Universal Love Most Exciting/Happiest Time as a Geelong Supporter

Which was your favourite Grand Final win?

• 2011 Collingwood

• 2009 St Kilda

• 2007 Port Adelaide

• 1963 Hawthorn

• 1952 Collingwood

• 1951 Essendon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield kicked 45 Goals + 32 Behinds
Tomahawk kicked 51 Goals + 26 Behinds
Menzel kicked 40 Goals + 16 Behinds

Dangerfield can be inaccurate, but with all of his skills, he's a sensational player.

Disposals:
Dangerfield 718
Duncan 698
Tuohy 615
Selwood 536
Menegoala 527

Kicks:
Tuohy 375
Duncan 344
Dangerfield 324

Handballs:
Dangerfield 394
Duncan 354
Selwood 247

Marks:
Dangerfield 7th

Tackles:
Scooter 150
Dangerfield 141
Menegola 129
Duncan 128
Selwood 106
if Selwood can't lift his game he's out ............

To call Dangerfield an awful kick remains a spectacularly bad take. He occasionally shanks, but is largely an excellent kick and most of his technique is superb. You don't kick 45 goals in a season as a midfielder with awful kicking technique.
watch the first 3 minutes ...

fabulous kick

Dangerfield kicked 45 Goals + 32 Behinds
Tomahawk kicked 51 Goals + 26 Behinds
Menzel kicked 40 Goals + 16 Behinds

Dangerfield can be inaccurate, but with all of his skills, he's a sensational player.

Disposals:
Dangerfield 718
Duncan 698
Tuohy 615
Selwood 536
Menegoala 527

Kicks:
Tuohy 375
Duncan 344
Dangerfield 324

Handballs:
Dangerfield 394
Duncan 354
Selwood 247

Marks:
Dangerfield 7th

Tackles:
Scooter 150
Dangerfield 141
Menegola 129
Duncan 128
Selwood 106

Good numbers. Worth bearing in mind that Menz is the best set shot in the league, so a bit of a harsh comparison. I think the Tomahawk numbers suggest that the line between two players kicking can often be quite fine/turn on a few kicks.

Yes 89 was fantastic ride

Even the disappointment of the GF loss was tempered by how great the game was and the (naive) belief we were on cusp of winning multiple flags
GAS winning the Norm Smith offered some solace to me

Was it 95 when Matera took us apart? I was at that GF and I was high at half time and depressed from then on. He was awesome that day, as were a few others. I cant remember if Matera won the Norm Smith, but he should have....
\
Yes, yes of course.

One of the most miserable second halves of football I have sat through...particularly so as it was a GF.

The Carlton GF defeat was miserable from the beginning.
Considering we led by 12 points at half time, that last half was devastating.

Sumich kicked six goals + Matera kicked five Goals, had 18 Disposals, played on the Wing. Matera booted that massive, 60m running goal from the right Forward Flank to give the Eagles the lead :( WCE were really fired up when GAS belted Don Pyke, yet Geelong was 28 points ahead in Q2. Malthouse gave all the WC players 'Death before Defeat' written on paper.

That 92GF loss was so disheartening, especially with the rumours that WCE were using anabolic steroids, denied by WCE, who credited Matt Barber with increasing the players' muscle through weights training, Vitamin B, protein + amino acids, along with a routine of healthy diet, strength + conditioning training.

That 92GF loss was so disheartening, especially with the rumours that WCE were using anabolic steroids, denied by WCE, who credited Matt Barber with increasing the players' muscle through weights training, Vitamin B, protein + amino acids, along with a routine of healthy diet, strength + conditioning training.
has anything happened since then to indicate they were on drugs ? ;)

watch the first 3 minutes ...

fabulous kick

Those two left-foot kicks by Dangerfield + Taylor, from the boundary were magnificent!

Menzel's first goal on the run across the goal square - beauty in motion.

Then the scare when Bulldogs turned their 32 point deficit to lead by nine points in Q3.

Dangerfield was in the zone that night, if he could kick that accurately (4.0 that game), he'd be right up there for the Coleman!

Good numbers. Worth bearing in mind that Menz is the best set shot in the league, so a bit of a harsh comparison. I think the Tomahawk numbers suggest that the line between two players kicking can often be quite fine/turn on a few kicks.
I think we should be aware that Tomahawk is probably the most unselfish FF, in that video of the Geelong -v- Bulldogs game, which candiehappy posted, he gave the ball, twice, to other players, who were in a better position to score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s him.

Good work HK. Your memory obviously isn’t as degraded as mine :(
Thanks Cataholic, all those years of taking my Mum to Swans games at the SCG has finally returned a dividend lol

has anything happened since then to indicate they were on drugs ? ;)

Not forgetting the teams we met in following GF's.....pumped up WCE players and salary cap cheats at Carlton....
Candiehappy, perhaps David has more information?

IIRC, the only players to say anything publicly were Dale Lewis + Jason Akermanis. Lewis was slammed by Demetriou + the AFL, ostracised by the Swans players + Richard Colless. Akermanis: because Braun out ran him, whereas Aker had out run him previously - so it was alleged by Aker that Braun was on steroids.

Rhys-Jones said in his book there were rumours WCE + Fitzroy players took steroids. It was implied by Brereton, Gary Lyons + other former players from that era.

Most of the comments relate to the dramatic change in size of WCE players from 1989 - being like Zuthrie toothpicks, to transforming massive Hulks.

The :poo: stuck to WCE because of Matt Barber, who trained sprinter, Dean Capobianco, banned for four years for steroid use.

Then Barber quit his job at Wesley College for giving a student 'steroid' tablets containing baking powder (sodium bicarbonate), which delays fatigue in athletes by acting as a buffer against the build-up of lactic acid. Barber said baking powder was given regularly to elite athletes + AFL players.

Most of the later accusations, Dale Lewis' too, were regarding recreational drug use at WCE, more evidence available on that, but still a lot of rumour.

Best rumour about WCE steroid use relates to John Worsfold being a pharmacist + then becoming an Essendon coach four years too late ;)

WCE were really fired up when GAS belted Don Pyke, yet Geelong was 28 points ahead in Q2. Malthouse gave all the WC players 'Death before Defeat' written on paper.

My recollection is that Pyke lined up GAS to flatten him.....

Didn't go well for him.
Went very badly for Pyke.

Pyke ran into shepherd, as he went to bump GAS, he belted his head on to Ablett's elbow! Clearly, Pyke was the aggressor! But whether Pyke began it, or not, the result was still the same - GAS belted him + Pyke passed out :p

Still, in defence of GAS, apparently he always warned oppo players that if they came too close to him, he'd flatten them, or knock their heads off ;)

Thinking + hoping about our 2018 Season, what would be the most exciting success to make this your happiest year as a Cats supporter?

What are you most looking forward to;

What could this year provide to surpass your Most Exciting/Happiest Time as a Geelong Supporter;

Do you have hopes + dreams for a particular player?

Thinking + hoping about our 2018 Season, what would be the most exciting success to make this your happiest year as a Cats supporter?

What are you most looking forward to: Seeing our Fab Five Midfield

What could this year provide to surpass your Most Exciting/Happiest Time as a Geelong Supporter: A premiership, with our players winning all the AFL honours

Do you have hopes + dreams for a particular player? My biggest hope is for Joel Selwood, I'm desperate for him to be fit, all injuries in the past + for him to have such a blistering hot year that he wins the Brownlow.

Back