Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved Ebony Antonio’s aggression today. On a side note, I never knew her partner is Kara Donnellin.
OMG - dream couple! :rainbow::hearteyes:

BTW today:

5: Hooker
4: Antonio
3: Webb (best kick in the team for accuracy and distance).
2. O'Sullivan
1. Miller (should've given off but got a bit over-excited and then missed).

A very good performance.

Today's crowd of 42,000 is higher than any home attendance for a Fremantle Men's match ever.

It's a pity this will be the only women's match played at Perth Stadium this season.

Did any West Coast fans attend and cross to the 'dark side'?
You mean FROM the dark side o_O

I went today and really enjoyed it. They were hard at it and put on a good show.

I would say quite a few teething problems at the stadium. I have recently had a knee op and really tested out access for someone with some limitations on mobility. I am absolutely exhausted from all the walking, standing, queueing and stairs I had to negotiate. Some of the escalators were not working. Had to wait ages for a bus home.

Seats are spacious and view is good, though our seats are a long way from the action.

I went today and really enjoyed it. They were hard at it and put on a good show.

I would say quite a few teething problems at the stadium. I have recently had a knee op and really tested out access for someone with some limitations on mobility. I am absolutely exhausted from all the walking, standing, queueing and stairs I had to negotiate. Some of the escalators were not working. Had to wait ages for a bus home.

Seats are spacious and view is good, though our seats are a long way from the action.

I had to carry my daighter up and down stairs so the flow of human traffic didn't stop.

I was really impressed with the layout and accessibility of food and drink, toilets plus the event staff were really friendly unlike some at Subi.

Overall a great first impression

Had to wait ages for a bus home.

Today may have been running the guinea pigs through the lab maze to see how many died due to fixables.

We sat next to the cheer squad and our seats are in Block 511 but I'm thinking it'll be fine because it looks like a well designed and built kinda joint.
Enjoyed the footy too.
Hadn't watched a lot of the women's on the squawk box but at the game it was very watchable.
Impressive bunch,thought Ms Webb made quite a difference first half;run,brains and skills.
You'd put a close check on Hooker or regret it,she's a competitor you'd want on your side.
Don't know why but she reminded me of our inaugural skipper Ben Allen.
Great to see them have a creditable result.
The new toy's good but it's a bit further out than Subi and covers a few more hectares,I think egress issues may continue a little too long.

A very good performance.

Today's crowd of 42,000 is higher than any home attendance for a Fremantle Men's match ever.

It's a pity this will be the only women's match played at Perth Stadium this season.

Did any West Coast fans attend and cross to the 'dark side'?

Yes, though I was decked out in purple for the game (which I thoroughly enjoyed).
(enjoyed the game, that is. Not the being decked out in purple part ;) )
Good game, good crowd. Impressed with the stadium.
Interesting viewing angles. The way that the playing surface is significantly lower than even the front row of seats meant that from where I was - about 2/3rds of the way back of level 1 - made it pretty tricky to see action on the boundary line directly in front. Other than that it's good viewing. Went up to level 5 for a look - it's really steep but is not set too far back. Legroom not exactly brilliant, but ok, and the seat seemed a tad wider than Subi which was good. No being squeezed from both sides.
The electronic scoreboards are crystal clear. i.e. way better quality than Subi.
Thumbs up from me.
Ex-basketballers seem to make pretty good AFLW players.

First time at an AFLW game for me and its been pretty good so far. It looks like the umps allow more contact than the men to me?

Yeah felt like that to me too. A lot of dragging down in marking contests and tackling without the ball being let go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went with the family today, had a great time

New stadium
The sun seemed like it may be a problem, there were a few blocks in direct sun that were almost entirely vacant for the whole day and from where I was sitting in block 305 the sun was in my eyes in the 4th quarter, would advise a hat and maybe sunglasses if I were to sit there again.
I don't know what the wind was like at ground level but from where I was it was swirling quite a bit and reasonably strongly.
Overall I thought the stadium was awesome and the public transport was better than my (admittedly slightly low) expectations.

Football
I thought for the first half of the first quarter we seemed really flat and uninterested, Collingwood were beating us purely by getting numbers to the fall of the ball, this was incredibly effective given very few marks were being taken early in the match. Freo then lifted and played superbly by comparison, outworking and outskilling Collingwood for the most part. I wasn't entirely sure of all the players names or able to identify them from the distance but generally our backs took some very good marks, Donellan did so when Collingwood were surging in the last. A couple of the backs were a bit slow to move the ball on when options were there and there were some shocking turnovers, but hopefully they will be ironed out with a bit more time. The mids and forwards were consistently giving effort, Filocamo seems less fit than her teammates but always put her body on the line and did a great job when the tough work needed to be done. Antonio was very good and Miller I think was also good, but should've run in further or passed off that shot on goal.

Womens football (umpiring rant)
The standard of the players has definitely lifted from last year (I saw every game in Perth last year) and the atmosphere was really good as well. However, and for mine this is a big however, the umpiring if anything was worse than last season. The umpires were very reluctant to call anything but the most obvious of holding the ball decisions. I don't mind a free flowing game without interference from the umpires, but when it comes to player safety it becomes a lot more significant. I saw multiple instances of what I would expect in the Men's competition to be called high contact, soccering in danger, tunnelling and a couple of tummy punches. Instances of all of these happened in full view of the umpires and they were all waved on. A friend of mine said he knows the umpires and said that they are generally WAFL reserve level umpires, if this is true, given I have no real way of confirming easily then I feel like this is incredibly insulting to the women and is indicative of how seriously the AFL take the competition given the 'premier' umpires have been umpiring intraclub matches for the mens teams etc. instead. The way the game was being umpired felt like a real issue for player safety and the only way it will be stopped is if the umpires are capable.

Overall I really enjoyed the game and the experience, it was good to see some footy again and good to see the dockers jumper out on a footy field again

However, and for mine this is a big however, the umpiring if anything was worse than last season. The umpires were very reluctant to call anything but the most obvious of holding the ball decisions. I don't mind a free flowing game without interference from the umpires, but when it comes to player safety it becomes a lot more significant. I saw multiple instances of what I would expect in the Men's competition to be called high contact, soccering in danger, tunnelling and a couple of tummy punches. Instances of all of these happened in full view of the umpires and they were all waved on. A friend of mine said he knows the umpires and said that they are generally WAFL reserve level umpires, if this is true, given I have no real way of confirming easily then I feel like this is incredibly insulting to the women and is indicative of how seriously the AFL take the competition given the 'premier' umpires have been umpiring intraclub matches for the mens teams etc. instead. The way the game was being umpired felt like a real issue for player safety and the only way it will be stopped is if the umpires are capable.
Ditto:Correct weight!

Yep don't know why people are bitching about transport- going there felt like going to Subi but coming home was smooth as

Probably because it's a different experience depending on where you're coming from. Seems like those on the Armadale line have had the best of it so far (?)

Still time to suss it all out though, makes me glad that we'll be playing there after WC since we should benefit from the adjustments they'll make after rd 1

Webb was sensational - she is the Brad Hill of the women's team, arguably with better disposal :))) and better defensively (relatively of course). Made a massive difference imo. Her ability to close down space when the opposition had the ball was huge, and some of her kicking was unreal.

Hooker was probably BOG though. She was everywhere. Made a few disposal errors that led to turnovers but she more than made up for them. Donnellan wasn't as visible but she was still very important in winning the ball and keeping the opposition accountable - as someone else mentioned she takes control when she has to - seems a bit of a yard stick for the team.

Miller played a great game too. Her line breaking speed is useful and thought she was good last week as well but can't remember her making any mistakes today.

Does anyone know how many intercept marks Antonio took? She was reading the ball very well in the backline and credit to her teammates for being more accountable and allowing her to do that.

The forward line is starting to work better. I'd probably single out Caulfield as the one that I noticed the most. Great pressure, looked fast and agile, and always looked dangerous when the ball was around. Some of the goal kicking by our players was excellent today. Barr took some great marks, Lavell presented well and provided some strong leadership up forward.

Am in two minds about Filocamo. Thought she made a few too many mistakes but also thought she did some good hard work inside that we needed. If Green was playing I'm not sure we'd need her though. Is she fit enough? So the original selections were probably bang on imo. Feel a bit similarly about Cain. She did some good things today but can also make some silly decisions at times.

I think Houghton made a difference also. I didn't notice her as much as some key games last season but she did some pretty amazing things still - in one passage her athleticism to move the ball forward was sensational. Think Janz deserves some credit as well - she rucked well but more importantly put her body on the line for some great smothers and tackles. When your ruck is doing those things it's hard for the other players to have valid excuses why they weren't.

Liked the work of Mascall - she seems to be building well. Williams was solid and is quality. Gooch was great at times. Atkins and Sharp did some good work but didn't stand out to me. Also didn't notice Smith, Davidson, O'Sullivan and White much but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Spoke to Bowers very briefly before the game. She says she's a couple of weeks away hopefully. Hooker, Donnellan and Bowers with Miller and Webb on the outside seems a good midfield to build around.

Overall an almost four quarter effort from the team and they controlled the game for the vast majority and deserved the win. Collingwood really only got a look in at all due to some silly decision making. So glad they put in the effort and got the reward. Hopefully they can take some of that confidence in to next week's game.

Probably because it's a different experience depending on where you're coming from. Seems like those on the Armadale line have had the best of it so far (?)

Still time to suss it all out though, makes me glad that we'll be playing there after WC since we should benefit from the adjustments they'll make after rd 1

I came from the Mandurah line ,in the city for the change over it was packed ,but coming from the stadium the windy walk to the station platforms definitely helped with minimising congestion.Having two simultaneous trains load up on passengers (to Perth)also helped. Thank fukk we don't have to do the Leederville- Mandurah method ever again

Last edited:
What a the chances of that being on the back page of the Western Australian in the morning? :D
Not likely :) Just like them playing there again in the near future , They do not have any more this year , And beyond that is anybodys guess

My 4yr old daughter and I absolutely loved the day, we were in 309 and the sun was on us for all but the first 10 mins of the game - as was quite a large swathe of the seating on the eastern side.
Can anyone advise what the deal is with the composite gravel stuff they have used on the flooring at ground level ??? Seems a bit strange - although very grippy underfoot (prob just answered my own question)
you wouldn’t want to take a fall on it....

Re the transport, we squeezed on at Warwick just after 2pm and only 2 of us fitted into the train carriage. About 10 souls left behind at each door and no one at any stop thereafter had any chance of getting on . I’m guessing they’ll load more trains on until the bridge is open ??

Loved the footy, a couple of our girls really stood out

Webb was sensational - she is the Brad Hill of the women's team, arguably with better disposal :))) and better defensively (relatively of course). Made a massive difference imo. Her ability to close down space when the opposition had the ball was huge, and some of her kicking was unreal.

Hooker was probably BOG though. She was everywhere. Made a few disposal errors that led to turnovers but she more than made up for them. Donnellan wasn't as visible but she was still very important in winning the ball and keeping the opposition accountable - as someone else mentioned she takes control when she has to - seems a bit of a yard stick for the team.

Miller played a great game too. Her line breaking speed is useful and thought she was good last week as well but can't remember her making any mistakes today.

Does anyone know how many intercept marks Antonio took? She was reading the ball very well in the backline and credit to her teammates for being more accountable and allowing her to do that.

The forward line is starting to work better. I'd probably single out Caulfield as the one that I noticed the most. Great pressure, looked fast and agile, and always looked dangerous when the ball was around. Some of the goal kicking by our players was excellent today. Barr took some great marks, Lavell presented well and provided some strong leadership up forward.

Am in two minds about Filocamo. Thought she made a few too many mistakes but also thought she did some good hard work inside that we needed. If Green was playing I'm not sure we'd need her though. Is she fit enough? So the original selections were probably bang on imo. Feel a bit similarly about Cain. She did some good things today but can also make some silly decisions at times.

I think Houghton made a difference also. I didn't notice her as much as some key games last season but she did some pretty amazing things still - in one passage her athleticism to move the ball forward was sensational. Think Janz deserves some credit as well - she rucked well but more importantly put her body on the line for some great smothers and tackles. When your ruck is doing those things it's hard for the other players to have valid excuses why they weren't.

Liked the work of Mascall - she seems to be building well. Williams was solid and is quality. Gooch was great at times. Atkins and Sharp did some good work but didn't stand out to me. Also didn't notice Smith, Davidson, O'Sullivan and White much but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Spoke to Bowers very briefly before the game. She says she's a couple of weeks away hopefully. Hooker, Donnellan and Bowers with Miller and Webb on the outside seems a good midfield to build around.

Overall an almost four quarter effort from the team and they controlled the game for the vast majority and deserved the win. Collingwood really only got a look in at all due to some silly decision making. So glad they put in the effort and got the reward. Hopefully they can take some of that confidence in to next week's game.

Great summary!
And agreed lots of contributors. Found a good one in Webb, usual suspects did well. Disposal better, forward line more potent, intent and execution improving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back