team.

I just don’t see the point of rookie-listing O’Shea, Shaw or White, we have sufficient defensive cover / utilities as it is, or Boekhorst with L’Ob, Garlett and Schumacher in the door.

I would much rather we add Hickmott, or a small defender who beats his man, or Fowler or Walson from our Development team.

If Docherty doesn’t do his ACL, then I don’t think we would be picking him up. Considering he was excellent at the Docherty role in the VFL, circumstances have dictated that we pick him up to provide a senior body like ASOS last year.

Just had a look at the player ratings for Shaw and he racked them up almost every game as an outside winger. Was in the neafl though

Please no.
Can't see that as anything other than a backwards step.

Not adverse to keeping him on the NB's list however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres probably an argument we've picked enough kids. A shaw/boeky and o'shea would boost our vfl and add depth. I'd still give styles a crack and one mature age

Agreed all the rumours are we'll go for at least one mature player with our rookie picks. Maybe 2.

As you say we have enough kids for now and would be good to at least surround them with some mature players in the VFL who could even crack into the senior 22 as depth options.

SOS will be looking at the fact we will also be losing plenty of experience in the next year or 2 like Simmo, Thomas, Rowe etc so will be tactically recruiting mature players with low cost rookie picks like ASOS.

Respect to O'Shea.

Delisted by Port in 2016, moves to VIC and joins us at the Northern Blues and immediately wins the B&F and looking like he's impressed the coaches enough to earn a rookie spot.

Shows great dedication and commitment at the very least and may make good players want to join the Northern Blues to develop and hopefully get drafted which can only be a good thing.

After the year O'Shea had he would have been offered big $$$ to play suburban or country footy somewhere. I can't see him playing much if any senior footy in 2018 but I understand rewarding him with a rookie spot.
We can't underestimate the importance of having senior bodies in the right age demographic running around in the VFL supporting our young talent and keeping the team competitive. An uncompetitive VFL team will stifle our young players development.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Contrary to what others are saying, I'm excited by O'Shea. Not no.1, that went to Dow. Just something about a top 5 pick gets you going.

O'Shea could be a great pickup, it's just a rookie selection after all...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back