Training 2018 - Preseason training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the talk about Cerra and Brayshaw in Round 1, I say play them as high forwards and let others do the heavy lifting in the middle.
Yes, if Cerra and Brayshaw play early you can't imagine it will be as part of the midfield rotation. More likely to be coming off the bench and into a forward pocket and flank.

Which means if Cerra and Brayshaw play early the are fighting for a spot with guys like Ballantyne, Grey, Langdon, maybe Tucker or even one of the lower ranked tallish forwards like Kersten or Cox (personally I would keep both Kersten (if fit) and Cox).

Yes, if Cerra and Brayshaw play early you can't imagine it will be as part of the midfield rotation. More likely to be coming off the bench and into a forward pocket and flank.

Which means if Cerra and Brayshaw play early the are fighting for a spot with guys like Ballantyne, Grey, Langdon, maybe Tucker or even one of the lower ranked tallish forwards like Kersten or Cox (personally I would keep both Kersten (if fit) and Cox).

Balic rotated through at times last year - was probably in the last rotation but he went through nonetheless. Brayshaw and Cerra probably do the same. We’ve got a fair few that can do higher midfield minutes such as Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, SHill, Hill, Blakely, Tucker, Walters etc (left BHill and Langdon off as they’ll be mainly on the wing) but teams throw as many as ten through there these days and I’d be expecting Brayshaw and Cerra to at least be given a small percentage in there if they play.

Last edited:
Balic rotated through at times last year - was probably in the last rotation but he went through nonetheless. Brayshaw and Cerra probably do the same. We’ve got a fair few that can do higher midfield minutes such as Fyfe, Mundy, Neale, SHill, Hill, Blakely, Tucker, Walters etc (left BHill and Langdon off as they’ll be mainly on the wing) but teams through as many as ten throw there these days and I’d be expecting Brayshaw and Cerra to at least be given a small percentage in there if they play.
I agree with you, but Balic had a year on the list already recovering from his wrist.

Personally I would consider Blakeley moving to more midfield time and the new boys doing some of the backline/transition work. Tucker also has more to offer.

Went to my first training for the pre-season yesterday, and it all seemed a little ho-hum. Maybe it was because it’s a friday, or the 30+ degree heat, or the 3hr session, but it all just seemed a little meh to me.

Like others have mentioned, Brayshaw was hard to spot for a first time watcher. Eventually made him out and remember thinking he looked like a boy amongst men. I was surprised. And am putting it down to him wearing a slightly oversized singlet which flapped around in the breeze more than others. Looked like a boy wearing his dads shirt. Wardrobe need to sort him out. Didn’t see many of his drills though.

Whilst on the size of players, looked like Strnadica has bulked up a fair bit. He was with the rehab group but got a good look as he ran laps. Tabs’ transformation continues, and would be almost as significant as Fyfe’s change in physique over the years.

Watched the players practicing 2 on 1 marking at the start. Presumably 2 forwards vs 1 defender, as the kicker would target the deepest forward, whilst the other forward would prevent the defender from pushing back to contend by pretending to mark the ball but leaving it for the original, deeper target. Could also be used by 2 defenders vs 1 forward. They spent a fair bit of time doing this drill, but didn’t notice it once during the sims.

Crowden seemed to pop up regularly during sims. Really like the look of him. Noticed that his “opponents” would go out of their way to rough him up/niggle him. Blakely and Fyfe both gave him a few small gut punches - he responded with the same back to them - was good to see!

Blakely, Fyfe and Mundy were paired in the “bump pad” drills. Two would hold the pads, whilst the other would crash into them. A few nice loud thumps rang around the ground when Fyfe and Blakely would go at it. Next to them were Walters, Langdon and Brad Hill - they were quite ferocious too... for the little ones! Noticed Stephen Hill was easily pushed around and didn’t really want to hit in hard in his group.

Switkowski and Kersten ran plenty of laps. Both are very smooth movers. Sean Darcy was quite active in the rehab group, so his calf niggle is only minor. Apeness doing plenty of agility and running. Sandi and Ballas look in good nick. Dare I say, MJ has a little podge around the middle. Spurr in great nick.

All-in-all a pretty non-descript session. Boys were quite quiet. Was a 3hr session in the heat with minimal rests between drills. But I walked away feeling meh. Excited for the season to start but not holding high expectations (they weren’t high before this session FWIW). Nandos for lunch across the road was delish!

My understanding is that Logue was a rower and basketballer who became a footballer in his mid teens. That would explain his lack of footy nous.

Logue's first couple of games were pretty ordinary. I didn't write him off but he cerrtainly didn't look like a top ten pick. But he improved remarkably and finished the season well. His positioning and match awareness came on in leaps and bounds. Another summer in the gym and on the track will see him as a lock in the best 22 IMO.

I agree with you, but Balic had a year on the list already recovering from his wrist.

Personally I would consider Blakeley moving to more midfield time and the new boys doing some of the backline/transition work. Tucker also has more to offer.

Not that I know the actual statistics but I reckon both our top picks are significantly ahead of him in his first year in terms of endurance. Whilst I expect them to be mainly half forward, maybe even wing or HBF I’d be surprised not to see midfield minutes particularly late in the season when one or two of our better mids are probably missing due to injury.

Blakely for mine is a pure inside mid. He will play mostly mid this year I think.
The club has mentioned on a number of occasions that they like what Blakely was able to produce off the half back flank and that it will be a continued role in the future. Not 100% backline but not necessarily mostly mid.

The club has mentioned on a number of occasions that they like what Blakely was able to produce off the half back flank and that it will be a continued role in the future. Not 100% backline but not necessarily mostly mid.
For what it is worth in the couple of sessions I saw before Christmas Blakely was paired with the defenders in drills. Since they have come back this year (in the four sessions Ive seen) he seems to train exclusively with the midfield group. Personally prefer him midfield.

Two questions for the regular training watchers:

1) Kersten seems to be restricted to running sessions, and someone said he finished near the back in the time trial. Do you think the coaches are disappointed that his fitness seems to need work? Is there a sense that he is on the outer?

2) Lots of reports saw Crowden is looks promising. Do you think he is likely to debut early? When they are doing drills he is working closely with B22 players? Or does it look like he is viewed by the coaches as still having a lot to learn?

I've never been to training so I don't know if its possible to work out the "pecking order" from the training sessions, but I suppose that is what I am getting at here.

1) Kersten seems to be restricted to running sessions, and someone said he finished near the back in the time trial. Do you think the coaches are disappointed that his fitness seems to need work? Is there a sense that he is on the outer?

2) Lots of reports saw Crowden is looks promising. Do you think he is likely to debut early? When they are doing drills he is working closely with B22 players? Or does it look like he is viewed by the coaches as still having a lot to learn?

I've never been to training so I don't know if its possible to work out the "pecking order" from the training sessions, but I suppose that is what I am getting at here.

1. No, I don't think so. I think it is more them trying to build up his tank to play as more of a CHF that can roam up the ground a bit in the mold of Nick Reiwoldt. In my opinion anyway. There has been no indication that the coaches are disappointed. There is usually a few players who do predominantly running during pre-season for a change of role in the side. Spurr and Hamling are 2 who have been doing the same.

2. Honestly, no. I don't see a spot for him at the moment although there is nothing stopping him from forcing his way into the side through performances in the JLT (if he gets a run) and/or for Peel. I also haven't payed enough attention to know what position they may be looking to play him in.

Except he is fit, he's just being regeared for more endurance running. More running would appear to be at the expense of foot skills, which have considerably diminished in the game since the advent of the rolling maul.
What makes you think this? Do you think Kersten is doing less footskills training than in previous pre-seasons?

If
footskills have diminished it is much more likely to be the result of recruiting players with a fitness focus (players such as Blicavs etc), rather than recruiting skilled players and improving their fitness (which is what appears to be happening with Kersten) isn't it?

I am unconvinced that footskills have diminished in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't attend training but I always think it is unlikely that new draftees come into a side early. Of course it does happen. But far better for them to find their feet, understand the requirements of the game plan, and have a successful debut.

The other thing is that Brayshaw, Cerra and North could all expect to be in contention for a debut along with Crowden from the sounds of things. But it would not be great list management to get them all out there in a ruch under normal circumstances. Especially as we already have quite w emerging young guns on the fringe of the best 22 from last season.

What makes you think this? Do you think Kersten is doing less footskills training than in previous pre-seasons?

If
footskills have diminished it is much more likely to be the result of recruiting players with a fitness focus (players such as Blicavs etc), rather than recruiting skilled players and improving their fitness (which is what appears to be happening with Kersten) isn't it?

I am unconvinced that footskills have diminished in the AFL.
Yes. The game is faster, with more pressure and player fatigue. So in-game kicking may have become more ineffective even though "pure" kicking skills probably aren't any worse.

Yes. The game is faster, with more pressure and player fatigue. So in-game kicking may have become more ineffective even though "pure" kicking skills probably aren't any worse.
And that may have happened, but I'm not sure that it has (meaning I haven't seen realistic analysis of this kind of thing to confirm it). Sure players are fitter, but I don't know if they are more fatigued than the less fit players of the past. And the only stuff I see about footskills is anecdotal, and doesn't factor in the multiple changes that have occurred in the game.

And that may have happened, but I'm not sure that it has (meaning I haven't seen realistic analysis of this kind of thing to confirm it). Sure players are fitter, but I don't know if they are more fatigued than the less fit players of the past. And the only stuff I see about footskills is anecdotal, and doesn't factor in the multiple changes that have occurred in the game.
Totally unscientific: for mine players preparing to kick for goals look more fatigued that your average FF of say the 80s or 90s who spent most of the game sitting in goal square and only coming out on a lead say a dozen times a game

Totally unscientific: for mine players preparing to kick for goals look more fatigued that your average FF of say the 80s or 90s who spent most of the game sitting in goal square and only coming out on a lead say a dozen times a game
I also think with mid-field zones & flooding players are often more "ambitious" with their kicks. They try to make more difficult passes to work through the defence, rather than in the old days if just plunking the footy down the line or going for the FF hot spot.
Again the kicking skills may not be worse but the type of kicking is just harder to execute well

I got told he was near the last in the first 2km run. Has been building fitness ever since. Personally I think he looks a heap better now. Im much more of a fan of Shane than most on here. If he could get better at repeat leading I think he will surprise many on here. His pace and foot skills are actually outstanding.

I thought Hamling really struggled to keep up with Kersten when I saw them run together.

From Friday’s training session, I thought Mundy looked very good. He looks fitter than ever, still towers over most midfielders and his field kicking was superb. Not many have mentioned him, but a full preseason could make a difference to his ability to dominate the midfield. Last preseason Mundy was towards the very back end of the 3km. I’d love to know if and by how much he beat his time by this year.

Another point I haven’t read much of, has been the physicality of this year compared to the last two. Perhaps because there are more on the park, there seems to more sims involving tackling and handballing while being tackled.

I also think with mid-field zones & flooding players are often more "ambitious" with their kicks. They try to make more difficult passes to work through the defence, rather than in the old days if just plunking the footy down the line or going for the FF hot spot.
Again the kicking skills may not be worse but the type of kicking is just harder to execute well
Positional play has obviously declined, and in the forward line players are constantly in motion and midfielders swarming around. Big difference from hitting up a wrestling match between Tony Locket and some unfortunate opponent. And when some of those midfielders are the size of Mundy and Fyfe it is quite a different situation from a couple of decades ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back